WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The traditional German way with new potatoes, sauce Hollandaise (self-made) and dry-cured ham. Very nice.
And my favourite recipe for green asparagus these days is just to let them simmer in a self-made Teriyaki sauce till soft.

Quite a fitness regime Dan. I think I will give it a try again on Wednesday. But we have been going for long walks and be cycling, leisurely. Weather still fantastic here.

Rene, I think I read somewhere else that you really like that white OP. Maybe the way to go. Would complement your collection very well.
I agree John. If I was to buy something today on impulse and emotion alone, the OP would be the one. Thanks for weighing in.

Rene

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Rene sometimes an impulse and emotion buy is the best thing to do...
Haha...you're absolutely right, John. If I had the cash in hand I'd be making an appointment to see my guy at the AD and picking up that OP. It's just so gorgeous. Unfortunately I still have a couple years of saving to do.

The only ROLEX I've really been interested in picking up is the Explorer. It's not that I don't like or appreciate other models. I do. Especially the Sub. However, where I live they are just so common. Also, I think the Explorer fits the bill of exactly the kind of watch I like...time only, three hander, black dial, classic design, easy to read, symmetrical...well, you get the picture. The only thing that gives me pause about the OP is the white dial. I'm not usually a white dial guy, but I think this OP just might change my whole world (a little exaggeration).

Cheers!

Rene

Reactions: solesman

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Yes Rene, there is something about the Explorer. Not the 39mm for me with its now rather chunky case but I have tried on the 36mm a few times and really like the look. And yes, the white dial may look nice but is probably not for everyone. (I would pass although I also like it on pics). But as you won‘t be buying immediately you have plenty of time to consider.

·
Registered
11,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Hi Rene,

apologies for the late reply. I've been away from the MacBook all weekend. It was fabulous weather here so it was spent outdoors, cycling, running, BBQ etc.

So I have been reading your post.

TUDOR Submariner ref. 79090 (preowned)

Seems like you have quite the thing for the Tudor Sub. Exceptional watch! Rob aka Buchmann69 has a stunning example of a blue one. Maybe drop him a DM and see what he has to say. I agree that it's better to spend a bit more to get the very best example of a watch that you can. Saving those few hundred bucks will be quickly forgotten if the watch condition and or movement aren't up to scratch. It won't be easy but the hunt is a huge part of being a watch geek :) It took me a good few months to find the right Sub for me. I spent lots of time reading everything I could and watching YouTube reviews and talks from sellers etc. I passed on several watches that were in fact good enough, but I wanted to test my metal and not go for second best. When I met up with the seller (bought on Chrono24) in the pub, he was a watch geek too. We spent an hour having a beer and talking watches. When he took the Sub out and I aw the condition I was blown away. Don't discount the Tudor :)

OMEGA Seamaster Professional Diver 300 black dial ref. 210.30.42.20.01.001 (new)

A nice solid dependable choice.It'll fit you well at 42mm, not too thick, not a fan of scalloped bezels to use, but I hardly turn the bezel on any dive watch that I've owned :-d bracelet is a little dated but it looks amazing on the OEM strap. Too shiny?

OMEGA Seamaster Planet Ocean 2500 ref. 2201.50.00 (used)

Classic PO. Matte dial, vintage touches with a contemporary design language. It was good enough for Bond twice.

OMEGA Seamaster Aqua Terra Skyfall ref. 231.10.39.21.03.001 (preowned)

Well I'm on my second one so that tells you something. It's a beautiful watch. One of the nicest dial designs and blue like no other. I should wear it more in all honesty. Only downside is its a little thick for its diameter. Not a dealbreaker but it is noticeable when wearing.

ROLEX Explorer ref. 214270 (new)

Classic again. Recurring theme here :) Not a fan of the 3-6-9 layout. Reminds me of the Spectre 300 LE lacking the 12 numeral. Highly legible and the oyster bracelet is on the money. Despite being 39mm it does wear quite large due to the large dial and lack of bezel.

ROLEX Oyster Perpetual 39mm white dial ref. 114300 (new)

Beautiful beautiful watch. Different bezel style makes it wear smaller, but the white dial make it wear bigger than the black OP. No date is a winner, the colour of the white is quite flat and one dimensional. Doesn't change in different lights much. Could get bored of it?

ROLEX Submariner ref. 14060m two line (preowned)

YES YES YES! Find the year that you like the most then find one in the best condition possible thats had as little or no polishing as possible. Be prepared to not wear anything else though. The 5 digit Submariner wears so well.

TUDOR Black Bay 58 (new)

Love the proportions. Literally the perfect dimensioned diver, but the design leaves me cold.

I look forward to seeing how the develops. I'll say one lat thing. You have great taste in watches Rene :-!

Hi Dan,

I've got quite a few that I really like. Right now I'm just trying to narrow the choice to about 3 and then really delve deep into the history; tech; size and proportions; other pros and cons; and of course, the most important one (for me), the emotional appeal. There are many more, but too many to list here. I've never been keen on selling watches, even though I have sold a few in the past. I like to fall in love with a watch visually, find out all I can about it, and then use all that information gathered to try and talk myself out of getting it. Sometimes I find out that I'm not as in love as I thought I was, and sometimes I just figure out that it's not a smart decision. For example, I was thinking about a TUDOR Sub (ref. 79090), but decided against it because I'm very weary of buying preowned...it's a minefield out there these days. I've bought all my watches either directly from a small independent, or from an AD.

Sometimes watches that I've talked myself out of acquiring keep creeping back onto the list. When this happens I start taking them even more seriously. Like the example mentioned above. The TUDOR 79090. It's a beautiful, classic, robust watch that is fairly easy to service and find parts for (movement), and that I won't be afraid to wear. So, that means I'll have to take a harder look at buying preowned. Maybe the solution is to pay a bit more for a good example from a preowned dealer in order to have that peace of mind and a bit of a warranty. All things to think about.

As you know, I just picked up my 60th Anniversary Railmaster in January of this year. Once I'd finally brought it home I immediately started thinking about my next watch. This might sound crazy, but I find this works well for me. For one, I really enjoy looking at watches and learning about them. For me the hobby is mostly about learning about the watches. Making a purchase might be the most exciting part, but it's definitely secondary to the research and ogling. Secondly, I'm not independently wealthy, and because I don't sell many watches (I won't be selling ANY in the future) it takes me quite awhile to save up the money for my next purchase. This also helps curb any impulse buying.

Now, to answer your question, here are some of the watches that I'm considering (in no particular order):

OMEGA Seamaster Professional Diver 300 black dial ref. 210.30.42.20.01.001 (new)
TUDOR Black Bay 58 (new)

From my current collection you can tell that I prefer dark grey/black dialed time only, 3 hand watches. There are many reasons for this which I won't address here, but we'll see if this changes after this round of research.

Thanks for your offer of help; it's much appreciated. Please feel free to pass on ANY thoughts that you might have. Don't worry about thoughts that might be unpopular...I want to hear it ALL. The same goes for anyone else who might want to chime in. I'm open to all thoughts and suggestions.

All the best,

Rene

·
Registered
11,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
God that sounds really good John! I may have to make that this week. I got some nice new spuds today funnily enough.

Can you let me know the Teriyaki recipe please?

The traditional German way with new potatoes, sauce Hollandaise (self-made) and dry-cured ham. Very nice.
And my favourite recipe for green asparagus these days is just to let them simmer in a self-made Teriyaki sauce till soft.

Quite a fitness regime Dan. I think I will give it a try again on Wednesday. But we have been going for long walks and been cycling, leisurely. Weather still fantastic here.

Rene, I think I read somewhere else that you really like that white OP. Maybe the way to go. Would complement your collection very well.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Hi Rene,

apologies for the late reply. I've been away from the MacBook all weekend. It was fabulous weather here so it was spent outdoors, cycling, running, BBQ etc.

So I have been reading your post.

Seems like you have quite the thing for the Tudor Sub. Exceptional watch! Rob aka Buchmann69 has a stunning example of a blue one. Maybe drop him a DM and see what he has to say. I agree that it's better to spend a bit more to get the very best example of a watch that you can. Saving those few hundred bucks will be quickly forgotten if the watch condition and or movement aren't up to scratch. It won't be easy but the hunt is a huge part of being a watch geek :) It took me a good few months to find the right Sub for me. I spent lots of time reading everything I could and watching YouTube reviews and talks from sellers etc. I passed on several watches that were in fact good enough, but I wanted to test my metal and not go for second best. When I met up with the seller (bought on Chrono24) in the pub, he was a watch geek too. We spent an hour having a beer and talking watches. When he took the Sub out and I aw the condition I was blown away. Don't discount the Tudor :)

A nice solid dependable choice.It'll fit you well at 42mm, not too thick, not a fan of scalloped bezels to use, but I hardly turn the bezel on any dive watch that I've owned :-d bracelet is a little dated but it looks amazing on the OEM strap. Too shiny?

Classic PO. Matte dial, vintage touches with a contemporary design language. It was good enough for Bond twice.

Well I'm on my second one so that tells you something. It's a beautiful watch. One of the nicest dial designs and blue like no other. I should wear it more in all honesty. Only downside is its a little thick for its diameter. Not a dealbreaker but it is noticeable when wearing.

Classic again. Recurring theme here :) Not a fan of the 3-6-9 layout. Reminds me of the Spectre 300 LE lacking the 12 numeral. Highly legible and the oyster bracelet is on the money. Despite being 39mm it does wear quite large due to the large dial and lack of bezel.

Beautiful beautiful watch. Different bezel style makes it wear smaller, but the white dial make it wear bigger than the black OP. No date is a winner, the colour of the white is quite flat and one dimensional. Doesn't change in different lights much. Could get bored of it?

YES YES YES! Find the year that you like the most then find one in the best condition possible thats had as little or no polishing as possible. Be prepared to not wear anything else though. The 5 digit Submariner wears so well.

TUDOR Black Bay 58 (new)

Love the proportions. Literally the perfect dimensioned diver, but the design leaves me cold.

I look forward to seeing how the develops. I'll say one lat thing. You have great taste in watches Rene :-!
Hi Dan,

No need to apologize. I appreciate you taking the time to give me such a detailed insight into your thoughts. You've pretty much nailed it on all of my choices.

The shininess of the SM Pro 300M was a bit of a concern for me (it being a tool watch and all), but not enough to deter me from the topnotch movement. I can't believe how accurate these Master Chronometer movements are. At present my Railmaster is performing at 0 to +1 spd depending on position. On the wrist everyday it does a consistent +1 spd. I tried on the SMP 300M at my AD and it actually fit my 6.5" wrist quite well. I'd ruled it out for a long time, concerned that it might wear too big. And the shiny factor didn't bother me either. I actually quite like the bracelet, and I think they've done a nice job updating it without completely changing the styling of the original. For me, the Seamaster Pro bracelet (and the He valve) is part of what makes the Seamaster the Seamaster. I think my whole list will be in great jeopardy if OMEGA releases a stainless steel iteration with no date. That would be a dream come true.

The OP. Yes, it is a beautiful watch. I'm infatuated at the moment. I just wish ROLEX had made the 36mm with the same dial as the 39mm (minus the double sticks indices at 3-6-9) as I believe that is the perfect size for me in an OP. I think 34mm would wear small, even on my wrist. I think we have a similar wrist size; have you tried on a 39mm OP or DJ? I'll have a real dilemma on my hands if, before I'm ready to buy, ROLEX releases a 36mm white dial OP with the same style dial as the 39mm and OMEGA releases a no date, stainless steel SMP 300M. Then I'd seriously consider what I'm sure would be the advice I'd get, which would be to get both.

Then of course there's the Sub. Because my tendency was always to buy new from an AD, I ruled out the Sub because of the new case design. Also because they are just so popular and I see them everywhere. Now, considering a pre-owned pieces, has brought the 5-digit models onto the list. However, I'm extremely paranoid about wading into these waters. Or maybe I'm making too big a deal of it.

Thanks, btw, for the nice comment about my taste in watches. You and carlhaluss can both take a lot of the credit for that. I've been admiring both of your evolving collections since I started in this hobby and, looking at my current I think that's quite evident. So thank you for the inspiration over the years and all the advice.

Thanks again for taking the time to put that post together...very kind of you.

Rene

Edit--I just had an epiphany: A 36mm, blue dial, ROLEX OP, with arabics at 3-6-9, and a Glidelock on the Oyster bracelet would cover a lot of my bases.

·
Registered
11,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
God that sounds really good John! I may have to make that this week. I got some nice new spuds today funnily enough.

Can you let me know the Teriyaki recipe please?
Not sure if new spuds go well with the green asparagus in Teriyaki. We make them mainly as a sidedish for Tandoori chicken or BBQ. But here you go: 50ml soy sauce, 2 tablespoons each sesame oil and mirin, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 thinly chopped clove of garlic and small piece of ginger each. Little bit of honey. Mix, bring to boil briefly to dissolve the sugar, then let the asparagus simmer in it for 10-15 mins. I also use this sauce (which is from a Japanese blog) for Teriyaki noodles with veggies and chicken or salmon.

Just returned from my first run in 12 days, leg fine again.

Are you now interested in a 36mm DJ, Dan 😉

·
Registered
11,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Noooooo! :-d I meant I might do your ham and Hollandaise recipe this week, but as a side note could I have the Teriyaki sauce recipe :) Thanks for that fella.Glad to hear that your leg was fine running. Did you go any distance or just a try out? Pissing down with rain here. I headed out for a 10k and binned it after 5k.

A 36mm DJ? Hmmmm..... ;-)

Not sure if new spuds go well with the green asparagus in Teriyaki. We make them mainly as a sidedish for Tandoori chicken or BBQ. But here you go: 50ml soy sauce, 2 tablespoons each sesame oil and mirin, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 thinly chopped clove of garlic and small piece of ginger each. Little bit of honey. Mix, bring to boil briefly to dissolve the sugar, then let the asparagus simmer in it for 10-15 mins. I also use this sauce (which is from a Japanese blog) for Teriyaki noodles with veggies and chicken or salmon.

Just returned from my first run in 12 days, leg fine again.

Are you now interested in a 36mm DJ, Dan ��

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Whimp. :-d I did a 30k in February in gale force 8 and horizontal sleet! b-)

Just my regular 10k at a leisurely pace for the restart. And I went today because it is supposed to rain here tomorrow, really no fun in the rain, and I don‘t blame you for cutting it short.

Rumour has it that 36mm DJs are thinner than certain other watches....................
(I always loved Rob‘s OP mod into a blue EX, was very surprised to see that he flipped it)

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Hey René, you should cut and paste your original question and Dan's reply (and any others from the Friday WRUW thread) into a new thread so that it will be easier to find as time goes by. If you don't do it, I will!
I'm still thinking about my responses. So much to consider. And I'm in a similar (sort of) position at the moment, but COVID-19 has put a slight pause on it.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Hey René, you should cut and paste your original question and Dan's reply (and any others from the Friday WRUW thread) into a new thread so that it will be easier to find as time goes by. If you don't do it, I will!
I'm still thinking about my responses. So much to consider. And I'm in a similar (sort of) position at the moment, but COVID-19 has put a slight pause on it.
Hi Tino,

That's a great idea. One never thinks about these things until looking back and trying to find a certain post. I will move all the relevant posts into a separate thread tonight when I have more time. Good suggestion.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on my selections. I know you've been in the business a long time and you always have sensible recommendations and good information. No hurry, but I can't wait to hear what you think.

I know you were waiting on a BB58...did anything happened with that before the ADs shut down?

René

·
Registered
11,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hopefully the thread will be up later today :)

Hi Tino,

That's a great idea. One never thinks about these things until looking back and trying to find a certain post. I will move all the relevant posts into a separate thread tonight when I have more time. Good suggestion.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on my selections. I know you've been in the business a long time and you always have sensible recommendations and good information. No hurry, but I can't wait to hear what you think.

I know you were waiting on a BB58...did anything happened with that before the ADs shut down?

René

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Is there a way to move each relevant post to the new thread, or does each post need to be copied and then pasted into the new thread?

Sorry!! I've never done this before.

René

Reactions: fskywalker

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Is there a way to move each relevant post to the new thread, or does each post need to be copied and then pasted into the new thread?

Sorry!! I've never done this before.

René
Me neither! So, if I was going to do this, I would open up WUSOF on two separate tabs in my browser and one would be the Friday WRUW thread and the other would be the new post. Then I would just copy and paste from WRUW to the new thread.

All this digital tech. Yes, yes, it can be handy, yes, it’s brought us all together here over the years, but this whole internet thang came along for me when I was already in my 30s.
So, the old saying about old dogs and new tricks tends to apply, in my case.

Good luck, René. There may be an easier way to do it, but I’m the wrong man to ask.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts