WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Is the bigger watch size a trend or here to stay?

When I say bigger I guess that would be 42mm+ in width. I have a 7" flat top wrist, and anything 42+ especially with a bigger height just looks gaudy and poser (imho). I see people with bigger and smaller wrist with monstrous quartz and autos, and while they are totally entitled to love and wear what they want, I just can't think but 'Why?'. Is it the industry or the people driving the trend? What sizes do you wear/like and why?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Hi,

PLENTY of threads that discuss this, at least one every couple of weeks.

My opinion is larger sizes are going to be around for quite a while, take a look at the centuries old brands that are just beginning to release larger sizes. Patek is one of them, although not an "olde" brand Rolex is awfully conservative and they are building larger watches as well.

As for sizes people wear there are a lot of threads on that as well, also several polls. For me I range from 39mm to 47mm, the latter is an outlier since the rest of my watches are 44mm or less.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a 6.75" wrist and I find anything bigger than 50mm lug-lug(vertically) doesn't work for me. 40-42mm without crown is generally feels right for me but I had a 42mm that had long lugs that did not feel right at all and I ended up sending it back.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PLENTY of threads that discuss this, at least one every couple of weeks.
I know. Just started one of my own.

Thx for the input, I agree about established brands like Patek and Rolex finally breaking tradition albeit ever so slightly.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatapatapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi,

When I say bigger I guess that would be 42mm+ in width. I have a 7" flat top wrist, and anything 42+ especially with a bigger height just looks gaudy and poser (imho). I see people with bigger and smaller wrist with monstrous quartz and autos, and while they are totally entitled to love and wear what they want, I just can't think but 'Why?'. Is it the industry or the people driving the trend? What sizes do you wear/like and why?

Cheers

The rule of thumb is that the lugs should not extend wider than you wrist.

Wide ties vs. thin ties..... NBA shorts are below the knees compared to 30 years ago. Trends come and go. Oversized watches look gaudy to me. Many people are OK with really small vintage watches on a big wrist but I think that it looks kinda funny. Your size wrist would look good with 42" - 45" dia watches IMHO.

I also prefer lower profile cases.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Horses for courses!
Yeah, bigger watches are here to stay - but then so are smaller watches. Seriously in the (non WIS) real world most people choose a watch they like the look of. They don't over analyze size, or in house movement or any of the multitudinous things that we agonize over.
Some people (me) think a small watch looks better; some people think a bigger watch looks better. Both are valuable markets, so both sizes will continue to sell.

Andy H

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
They are here to stay and it's not a bad thing. I prefer 36-40mm and with this trend I get to pick >40mm watches for a song .

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The rule of thumb is that the lugs should not extend wider than you wrist.
Personally, I think that to look proportional to your wrist the lug to lug should always be at least 5mm less than the width of your wrist. Bracelets and straps that hang down at 90 degress from the watch just don't look right. Bracelets in particular are part of the design of a watch and should flow out from the lugs and wrap around the wrist.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
7.15 inch wrist here or thereabout.

I find watches 37-39mm suit me best. Of course it depends on case shape as well , my Orient wz0201el for example wears more like a 39-40mm due to shape/very short . on the other hand , I had a Hamilton Khaki Auto 42mm that was wearing very big and the crown digging my wrist so I got rid of it very fast.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Quoted from a previous thread I responded to on the same subject.
We live in a supersize era where often bigger and more is perceived as better. Average age expectancy is on the up and up; and obesity has almost become the norm. As a result wrists have gotten fatter resulting in higher demand for larger watches. The industry only adapts to demand. Customers drive the trend. Unless global famine strikes leading to starvation on an epic level in developed countries, the large sizes are here to stay. I have a 6.7 inches flat wrist. My comfort limit is 44mm.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I with the small watch camp but I do have a 42mm Speedy that I wear often and a Navitimer World 46mm that was given to me. I would not choose anything bigger than 42mm and love wearing my vintage watches that are as small as 35mm.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Like the OP, I have a flatter wrist, but measures 7.75". I have watches that range from 37mm to 46mm, and they all look fine on my wrist.

I agree that the length of lug to lug should not go past wrist.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I with the small watch camp but I do have a 42mm Speedy that I wear often and a Navitimer World 46mm that was given to me. I would not choose anything bigger than 42mm and love wearing my vintage watches that are as small as 35mm.

this is the 46mm? Imo this looks a little big on you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
this is the 46mm? Imo this looks a little big on you.
Yes, it's 46mm and I only have it because my father couldn't read the time on it anymore and gave it to me. I only wear it when I see him. I can't trade it since he gave it to me but it wouldn't buy that model.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
There will always be folks that want to be part of a trend ..... up to 42mm is about it for me but I think lug to lug distance is more critical than the case diameter .....

Although some major brands like Rolex increased some case diameters they still do make 34 and 36mm watches because there are many folks that appreciate them .....

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Looks like a weapons platform. Perhaps with a push of a button a couple laser-guided missiles will pop out. Just be careful of the blast burns on your wrist.
All I hear is the beeping of the forklift being used to get it on and off your wrist....lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatapatapatalk

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
7 inch wrist here. 38-40 is my sweet spot. 36mm is the smallest I have. 36mm works best for dress and 42mm is my max, mostly for summer wear.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts