WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I've just been offered an even trade for my full set Bremont Alt1-C Cream Dial for a watch only IWC Aquatimer 2000 . Given my current collection (in my signature), I don't have a "pure" diver, so the idea of rounding things out is tempting, but I am quite attached to the Bremont as well. Given my feelings are evenly split on the matter, any thoughts on whether this would be a good trade to make?

The contenders:

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
Personally, if I'm going for the one diver to be in a collection, IWC isn't the way I'd go.

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Tough call. I do like the Aquatimer and always thought it stood out nicely from the crowded field of divers. I particularly like the current blue dialed version. The Bremont is the nicer looking of the two though, and I’m a sucker for chronographs. I’d vote to keep what you got.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, if I'm going for the one diver to be in a collection, IWC isn't the way I'd go.
Interesting comment. Since I already have my Rolly, Omega and Seiko reps (and my personal approach to collecting is not to "repeat" brands when possible), what would be the brand/model that would best exemplify "diver" in the Bremont's price range?

Pelagos? But it just seems so... Sub-like.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
Interesting comment. Since I already have my Rolly, Omega and Seiko reps (and my personal approach to collecting is not to "repeat" brands when possible), what would be the brand/model that would best exemplify "diver" in the Bremont's price range?

Pelagos? But it just seems so... Sub-like.
All I was saying is when I think of IWC I don't think diver. And I didn't know you didn't want to repeat brands. I have no issue doing that.

If thats an issue, sure get the IWC.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
Hi all,

I've just been offered an even trade for my full set Bremont Alt1-C Cream Dial for a watch only IWC Aquatimer 2000 . Given my current collection (in my signature), I don't have a "pure" diver, so the idea of rounding things out is tempting, but I am quite attached to the Bremont as well. Given my feelings are evenly split on the matter, any thoughts on whether this would be a good trade to make?

The contenders:

Collecting via a checklist is usually a bad idea. One uses a checklist when buying a groceries. When one buys wine, you go for what you like.

That said, even discounting my dislike of divers, I wouldn't. The IWC has a generic misspelled logo dime a dozen watch from a flea market appearance. Bremont at least put some engineering in the case.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Agree that the IWC is rather plain whereas your Bremont is quite lovely. There are a lot of much more attractive divers in the sea.

·
Banned
4,239 Posts
The Bremont is a nice looking bi-compax chrono that I quite like and the IWC is also an appealing design. For me i would keep the Bremont.

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Hi all,

The contenders:

View attachment 16018242

View attachment 16018179

Yes, in a heartbeat. I believe Bremont's are overpriced, so you're getting a deal (IMHO).

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It truly depends on what catches your fancy kapatid. I would keep the Bremont. There are different options on various price categories.

Perhaps a BB58, Seiko MMs, Omega Seamaster or PO, Sinn likewise have great divers. If these are too common, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
If you don't love the IWC you're going to have a harder time getting rid of it without box and papers. If you were jumping way up, maybe, but you're not. You like the Bremont, and the grass isn't greener.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have not been in a situation like this, but no box, no papers, chrono24 listings around 3-4k with box and papers, that would be a big no for me.
This is a key point.

Do you know the trader?

Are you buying this trader as you would a seller?

If the trader checks out, then it's just a numbers and passion game.

Reactions: vmgotit and JLittle

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Maybe look for the previous version aquatimer 2000 or even the one before that such a nice fitting watch and 42mm is a sweet spot.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
I would make the trade in a heartbeat - I love this model - I own about 30divers and was looking at this exact model/colour 2 weeks ago - if I hadnt recently bought a Planet ocean, this would be mine

The IWC Aquatimer is a beautiful diver - far from being derivative, they are a world class historic highly respected manufacture and this watch is pure form following function

The lack of box n papers may lose 10% of its retail value if you move it on - but the photo shows the watch is in super condition - barely a mark on it

Personally, I think Bremont overpriced and, unlike the IWC, derivative & somewhat gimmicky

I might not do a straight swap as I reckon your watch is worth 500 quid more
- so I would want some dosh and with the dosh I would source a model correct IWC box n bits

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Yes, in a heartbeat. I believe Bremont's are overpriced, so you're getting a deal (IMHO).
hah - read your reply after I wrote mine - great minds etc

Reactions: teckel12
1 - 20 of 49 Posts