WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys leave your Chinese Mechanicals (the ones you rarely wear) wound or unwound?

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,210 Posts
Most of my watches are hand-winding only. I wind them when I want to wear them, or occasionally wind them the preceding day if I know I'm going to need a particular watch and don't want to waste time setting it in the morning. Whenever I pick up an automatic, I always have to give it a couple of turns to get it started, except on the rare occasion that I want to wear the same watch as yesterday.

I don't understand why anybody would invest in an electricity-eating, noise and ozone-generating rotating watch-agitator, instead of letting their watches rest occasionally. JMHO.

·
CMW & Sales Moderator
5,498 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Mostly for my watches that don't hand wind like my Orients. It's nice to be able to pick up a watch and the time and date is already set and ready to wear. It also allows me to see which watches are keeping the best time over time. I also read that it's better for the watch if keeps running. Because I travel every week and I only take two watches with me on trips, all of my other watches would be run down when I return. It's convenient for me.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Do you guys leave your Chinese Mechanicals (the ones you rarely wear) wound or unwound?
If I only had half a dozen watches, I would keep them all wound just because I enjoy the exercise.
But with the number I have accumulated, it would be close to a two hour job to wind them all at a sitting..

As a result, I leave most to do what ever they are going to do and keep the half dozen I like most running...just because I like to :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Newbie question: is it better to keep unworn watches wound, or to only do so when they're worn?

As a fairly new convert to watches, and mechanical watches in particular, I wasn't sure what would be better for the overall maintenance of my collection. Is it better to wind all of my watches every day and keep them continually running, or to let them sit and deal with the hassle of winding and setting them only when I decide to work them into the rotation? Thanks so much for helping out a noob!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: Newbie question: is it better to keep unworn watches wound, or to only do so when they're worn?

Some people buy watch winders to keep their automatics wound when not being worn. I don't feel the need for one. I have a complicated automatic (day/date/month/moonphase) that I keep manually wound because it's a pain to set it. I have 2 automatics with date complication that I generally wear at least every other day and generally have some reserve left in them. I have a manual-wind with no complications thats a breeze to set and I just let it run down. It all depends on the level of effort/expense you want to go to to pick up a mechanical watch and go.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Re: Newbie question: is it better to keep unworn watches wound, or to only do so when they're worn?

Get ready for a hundred different opinions. :) This isn't a newbie question because even the experts can't agree. |>

I personally have 4 autos. I wear one a day and keep the others on a brookstone quadwinder so the others are always ready for action.

·
Registered
205 Posts

If this at all answers your question - you're not going to hurt a watch by leaving it unwound. Though, as time goes by you're going to run the risk of lubricants drying up, etc., but in that case you're talking about a long period of time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts