WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Is that the 35mm? How do you like the Orion compared to an Omega? How does its fit and finish compare to an Omega? I'm trying to decide between an Orion and an AT right now. I can't figure out if I'm leaning towards an Orion sometimes because it costs less and I'd be able to buy sooner than if I decided an an AT. Similarly, I sometimes look at pictures of Nomos and think they look a little cheaper (in terms of inferior quality and design, not price) and worry than I won't like one as much once I have it next to an Omega for comparison. Or, it this just an imagined difference I'm conjuring up out of the price difference?

Nomos Orion for a change.

View attachment 5339514

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Is that the 35mm? How do you like the Orion compared to an Omega? How does its fit and finish compare to an Omega? I'm trying to decide between an Orion and an AT right now. I can't figure out if I'm leaning towards an Orion sometimes because it costs less and I'd be able to buy sooner than if I decided an an AT. Similarly, I sometimes look at pictures of Nomos and think they look a little cheaper (in terms of inferior quality and design, not price) and worry than I won't like one as much once I have it next to an Omega for comparison. Or, it this just an imagined difference I'm conjuring up out of the price difference?
My opinion is that the Orion and the AT are at a similar level of fit and finish. The Orion's movement is actually more nicely decorated than the AT - which is more overtly industrial in appearance.

The price difference reflects the additional complexity of the AT over the Orion - date complication, automatic movement, robustness, water resistance and the metal bracelet. I don't see any intrinsic higher quality in the AT over the Orion.

They're very different watches. I've seen the Orion referred to as the Platonic ideal of a dress watch, and it is for me. The AT is a great one watch, beach to boardroom watch.

If I could only keep two watches out of my current collection it would the AT and the Orion.

BTW if you haven't already seen it this is a great piece on the Orion -

https://www.hodinkee.com/blog/a-week-on-the-wrist-the-nomos-orion

·
Registered
909 Posts
Thanks for the response. I've think I've read and watched just about everything online there is having to do with the Orion. I think it's interesting you refer to the industrial appearance of the AT movement, this is one of the reasons I want a modern Omega with a display back. I don't like things that look too poncy or overdone and these Omega movements definitely are not. The decoration on Omega movements looks much more utilitarian.

I'm thinking about the 38mm Orion with date. At first I was unsure of the larger size and date disrupting the dial. However, after looking at lots of pictures online of the 35mm, the 38mm and the 38mm Datum, I think the 38mm Datum has a little more of a casualness to it that appeals to me. I usually wear a polo shirt and jeans to work, so I think the 38mm Datum will fit my style a little better.

My opinion is that the Orion and the AT are at a similar level of fit and finish. The Orion's movement is actually more nicely decorated than the AT - which is more overtly industrial in appearance.

The price difference reflects the additional complexity of the AT over the Orion - date complication, automatic movement, robustness, water resistance and the metal bracelet. I don't see any intrinsic higher quality in the AT over the Orion.

They're very different watches. I've seen the Orion referred to as the Platonic ideal of a dress watch, and it is for me. The AT is a great one watch, beach to boardroom watch.

If I could only keep two watches out of my current collection it would the AT and the Orion.

BTW if you haven't already seen it this is a great piece on the Orion -

https://www.hodinkee.com/blog/a-week-on-the-wrist-the-nomos-orion

·
Registered
815 Posts

1 - 20 of 32 Posts