WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
It's Not a G-Shock, Casio, or even a digital....

It's not Friday yet. But I am very excited. I was able to get my Dad's Longines running. And running accurately so far.

I was debating on buying a hand wind watch when I remembered my late Dad's watch he wore while serving in the Air Force in the mid 1950's. He flew nukes in a B-47. Baddest Jet Bomber ever. But I'm biased.

I decided to take his Longines, from 1954 (12L movement) out of the drawer and see if, by Higher Powers, I could get it running again. My best guess is that it has not ran in over 40 years. A year or so ago I had communication with Longines and they confirmed the movement, and the date of the sale. I really wanted this watch working. It is important to me. I've worked on this watch in the past to no avail to get it running. Tonight I took it apart, "messed" with it, and lo and behold it starts running. So I wound it up and it been running now for over two hours and keeping spot on time with my Seiko SNE-107. I am shocked. I took out the Poly Watch, gave the crystal as good a polish as I dare. Then I put it on the only strap I had that would fit it, a 18mm Blue Nato but I don't care. It's on the wrist for tonight and then Friday. The movement looks clean inside. No water intrusion, no rust, no dust, no sludge, nothing. The hands are shot, rusted I guess. But they all move in unison as they should. The second hand has a nice, tick, tick, tick, tick, sound per second. The minute hand moves nicely. And believe it or not, even that ratty hour hand, that is rusted away, is moving nicely. The hands appear to have been blue at one time. The dial is shot and the crystal falls out if not in the case a certain way.

But I don't care. Its running and that makes me happy. I'm testing to see how long the watch will run on a full hand wind. (fingers crossed)
BTW, as I have no calipers for measuring the case. The ole' tape measure gives a reading at around 1 1/4 inches, or just under 32mm. Another measurement reference, the whole watch case fits within the size of the SNE-107's crystal.

Everyone have a good day and hopefully find something that makes you smile like I did tonight.

P1210003.JPG P1210012.JPG P1210013.JPG P1210022.JPG

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Gonna post earlier after a tough Thursday; Have a happy Froggy Friday everyone!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 44 Posts