WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7.5 inch wrist. I measured without wrapping the tape tightly around the wrist (is this correct?). I like the watch to slide a bit around and up/down the wrist.

Question: 42mm or 40mm?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I have a 7.5 inch wrist. I measured without wrapping the tape tightly around the wrist (is this correct?). I like the watch to slide a bit around and up/down the wrist.

Question: 42mm or 40mm?
It depends on the model of watch. I have an 8" wrist and favor 40mm dress watches and 42-44mm casual/diver/tool watches. My general rule of thumb is that if the watch is spending its time under shirt cuffs, it needs to be 40mm or smaller. If I'm wearing short sleeves, I favor 42mm and larger.

Examples of models and sizes I wear, depending on occasion:
1) Black dress: 40mm Ball Engineer Master II Classic
2) White dress: 39.2 mm Grand Seiko SBGR029
3) Black casual: 43mm Ball Night Train (black dial)
4) White casual: 43 Ball Night Train (white dial)
5) Black diver: 45.5mm Omega PO (in process of trading for 42mm PO)
6) White diver: 43mm Ball Alligator

Rob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It depends on the model of watch. I have an 8" wrist and favor 40mm dress watches and 42-44mm casual/diver/tool watches. My general rule of thumb is that if the watch is spending its time under shirt cuffs, it needs to be 40mm or smaller. If I'm wearing short sleeves, I favor 42mm and larger.

Examples of models and sizes I wear, depending on occasion:
1) Black dress: 40mm Ball Engineer Master II Classic
2) White dress: 39.2 mm Grand Seiko SBGR029
3) Black casual: 43mm Ball Night Train (black dial)
4) White casual: 43 Ball Night Train (white dial)
5) Black diver: 45.5mm Omega PO (in process of trading for 42mm PO)
6) White diver: 43mm Ball Alligator

Rob
Ball Fireman. I would like to wear most of the time, casual and/or with dress shirt sleeves.

I'm thinking 40mm.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
40mm probably is the better choice, unless you favor large watches.

I probably should add this caveat that I switched from the 41mm Trainmaster L&I to the 43mm white Night Train today, even though I'm wearing a suit and tie. The Night Train is larger than I usually wear under cuffs, but not bad at all!

Rob

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Rob
Hi 86hawkeye,

Rob makes excellent points, here. I'd also like to add that the thickness of the watch makes a difference, too, especially if you're planning on wearing it with long sleeve dress shirts(with cuffs).

I have a 7.125" wrist(up to 7.25" on warmer days), and have a 40mm EMII Classic(like Rob). It's a dressier piece, and imho the size looks great on my wrist. I also owned a Fireman Night Train, which is 43mm, and now have an Engineer Hydrocarbon Titanium "Mad Cow", which is 42mm...and they both look(ed) great on. My take on this is that, for me, 40mm-43mm works just fine. I also have a 44mm Panerai homage, and it looks fine on, too. b-)

Now, the Fireman isn't terribly thick, as contemporary watches go. With a thickness of 11.1mm, it shouldn't be an issue with long sleeves. With your 7.5" wrist, a 40mm Fireman would work and look just fine...but I think the 43mm would, too! If you can, you should definitely try them on and see.

;-)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I've tried on the 43mm fireman and it is bigger than what I'm used to, but I believe I could get used to it.

At any rate, does the Fireman white dial 40mm come in stainless steel clasp or only with a leather band?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts