WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about selling my AT 8500 to fund the purchase of a Rolex GMT II 16710 coke bezel version...

(Flame suit on) opinions wanted, for and against

sell this

for this

(image borrowed from the web)

·
Registered
628 Posts
How much are you looking to spend out of pocket after the potential sale of the AT? Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the AT, and I love the look of the Coke GMT. However, I've never seen or handled a GMT Master II. I'd vote off the sale if you weren't wearing the Aqua Terra very much.

·
Banned
127 Posts
I personally wouldn't because I'm not a fan of the bezel and the magnifier on the rolex. Also I think the dial on the rolex is too plain compared to the AT.

But that's just me. With what these watches cost, wear what makes you happy.

·
Registered
910 Posts
It really depends on what your looking for, if you feel that the AT is not going to get worn and you are really wanting the GMT as you think you with get more wear and use, I say go for it. It really comes down to where you are at in your life and what you feel is best for you, as we as your lifestyle. Best of luck with your decision.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a few watches on the want list, I have had a desire for the explorer 112470 for a while but I am unsure of the 36mm size. I have tried a GMT II 16710 and I like the look / fit and I am after a GMT watch to add to my collection.
I also like the older explorer II with the white dial and black hands but I have enough white dialled watches at the moment especially if I sell off a couple of other watches instead of the AT.

too many watches on the want list and not enough pennies to buy them all.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think it really depends on what you want. Like others have said..given the money you spend on these watches, wear what makes YOU happy.

They are both great watches. :)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
5,692 Posts
I have a few watches on the want list, I have had a desire for the explorer 112470 for a while but I am unsure of the 36mm size. I have tried a GMT II 16710 and I like the look / fit and I am after a GMT watch to add to my collection.
I also like the older explorer II with the white dial and black hands but I have enough white dialled watches at the moment especially if I sell off a couple of other watches instead of the AT.

too many watches on the want list and not enough pennies to buy them all.....
I would possibly sell the AT for the new 39mm Explorer but not for that GMT.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Pepsi is a classic, but the upgrades on the new explorers really are nice. The watches are completely different styles, so if you can't have them all, you should go with your gut on what will get the most wear.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I finally had to give up on the AT and go over to Rolex. Had a coke 16710 but it wore small compared to my other sport watches. Finally ended up with the 42mm EXPII:

The rotatable bezel is just another something to break. Plus, I love the way light dances off the SS bezel - especially the colored lights this time of year.

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
My personal experience selling an AT8550 was that the resale value was not very good. However, it was getting no wrist time. I sold it because I knew that I should have purchased the smaller midsize 38.5mm. But that's just me.
If the AT8500 is not getting wrist time, then it should go if you prefer the Rolex. If it comes down to resale value, I would consider how much extra you have to put in the pot to get the Rolex. If you don't like the Rolex in the end, it will probably be easier to resale than the AT.
The AT8500 is more versatile. It could be considered a dress watch, where the Rolex is not. Just my opinion. The AT is also good for casual wear.
I love the 8500 movement. With the hour hand adjusting independently, it is almost a GMT. That adds more to the versatility.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
I most definitely would, I don't feel nearly as strongly about the 8500 series as I do about the 2500 series

That being said, I would sell my 2500 AT for cash towards a Rolex, but it would have to be the right Rolex

Reactions: ringoboy

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wow, I'm quite surprised that many vote for the sale!

I agree with most that if the AT is not getting much wrist time then it should be used to fund another watch but I personally dun really like that GMT that ya showed. Juz never liked that bi-colored bezel and 24 hr hand! But the current GMT IIc would a different story! Same for the EXP and EXP II!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts