WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AD knows I’ve been looking for sports steel models and gives me a call every now and then to keep let me know if anything interesting has come in.

So anyway, I got a call and he asked if I would be interested in a two tone Daytona they just got in.

It gave me a little pause, but I passed on it. I’m probably not a big enough fish to ever get a SS Daytona out of them, but at +16k msrp on the two tone I’m in the range that I could just go to the grey market for the SS ceramic version I would rather have.

What are your feelings on a two tone Daytona? Would you take one now, or hold out the pipe dream of getting a ceramic Daytona out of the AD?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Only purchase if you like it. $16k is too much to waste on something you don’t want.

I love the ceramic Daytona but not the other versions. If I had to spend ~$16k on a TT Rolex, I would take a Skydweller over a Daytona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Rolex lost me as a customer with the Daytona fiasco of some years ago (and apparently still going on). I bought a Speedmaster Professional and like it better in every way. Used, back around 2001-2, it cost me $1550 and included an Omega Dual Rail strap which I sold last year for a couple hundred. I own three Rolex five digit references and will not buy another Rolex again. I bought my last one in 2006 and that was it (my 16710 that I bought new for $2450 from an AD in Ketchum that lost their Rolex dealership).

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think it wouldn't hurt to ask if you can check it out in the flesh. Photos often doesn't do the watch justice. Also if you are going to go two tone. Rolex probably is the best in the industry, at least in my book anyway, even sports models like submariner and GMT in two tone is done beautifully by them.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
but at +16k msrp on the two tone I’m in the range that I could just go to the grey market for the SS ceramic version I would rather have.
no you're not, the cheapest SS ceramic available at this moment on Chrono24 is 21.500 USD, that's 5.5k more than the TT msrp

What are your feelings on a two tone Daytona? Would you take one now, or hold out the pipe dream of getting a ceramic Daytona out of the AD?
it all depends on your age, health, work related risk... life expectancy in other words.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
I see two options...

If you really want the SS Daytona, keep pressing the AD on the Daytona and simply just ask him if you buy this TT Daytona will it qualify you for the SS Daytona. Get the TT, flip it right away, hopefully you won’t lose too much on it. Hopefully they’ll call you for the SS Daytona soon.

Since you’re considering settling for a TT Daytona at $16K, pay $5K to $6K more, and get that SS Daytona from a trusted grey seller.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am totally opposed to playing the flipping game to try to move up on the mythical Daytona SS list. I also think the TT Daytona is beautiful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts