WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All I can say is wow. I saw this an year ago in a store but at the time dismissed it as a mere quartz watch.

Well anyway my gorgeous little son decided he wanted to play with the Tissot yesterday and dropped it on the floor! (heart in mouth moment) So it got me thinking...all this love for our mechanicals but a simple fall and its gone...well could be anyway (thankfully mine survived). Yes of course because it is a complex and delicately balanced piece of engineering...BUT...what do I do when I want to play cricket (baseball :p), or volleyball, or what if my son wants play catch with dads watch?

I started of this hobby in the HAQ (high accuracy forum) and since then I have always had some interest in quartz watches...not your average quartz mind you...just the interesting stuff...innovative, or cutting edge, quality thermo-compensated movements, solar/eco-drive/kinetic, different cut crystals etc etc...

So yesterday I think I decided I only wanted a mechanical for my dress watch which most probably wouldn't be put through the regular abuse I'm used to. No I'm not going to sell my Tissot...but I'm not buying another mechanical either...So on the look for quality, interesting, quartz movements I came across this beauty! Little did I know back when I saw it first that it too was no boring old quartz...This gorgeous number comes equipped with Seiko's own kinetic direct drive technology. For those interested you can do some research but for me this has quickly turned into my new grail! I've become an agnostic lol...or an "equal opportunity watch slut" as some would say (Robert) lol...and guess what!? I'm thrilled about it lol...And whilst I've always said that my tastes lean more towards the dressy I think I've become an agnostic in that respect as well lol...anyway I know its not everyone's cup of tea and that's fine. But it sure is mine so without further ado I present to you this gorgeous Seiko Velatura

4.jpg 1.jpg

5.JPG 3.jpg

Pictures stolen from somewhere...sorry for the various different image sizes...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Cool watch. :-!

I wonder, though...doesn't a kinetic quartz suffer from (almost) the same limitations as an automatic (obviously it would tend to be more accurate)? I mean, you have to charge it by wrist motion, much like an auto. I don't know about its reserve, but is it considered a "grab and go?"

Also, does the day sub-dial move "digitally," i.e., jump from one day to the next? 'Cause in your last pic, I can't really tell if it's indicating Thursday or Friday (and in the other pics, it doesn't really line up). :-s

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
All I can say is wow. I saw this an year ago in a store but at the time dismissed it as a mere quartz watch.

Well anyway my gorgeous little son decided he wanted to play with the Tissot yesterday and dropped it on the floor! (heart in mouth moment) So it got me thinking...all this love for our mechanicals but a simple fall and its gone...well could be anyway (thankfully mine survived). Yes of course because it is a complex and delicately balanced piece of engineering...BUT...what do I do when I want to play cricket (baseball :p), or volleyball, or what if my son wants play catch with dads watch?

I started of this hobby in the HAQ (high accuracy forum) and since then I have always had some interest in quartz watches...not your average quartz mind you...just the interesting stuff...innovative, or cutting edge, quality thermo-compensated movements, solar/eco-drive/kinetic, different cut crystals etc etc...

So yesterday I think I decided I only wanted a mechanical for my dress watch which most probably wouldn't be put through the regular abuse I'm used to. No I'm not going to sell my Tissot...but I'm not buying another mechanical either...So on the look for quality, interesting, quartz movements I came across this beauty! Little did I know back when I saw it first that it too was no boring old quartz...This gorgeous number comes equipped with Seiko's own kinetic direct drive technology. For those interested you can do some research but for me this has quickly turned into my new grail! I've become an agnostic lol...or an "equal opportunity watch slut" as some would say (Robert) lol...and guess what!? I'm thrilled about it lol...And whilst I've always said that my tastes lean more towards the dressy I think I've become an agnostic in that respect as well lol...anyway I know its not everyone's cup of tea and that's fine. But it sure is mine so without further ado I present to you this gorgeous Seiko Velatura

View attachment 1053088 View attachment 1053085

View attachment 1053089 View attachment 1053090

This has always been one of my favourite non-mechanicals. I don't own it, but understand why you would want to....

·
Registered
5,686 Posts

View attachment 1053088 View attachment 1053085

View attachment 1053089 View attachment 1053090

Not buying another mechanical???

Didn't you just get on the pre-order for that Stowa?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha yea cancelled that. Lovely watch but realised that the lug to lug was even bigger than my precisionist which was pretty much at my upper limit...

The Naf

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cool watch. :-!

I wonder, though...doesn't a kinetic quartz suffer from (almost) the same limitations as an automatic (obviously it would tend to be more accurate)? I mean, you have to charge it by wrist motion, much like an auto. I don't know about its reserve, but is it considered a "grab and go?"

Also, does the day sub-dial move "digitally," i.e., jump from one day to the next? 'Cause in your last pic, I can't really tell if it's indicating Thursday or Friday (and in the other pics, it doesn't really line up). :-s
As for the power reserve I'm not so sure but a couple of months from what I recall. In addition the kinetic direct drive technology allows charging the watch simply by winding the crown, much like an automatic with hand winding except the power reserve is obviously much much longer. In any case I never gave much importance to the grab and go nature of quartz...I do like interaction with my watch. What I don't so much like about automatics/mechanicals is that they are definitely much less robust than quartz. My kid used to throw my precisionist around and I felt more than comfortable letting him play with it...not so my tissot...

As for your second question...I"m not sure but my guess would be one of the three:

1. Welcome to the wonderful world of quartz lol...much like the second hand not striking the indices properly
2. In cross-over between one day and the next
3. Angle of photography (it looks better in the other pictures)

·
Registered
491 Posts
I would think a Kinetic with that many complications could still quite easily break from a fall. Not as easily as an auto, no, but it probably (complete and utter guess, with very little knowledge to back it up at all), has at least many of the same "breakable" parts. Not so much springs (but some, for power reserve, jump back on day, etc), pinions, shafts, rotor, all somewhat fragile compared to your say, GSHOCK.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would think a Kinetic with that many complications could still quite easily break from a fall. Not as easily as an auto, no, but it probably (complete and utter guess, with very little knowledge to back it up at all), has at least many of the same "breakable" parts. Not so much springs (but some, for power reserve, jump back on day, etc), pinions, shafts, rotor, all somewhat fragile compared to your say, GSHOCK.
Haha can't beat them G-shocks in that department that's for sure. And I do see your point..and to add to it a kinetic direct drive is a apparently a pain in the a-se to repair with limited parts availability and such...yet I do not think it would be anywhere near as fragile as a mechanical watch...

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Yet again, once you realize that you might be prone to the status of "Equal Opportunity Watch Slut" all the barriers fall down and you are lost in an infinitude of choices. This is a very difficult state to coexist with "One watch kind of guy" (which I notice you recently removed from your signature, bad sign!) Just a warning. Extreme pickiness is your only defense. :-d

Having said that, I am tempted by several of the Seiko Premier line, especially the moonphase SRX003p1, but I keep trying to set limits. When I like so many watches I quickly come to realize I can't own them all; so, vicarious pleasures and the occasional buy&flip, or the occasional buy&keep, otherwise I try to let those sexy beauties walk past the red carpet and wink at other guys.

Reactions: CCCP and The Naf

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha yea changing my signature was definitely a bad sign Lol...think I'll be checking into the clinic soon..."hi I'm the addict formally known as "one watch kinda guy" and I have a problem" :p

The Naf

Reactions: skywatch

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I've actually had my eye on a similar Velatura on the sales forum. I would have bought it if not for the size (curse my wrists) and the fact that I'm already over my collection limit (I think I'm at 7 when I should be at 5). :-(

As for the power reserve I'm not so sure but a couple of months from what I recall. In addition the kinetic direct drive technology allows charging the watch simply by winding the crown, much like an automatic with hand winding except the power reserve is obviously much much longer...
The direct drive kinetics actually only have a month power reserve (12=12 hours, D=day, W=week, M=month) while the regular kinetics have a 6 month power reserve. Still a lot of reserve either way.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi Naf,
Welcome to the sanity of quartz watches :) Funny story for you. I've been wearing my Tiger Shark for the past three days. Yesterday morning, I grabbed one of my quartz watches to wear while walking the dog and discovered the battery had died. I had a spare and changed it out within a few minutes and it's all set again. This evening, I retired the Tiger Shark and was about to switch to a different quartz watch and it, too, was dead. I put my automatic back on and proceeded to take the dog for his evening walk. I had to order a new battery for the dead one, and was able to get 20 (twenty) batteries for $1.69 with free shipping. That should keep me going for some time.
So while I'm with you on my preference for mechanical watches, I fully support your choice to discontinue purchasing a bunch of them. When I had my Sinn U1 serviced (and the end result was disappointing with a damaged dial and +17 seconds/day "adjusted" running rate upon return, I'm happy to have a few quartz watches that I can get running again myself within a few minutes at minimal cost. I'm thinking having spare batteries is a good idea to get your watch back up quickly. While I didn't need 20, even if they only last a few months each, I'm set for a while. I actually just ordered another quartz diver and didn't have the least bit of care that it was quartz and not mechanical. Good luck in your search or with your new Velatura should you get it.

Regards,

Jeff

Pics for fun: The Tiger Shark, the UX (traded my U1 for this one), and The PRS-18Q with 10 year battery....

Edit: neither the UX nor the Precista had battery issues. They just happen to be acouple if my favorite quartzes in case it sounded like both of these died with 24 hours of each other.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I've owned a Velatura for a long time on this forum Naf!! Stunning watches, but most on here would probably claim that they are too big. Hands are killer. I opted for the chronograph (which is a very impressive movement in itself, the yachting timers are really cool too) instead of the kinetic, the power reserve is quite fun to play with on the Kinetic watches. And yes, the power reserve is a month or so long. By the way, the Velatura also comes in an automatic version, but it's pushing $3,000 (automatic chronograph).

casual2.jpg

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mods can we please close this thread!? I dunno what I was thinking...of course I'll be getting another mechanical lol...it'll be my last for a long long time and I'll be damned if I'm not getting a Stowa Flieger of the handwinding variety :-D

·
Banned
4,059 Posts
Mods can we please close this thread!? I dunno what I was thinking...of course I'll be getting another mechanical lol...it'll be my last for a long long time and I'll be damned if I'm not getting a Stowa Flieger of the handwinding variety :-D
OH MY LORD! MAKE UP YOUR MIND

·
Registered
988 Posts
Didn't you just get on the pre-order for that Stowa?
Hahaha, is this in the Stages of WIS Addiction? "You don't just know which watches other forum members own, you know the ones they have on pre-order". :-d

Reactions: The Naf

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OH MY LORD! MAKE UP YOUR MIND
I made up my mind a long time ago...and my final decision was that from here on end there would be no more firm and decisive action...I'll just sway to the tune of the WIS winds...:p

Reactions: H3RRINGTON

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like the Seiko dial.

Reminds me of something...

View attachment 1056648
aaah drew...if only you had the 42mm version and I had the money...right now I'm probably gonna be taking some out of the savings piggy bank for a Stowa (around September) and will probably be calling it a day...not a smart idea spending piggy bank money on watches but I'm sure glad the Mrs agreed to it just this once lol...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts