Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,119 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Any suggestions on a strap? I am thinking of doing some strap shopping later today or tomorrow.

How about a nice thin alligator skin embossed brown leather with gold buckle strap?

Or the same in black and silver?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Brought in the New Year with the sterile dial Corgeut BP FF homage. Went for a little hike with it this afternoon before the next storm blew in.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
The WUS Sea-Gull ST5 Chinese forum watch #049/225.
Thank you, watchcrank (Stephen) for this wonderful gift. I love it!
I am not "wearing it" but want to show it off. Any suggestions on a strap? I am thinking of doing some strap shopping later today or tomorrow.
You're most welcome. I'm happy you have it. b-)

I generally wear the blue and black dial versions on tan or brown leather straps on the thick and sporty side, but the silver always looked better to me on a thin strap, black or dark brown.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I've worn my silver WUS ST5 on a nato strap and loved it. Now, it will probably live with an Erika's grey with white stripe and a Canadian flag strap.
You're most welcome. I'm happy you have it. b-)

I generally wear the blue and black dial versions on tan or brown leather straps on the thick and sporty side, but the silver always looked better to me on a thin strap, black or dark brown.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
After some careful thought, I have decided to go with a custom strap made by one of our f72 members who is also in Shanghai and has made two custom straps for my 1963 Omega Constellation.
This watch deserves a special strap.
He is an artist by trade, so I might let him do what he feels is appropriate for the watch.

·
Registered
876 Posts
All the straps that fit this piece (imo)
Black/Dark B 2-piece Perlon
Black/Dark B Rayskin
A two-piece Vintage Silver Mesh Strap

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Found a place in NYC that sells VCMs, my friend got a Seagull ST5 to match mine! I bought a WuYi watch with a stainless steel case and a fabric strap with Shanghai in Chinese written on the buckle.
Fun watches.
Just understand that those aren't original VCMs watches; they are frankenwatches/parts watches.

Here is the ST5 dial for sale on Taobao for 20rmb:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...ZGyYn7&id=603236196344&ns=1&abbucket=5#detail

Here is your 51 dial for sale on Taobao for 25rmb:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...zcNHki&id=610963295792&ns=1&abbucket=5#detail

I am not trying to rain on your parade, but people need to understand the difference between real VCMs and the frankens/"reissues" that pop-up on Ebay, et al.
Actually, I have had to walk away from many "VCMs" here in China because my gut told me they weren't what the seller said they were.

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for the 51 and how much he paid for the ST5?
Lastly, can you open up that 51 and take a photo of the movement? I am curious if they really stuck an ST-2 in there.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
We each paid $75, not good but worth it for the story haha. I can't open the caseback, but I'll send you a picture when I can! I can confirm his watch did have an ST5 movement with seagull stripes.

Update: movement photos.
Yes, that is a bit pricey but like you said, "worth the story."
Good news, that looks like an ST-2 movement, and it appears to be in good condition.
Enjoy the heck out of it.

·
Registered
26,031 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
One of my favorite things about f72 is the vast amount of wisdom about VCMs. If it wasn't for Ron (AlbertaTime) praising ZhuFeng watches I would have never bought one. Now I own four. They are, in my opinion, a true sleeper brand of VCMs. Not only are they great looking, great fitting and great running watches, but they are also easy and fun to service.
This is my favorite: A 1980's black dial with the green Mt. Everest logo, and the Han Dynasty galloping horse case back emblem.
A wonderful example of how great VCMs can be.
Ron, thank you for sharing your love and wisdom of VCMs. It has made me appreciate them more than I could have ever imagined.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.