WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Just out of curiosity: Lets say that all of the sudden you get a $5,000 bonus, would you rather have 2 watches for that, or 1? Same goes for any other amount, is there a certain amount where you'd draw the line and have to get 2 or more?

·
Premium Member
8,088 Posts
I don't really make decisions based on the number of watches I can buy with a certain amount of money, but on what watch(es) I want and how much it will cost me. The only factor other than a desire for the watch is can I buy it with cash. If I can't, how much credit am I willing to use.

So I guess my answer would be, I'd be half way to a Zenith El Primero Striking 10th.

Reactions: akasnowmaaan

·
Banned
750 Posts
This is a difficult question to answer.
I personally don't look so much at how many watches can I get for £x. For example I love the Skyfall PO, but would I rather have it than a regular PO and a Speedmaster Racing? Nope. I like the look of a few Citizens, but would I rather have two of them than one particular Vostok that is twice the price? Again, nope.
I am self employed and I really do have to earn every penny I make, so if I were to actually think about how much most watches I have cost, I doubt I would have bought any of them.
What you really need to do is look for the watch you want and decide if you are willing to do what is required to have it, be that saving up, credit (that you can afford), missing out on something else, whatever.
If you think too much about purchases you will never buy anything.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
It all depends on the amount. In your case of $5k, I'd rather have just one as this is closer to the price of most watches I'm interested in. However if you said $50k, then I'd definitely rather have two (or four). The price where I'd start considering two instead of one would be around $10k to $15k.

·
Banned
750 Posts
I thought I would get responses like this :p, its not about the price tag, its about what you want. Right?
Yes and no. There are watches that I would like but won't pay for. There are watches that I like but CAN'T pay for even if I were willing. A high price can make a desirable watch unattractive but a low price cannot do the reverse.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If I had the money I would go for the "one"... simple logic: it's going to be easier to save up for one of the cheaper watches you wanted...

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I thought I would get responses like this :p, its not about the price tag, its about what you want. Right?
Hmmmm - not really. Well - to an extent.

I was looking at an absolutely fantastic Patek as a potential purchase for late next year if things went well at work (5496P). But I just cannot justify the price in my head.

For the same money I could get two Patek annual calendars, an ALS grande lange and a Rolex Milgauss.

So for me there is a point (I think) I just cannot go past.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I thought I would get some responses like this :p, its not about the price tag, its about what you want. Right?
That's my realization. I sold several watches, including a Planet Ocean, because I deep down, really, truly wanted a 16710 GMT-Master II. Haven't regretted my decision for a second.

·
Registered
313 Posts
5k bonus...so that'd be maybe 3k after taxes. I'd probably save up for a single watch at that point. I've already got all the affordable I need...and some. Someone needs to make it fashionable to wear multiple watches at once. LOL.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
If you went ahead and gave me $5k to spend on watches as I see fit I'd put it towards a Breitling Navitimer or Montbrillant which are my (rather modest) grails. Some people would go out and spread that $5k across 3 or 4 watches, but I just think it depends on your own outlook on watch collection. Some people like to have lots of watches, others just a couple. It also depends on what you have in your collection, and what niche needs filling. For me the only niche that is left is 'grail', so that's what I'd do. I don't really have any need for more affordables, so I'd just go towards the big one.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
If I had 5k in the watch budget at one time, I would be buying one watch, not two.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I'll buy whichever watch I love at whatever the price as long as I can afford it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry if I'm going off topic as I'm new to this site but how can I create a new thread as I wish to ask a question on a particular watch?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Recently had a dream along these lines. I'd won 11k on the pokies, my subconscious was driving the dream, I got to a mental budget in the dream of 4.5k to spend immediately on a used Rolex explorer, and my wife got the rest.

That, I figured was my ceiling.

Of no help to you OP I'm sure, but maybe some food for introspection.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Hey guys,

Just out of curiosity: Lets say that all of the sudden you get a $5,000 bonus, would you rather have 2 watches for that, or 1? Same goes for any other amount, is there a certain amount where you'd draw the line and have to get 2 or more?
recently had that happen to me and went with one more expensive one I wanted than two cheaper which I didnt want as much.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It depends on what I have and what I want at the moment. Today if I was to spend $5,000 it would be on one watch. Five years ago I'd have bought two.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts