WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little bored tonight so I took some quick cellphone photos of the size differences between dive watches on my 7 1/8 in. wrist.

Deep Blue Recon 45mm:

Oris TT1 44mm:

Doxa 1200T 42mm:

·
Banned
100 Posts
Strange. The second one definitely looks the best on your wrist. Though the first looks substantially larger than the second (not just 1mm larger.) The first is bordering on too large, and you're not a small guy. I am a small guy and any of those would make me look like a toddler.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Strange. The second one definitely looks the best on your wrist. Though the first looks substantially larger than the second (not just 1mm larger.) The first is bordering on too large, and you're not a small guy. I am a small guy and any of those would make me look like a toddler.
I tend to wear bigger gshocks so I'm used to the larger watch but that 44mm Oris does sit just right on my wrist :)

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Hmmm. I have a 7 1/4 inch wrist but somehow I still get the feeling all those watches would look BIG on it... Must be the shape.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm. I have a 7 1/4 inch wrist but somehow I still get the feeling all those watches would look BIG on it... Must be the shape.

If you're comfortable wearing your Gs then I'm betting you'd feel comfortable wearing various large divers.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts

Whenever I go to my local watchmaker/AD to try on watches to get a feel for different sizes, he always stops me from looking down on my wrist and puts me in front of a full length mirror. I think body size is a much bigger indicator than wrist size...assuming the watch isn't so long lug to lug, that it overhangs the wrist.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I think it's also because your wrist is turned in that position. Err, hard to explain but when you turn it like that you also see the part of the bottom side of your wrist so your wrist and forearm are wider. edit: I measured my wrist just now: it's normally about 55mm in diameter, but when turned like that it's almost 64mm.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Here are a couple of shots of me in front of a mirror. The watch is a 47mm M-Force diver by Orient. Not sure of the lug to lug measurement (the watch's "length", if you will), probably 52mm.

Outer angle shot:
uploadfromtaptalk1355029382938.jpg

The same watch from an inner angle (the way I see my own forearm):
uploadfromtaptalk1355029447064.jpg

I'm nowhere as big as OP is but I'm 6'. Body size does play a role in determining whether a big watch looks good on average or even small wrists. My wrist sure looks thinner than OP's though :D

The problem with G-Shocks is they tend to have large overhangs between case and wrist due to the way their straps are attached to the case, making them appear more humongous than their sizes suggest. And they are also very light compared to steel divers, which means when they are worn too loose, they will move around too much on the wrist.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Great thread. I'm currently trying to decide between a 44 or 47mm Oris small seconds on my 7 1/4 " wrist. I find it hard to look at yourself in the mirror to judge the look

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are a couple of shots of me in front of a mirror. The watch is a 47mm M-Force diver by Orient. Not sure of the lug to lug measurement (the watch's "length", if you will), probably 52mm.

Outer angle shot:
View attachment 899589

The same watch from an inner angle (the way I see my own forearm):
View attachment 899590

I'm nowhere as big as OP is but I'm 6'. Body size does play a role in determining whether a big watch looks good on average or even small wrists. My wrist sure looks thinner than OP's though :D

The problem with G-Shocks is they tend to have large overhangs between case and wrist due to the way their straps are attached to the case, making them appear more humongous than their sizes suggest. And they are also very light compared to steel divers, which means when they are worn too loose, they will move around too much on the wrist.

That large orient looks good on you because of your relative size. I'm a little thicker but I'm only 5'8" and anything above 45mm just doesn't look right on me.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great thread. I'm currently trying to decide between a 44 or 47mm Oris small seconds on my 7 1/4 " wrist. I find it hard to look at yourself in the mirror to judge the look
I was also in the market for a 47mm Oris and luckily I was able to try one before purchasing. Being only 5'8" the watch looked very unproportional and just too big on me but you might be a larger person or just like the larger look better than I do. Good luck with your decision :)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
The deep Blue and the Oris both look quite good. The Doxa's relatively short lug to lug length just makes it look a tad too small. 44-45mm is my sweet spot, with the exception of my puck. But since it has a lugless design it fits just perfectly.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Keep in mind too that if you're looking for a watch to wear 10 years from now, you will want to stay away from huge watches. The trend will inevitably go back to smaller watches.

These guys thought they looked good too....

bell-bottoms.jpg

The funny thing about trends is that the vast majority of people don't realize they will end, and even reverse, at some point. I bet those guys never thought their look would be a laughing-stock today.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts