WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

As some of you know, I'm on holiday in Spain with my girlfriend. We were having a great time until today when things have gone very wrong.

Basically, we come here a lot and know how often people's belongings are stolen from tourists. We're always incredibly vigilant but depsite this, somebody managed to steal my beach bag today.

It happened whilst I went for a swim and my girlfriend was lay on her sunbed, more or less on top of the bag!

The bag contained my iPhone, some clothes and worst of all, our car\apartment keys. After the initial shock of realising the bag had been taken, I then thought to myself "the car!". Yep, that had gone as well.

I honesrly could not believe what was happening. I used the local bar's phone to call the car hire people to give me the registration number of the car. The woman on the phone was incredibly, incredibly rude and had no remorse. She never asked if we were okay and was only bothered about the car.

She told us that because the keys were stolen, we were liable for the car! I told her that our bag had been stolen and it had the keys in but she wasn't interested. We're liable as far as they are concerned.

I've changed the locks in the apartment as the car hire contract was in the boot of the car... as is expected by the police here. It contained our address so there was no way I'm risking our safety.

We've been to the police station and signed a statement.

The thing I've just found out now is that the car hire company have max'd out my credit card. I was not told in any way we were liable for the car should it be stolen. I even took out every single type of insurance they offered me so as far as I was concerned, I was completely covered.

The terms and conditions were written in Spanish tiny writing on the rear of an A4 sheet. Before signing, I actually asked the girl "what am I signing for?". She gave me a blank look and shrugged her shoulders. If I didn't sign, we weren't allowed to take the car basically.

Luckily, my mother has a great lawyer here in Spain but I'm just so worried right now as well as scared and truly angry about my belongings being stolen.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
That is aweful! I'm no lawyer but I hate to hear when stuff like this happens to good people. And to think they took your things right out from under your nose!! Nothing worse than a thief, it will come around full circle for him though, when you take, 10 times as much will eventually be taken from you, Just stay positive, I wish you the best and hopefully things will turn around for you, man that sucks!o|

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is aweful! I'm no lawyer but I hate to hear when stuff like this happens to good people. And to think they took your things right out from under your nose!! Nothing worse than a thief, it will come around full circle for him though, when you take, 10 times as much will eventually be taken from you, Just stay positive, I wish you the best and hopefully things will turn around for you, man that sucks!o|
Thanks for the kind words.

It's starting to all settle in right now after having to speak to my phone company, credit card company regarding the transactions from the car hire company, my travel insurance company... plus probably more companies tomorrow.

I'd best get some sleep. Hopefully tomorrow will bring better things!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
That really sucks man. :-(

I wish I had some really good advice to offer, but I'm not a lawyer and I've never had to deal with this before. :-s

Stay positive and stick to your guns. This sounds like a matter best handled by knowledgeable professionals. Hopefully, your credit card company will back you up, but if not a good lawyer would probably be helpful. Hang in there.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Hey buddy,

V Sorry for your bad news.

Laywer here.

Main thing - you have access to a good local lawyer - work hard with that person to sort this out - I honestly find it hard to believe that the retail/consumer user of a hire car could be financially liable for theft of the car, so I expect that you will recover this money (I presume you can't enter a dispute with the CC company to freeze this debit on your card - if you can then you should absolutely do this).

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
just wanted to wish you for the best and a speedy resolution wayne. good luck!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Good luck my friend. Cant trust anyone anywhere anymore. Hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Damn day....I really hope you be able to talk thru with the CC company to void the payment that IMO you are not liable for..You have made a police report and this report IMO will back you up,should you ever need to go back to meet the car hire side. If you go back the car company,go meet someone who can make decision but not just any employee..someone that can offer concrete solution..

I really hope the best for you and the matter to be solve without lossing much..

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
your iphone has a locate feature using your mobileme account. find them. make them pay.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
That's rough.

I'm always trying to imagine and plan out how I would manage my valuables (money, keys, phone) if I were to take a vacation. I just can't figure it out. It's almost maddening when I think about it too much. And it just adds stress to an even that's supposed to relieve stress.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies.

We've just woken up and still can't believe what's happened. It was such a nice, relaxing holiday up until yesterday lol.

After speaking to a few people who live here, their thoughts are basically that we aren't liable for the hire car but the hire car companies love scamming people here. They're likely to have insurance that will cover this but will try and get money out of ourselves as well as claim on their insurance. Sounds far-fetched but honestly, Spain has become so corrupt over the past few years that I wouldn't put it past them.

My mum has an account with the company and if it's not ourselves using them, it's other people we recommend to them. They get a lot of business from us and I can't believe how ill-treated we've been. I'll name and shame them at some point.

So, as well as the hire car, my belongings that have gone are...

- Apartment and obviously car keys
- iPhone 3Gs (my life in a phone lol) with my headphones
- Mobile iPhone charger
- Top of the range TomTom 940 Sat Nav
- My new puma trainers
- New Adidas top
- Girlfriend's cardigan
- The bag that they took was a really handy one

Even when I look at that list I think "ah well, they can all be replaced" but I guess that's not the point is it. Things would have been worse had they taken passports etc or G-d forbid, we had been mugged for the items, but right now that's no reconciliation (if that's the correct word).

MobileMe... unfortunately this won't work as I had my data plan turned off whilst roaming abroad :-( It costs a LOT of money if you use it and as we have Wi-Fi in the apartment, that's usually all we need. Good point though!

Credit Card dispute... spoke to them last night and they've put a stop on the card for now. Although saying that, as they've max'd it out, it can't be used anyway I guess lol. The disputed transactions department isn't open on a weekend but I will be ringing that number FIRST thing on Monday morning!

The car hire company appear to have only given us 3rd party insurance but haven't told us this. In fact, my mum has used them approx. 50 times over the past few years, as well as recommending them a LOT of times and not once have we or anyone else been told that the cover is only 3rd party.

We have a great lawyer here in Spain and we'll use him if we have to :-!

In the meantime, I'm just keeping positive that the lacklustre police will manage to find the car before we leave tomorrow evening. That would be a massive relief.

One last thing... another shocker was the police would only look into this once we'd been to sign a statement. They couldn't search for the car even though I'd give them the registration of it etc until we physically went to a police station in the next biggest town to sign! It was around 5 hours until we could get there so that definitely hasn't helped things.

·
Registered
37,150 Posts
****e mate! Sorry to hear what happened. That is a major bummer. I really hope everything gets sorted out in good time for you both. And I hope they catch the scumbags who did it real soon. Good luck, mate.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,590 Posts
Hi W44ne,

What a terrible news. It sounds like my worst nightmare. I've been informed about this type of criminal activity (pickpockets, bag robbers, etc) is pretty serious at the Spanish costa's.

The thing about the car sounds even worse. Max out your credit card, while you think the car was insured. o|

I hope things will work out well in the near future. Good thing you have a lawyer there.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
****e mate! Sorry to hear what happened. That is a major bummer. I really hope everything gets sorted out in good time for you both. And I hope they catch the scumbags who did it real soon. Good luck, mate.
Hi W44ne,

What a terrible news. It sounds like my worst nightmare. I've been informed about this type of criminal activity (pickpockets, bag robbers, etc) is pretty serious at the Spanish costa's.

The thing about the car sounds even worse. Max out your credit card, while you think the car was insured. o|

I hope things will work out well in the near future. Good thing you have a lawyer there.

Cheers,

Sjors
Thanks guys.

We're gonna take it easy today... do some clothes washing and get our bags packed ready to go back to England. Never wanted to get of lovely sunny weather and go back to miserable England so much before! lol.

As the saying goes... If you don't laugh, you cry :think::-!

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
In the end, it's all just stuff...

...nowhere near as important as your health and wellbeing and that of your family/friends. I think the best you can do is feel how pissed off and violated you are and be ok with it anyway.

p.s. at least they didn't get any of your G's. ;-)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't panic, I am sure everything is going to be alright!
In the past I have had a lot more problems than a stolen bag and car (bike accident, injured girlfriend, court case,…) but however all the trouble ends with a happy end :)

For your next holyday I would recommend you a Greek Island. Some small car rentals there are sometimes a little tricky too but no local will steal you anything!

·
Registered
Casio WVA-M630 Orient Commuter Orient Flight Vaer C5 Victorinox Field Force Wenger Field Watch
3,446 Posts
Wayne,

Sorry to read about your misfortune. From what I read your doing all the right things. Keeps us posted on how things turn out. After reading what happened to you and your girlfriend I cancelled my trip to Spain.:)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
That sucks big time :-( Did you have your mobile number blocked? (didn't read anything about that). Often criminals will use the mobile to make international calls.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
UPDATE

We've just found out that the car hire firm have actually tried to charge my mum's boyfriend's credit card that they have on file from past transactions!!! The car hire account is in my mum's name and therefore, theoretically nothing to do with her boyfriend. He has just paid for the car hire in the past instead of my mum doing so.

Luckily, Barclaycard declined all 3x transactions of £2700.00 + £2700.00 + £913.00!

Wayne,

Sorry to read about your misfortune. From what I read your doing all the right things. Keeps us posted on how things turn out. After reading what happened to you and your girlfriend I cancelled my trip to Spain.:)
Dan I'm so sorry to hear you've cancelled your holiday. In some ways I think you're right to do so as we know the area and its foibles so well; but in other ways I think have yourself a good time. We've been here many times before and have never had anything happen.

That said though, my mum has had her passport stolen 3 times here in the past! Not from stupidity, purely from how professional these crooks are!

One time, they went to a supermarket, did their shopping. Rested the shopping trolley up against their car. Turned their back to open to the boot so they could put their shopping bags in, turned back around and their bag with the passport was gone! That's how quick and sneaky these people are!

That sucks big time :-( Did you have your mobile number blocked? (didn't read anything about that). Often criminals will use the mobile to make international calls.
Yes, that was one of the first things I did. Luckily, no calls had been made and my phone was PIN protected.

I've changed my e-mail passwords. Everything I can think of. Nightmare o|

1 - 20 of 58 Posts