WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Screen-Shot-2011-10-04-at-10.02.47-PM.png Screen-Shot-2011-10-04-at-10.02.33-PM.png

I recently purchased this watch, it has a balance wheel and spring but is missing the screw and bridge.
Does anyone have trench parts for sale or a lead on where I can find a bridge? I have already checked ebay.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Can you give us the diameter of the movement? A lot of these look the same but may be different sizes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the movement is about 27mm, the measurement from the bridge screw hole to the balance staff is about 7.5mm, the balance wheel is 10mm, overall diameter (not including lugs or winder) 31mm.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,697 Posts
Is there any chance of a closer photo of the movement? Failing that, to the bottom left of the picture, just beside the click, there is a stamp on the bridge. Is there any chance that it might be an oval "Made in Switzerland" as below? This design is very generic, however...

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
On this type of watch, it's unlikely you'll be able to just swap the bridge from another, similar movement and have it work correctly. A good watchmaker can actually make a new bridge from scratch, but the time and effort required are prohibitive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any chance of a closer photo of the movement? Failing that, to the bottom left of the picture, just beside the click, there is a stamp on the bridge. Is there any chance that it might be an oval "Made in Switzerland" as below? This design is very generic, however...

That's it—the Stamp is oval. I will take close photos of the movement this evening as well. Is that a pin set movement? I forgot to mention that mine was.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,697 Posts
OK, yes that is a pin set, if you look at the top of the picture in the gap between train and barrel bridges you can see the extension to the steel rocker bar (see photo below). You might also notice that for the missing balance cock there are two holes for pins set on opposite sides of the screw hole. I'd say the chances are high that this movement was made by Meyer & Studeli.

Now that was the easy part :) Getting a spare is not going to be so easy. This is a movement that I collect when I see them, just to build a stock of spare parts.

If you take the dial off and compare yours to the above photo we can be a lot more certain that yours is indeed made by M&S.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, yes that is a pin set, if you look at the top of the picture in the gap between train and barrel bridges you can see the extension to the steel rocker bar (see photo below). You might also notice that for the missing balance cock there are two holes for pins set on opposite sides of the screw hole. I'd say the chances are high that this movement was made by Meyer & Studeli.

Now that was the easy part :) Getting a spare is not going to be so easy. This is a movement that I collect when I see them, just to build a stock of spare parts.

If you take the dial off and compare yours to the above photo we can be a lot more certain that yours is indeed made by M&S.
2011-10-06-21.37.jpg
i think they are the same

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,697 Posts
A photo overlay would confirm it, but I have little doubt. I've seen this calibre attached to the back of a dial that was early twenties in style though M&S were making stem set from a year or two later than your watch. Many of these watches carry no name on dial or calibre so finding them is a matter of simply taking the time to view the photos on every likely suspect on ebay. I don't know what the calibre name of this one is. Some of these early cylinder movements, like yours, have a number on the dial side, but I've not yet seen enough commonality to feel comfortably in using this except for my own reference - you'll note mine is stamped 14 and yours 45.

That said these cylinder movements are low quality, and whilst this particular one has some jewelling to the train, I would advise against getting your hopes up too much about getting it running reliably as my experience is that they are tempremental at best. Of course I am not a watchmaker but for me paying a watchmaker would likely cost more than the resale value of the watch. I collect them for the historical value, I prefer the M&S levers of a few years later if I want a watch I can use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts