WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Today I’ve got on a simple 17 Jewel Rotary with an AS 1900 movement. Finished working on it recently and think it turned out well considering the state it was in when I received it. I think it was owned by a mechanic or something similar previously as it had a number of weld spots on the case and also two incredibly deep scratches.

Watch Analog watch White Light Clock

Watch Analog watch Clock Chair Watch accessory

·
Registered
951 Posts
This has sorely tested me of late, but in a kind and fuzzy way. The setting spring has broken and I have been trying to devise a simple spring that will hold the clutch lever in place and allow a click/notch, when the crown is pulled out, to set the time. I fitted a spring which broke when I tried the final adjustment: the air was blue until the light bulb over my head suggested I turn the remains over ..... and b****r me if it didn't work. I've replaced the crystal and filled in the scratches on the dial with permanent marker applied with a bit of kitchen towel, and it has taken on a sumptuous presence with which I am entirely happy.
Watch Analog watch Automotive tire Clock Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Material property

PS it will probably stop tomorrow.
PPS It is probable that it belonged to George W White who lived in the Chicago area and was drafted into the 5th Army to serve in the Korean War 1950-3.
It has possibly been refaced a long time ago. I suppose if you take a watch to war it will get a lot more stress than if you don't, and this may have been the reason for the redial. The lume is a lifeless sludge so it must have been quite a while ago.

161 - 180 of 218 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.