WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't know what it means when someone types :think: or rodekart or IIRC or ROTFL. I'm only 41. I feel really out of touch.

People here are always typing. :think: yeah, I'm thinking, so?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ok. But what does :think: mean?
Some browsers show a smiley face moving its eyes, and scratching its chin. Some browsers don't interpret that so they show the "code" for think.

If you type ":" and ")" its a smiley face, some people see colon and parentheses, others see a yellow smiley face, others see ":smiley:"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some browsers show a smiley face moving its eyes, and scratching its chin. Some browsers don't interpret that so they show the "code" for think.

If you type ":" and ")" its a smiley face, some people see colon and parentheses, others see a yellow smiley face, others see ":smiley:"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you!!! Geez. I was always wondering why people would prompt each other to "think" on this forum. I was like "we are thinking about what you posted," no need to urge us to do so.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Thank you!!! Geez. I was always wondering why people would prompt each other to "think" on this forum. I was like "we are thinking about what you posted," no need to urge us to do so.
Right - because when I read your post from above on Firefox on a desktop computer, it shows the animated face scratching its chin like it is deep in thought, or wondering.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right - because when I read your post from above on Firefox on a desktop computer, it shows the animated face scratching its chin like it is deep in thought, or wondering.
Had to look on a desktop and weird you are right. Now I feel like an idiot. Rodekart. What's that code for?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Had to look on a desktop and weird you are right. Now I feel like an idiot. Rodekart. What's that code for?
I don't know about "rodekart". Never noticed it before. If it usually has colons on either side then it's probably a smily-faced emoticon. Maybe it's related to roadhouse?

Regarding the other slang, I can relate. As someone who has used email since 1975, I still haven't quite gotten used to the notion that abbreviations used in email (ROTFL = Rolling on the floor laughing, etc) have actually lost their meaning and are now just some sort of lame punctuation. For example, vapid crap like:

"I was walking down the road lol. I saw a watch store lol. inside the watch store was a cool watch rotfl that looked like a Rolex lol. So I asked the dude behind the counter lol what the watch was and he imho said lol that the watch was really an omega omg."

If you turned those abbreviations into what they actually stood for, you'd want to blow your brains out lol.

·
Premium Member
7,377 Posts
"Rodekaart" is probably the Dutch code for one of the common emoticons. (Ernie is Dutch, as I recall.) I see it all the time on Tapatalk, but have never explored it. Maybe it's Dutch for the red card that soccer referees hold up to call a serious foul.

Rick "guessing" Denney

Reactions: ken_sturrock

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
"Rodekaart" is probably the Dutch code for one of the common emoticons. (Ernie is Dutch, as I recall.) I see it all the time on Tapatalk, but have never explored it. Maybe it's Dutch for the red card that soccer referees hold up to call a serious foul.

Rick "guessing" Denney
Good guess. You are correct. It's "red card" and it's used when you are protesting something someone else posted, "calling a foul" as it were.

Ernie is indeed Dutch. Watchuseek is a Dutch site, hosted in The Netherlands.

Jeannie

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good guess. You are correct. It's "red card" and it's used when you are protesting something someone else posted, "calling a foul" as it were.

Ernie is indeed Dutch. Watchuseek is a Dutch site, hosted in The Netherlands.

Jeannie
Thanks for this explanation. I'm glad i asked as I usually look at WUS on my phone. Things are making sense to me now . I just thought I was really unhip or something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts