WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Movie award season upon us it made me think - does WUS have awards?

So I searched and there seemed to be a few previous suggestions (for the 'WUSies' and the like) but I couldn't see any awards that got off the ground...
To you 'old timers' - have there ever been awards in WUS?
To moderators - is there any reason it couldn't be done? (providing it was clear that it was WUS 'readers' awards and not endorsed by any WUS sponsored companies)

I think the ideal format would be for members to vote on their 'favourite' watch, so as to not make any claims as to it being the 'best'.
We could have categories per major sub-forum:
e.g. WUS Readers favourite Dive watch of 2013
WUS readers favourite Digital watch of 2013
etc.

The process could run along the lines of:
1) Each sub-forum could have one nomination thread where people can nominate any qualifying watch released in the last year.
2) A forum moderator (or moderators) select up to 20 of the best from the nominations (their decision final - privilege of rank and all that)
3) One poll thread where people can vote for their favourite from the short list.
4) Then in the public forum we would have one summary thread to 'formally' announce the results.

I think it might be a good way to bring all the forums together once a year - get everyone thinking about watches outside their usual forum(s)...
What do you think?
A bit of fun?
A waste of time? :)

·
Premium Member
40,382 Posts
Sounds like fun. I was assuming that Geoffbot would object to the bit about moderators having to collate and select the best 20 and open a poll though.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Moderators have too much to do already to take on something like this. Sorry.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure Ray (and we appreciate all the moderators do :))

The process was just a first suggestion. It could be modified. e.g.:

1) Each sub-forum could have one nomination thread where people can nominate any qualifying watch released in the last year.
2) A volunteer coordinator (>100 posts, no infringements?, could be a moderator but only if they volunteer) could collate the results and select up to 20 of the best which would need to be approved by PM from that forum's moderator(s).
3) One poll thread where people can vote for their favourite from the short list.
4) Then in the public forum we would have one summary thread to 'formally' announce the results.

More palatable?

For the coordinator, it's 2 posts (nomination and poll) plus reading through nominations to make a list - probably not more than most WUSheads do in a day anyway :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
How about just get people to nominate their favourite watch of 2013, then take the top 5 most voted for watches and hold a poll for the fave of those five, then you will have a winner?

Nice and easy, I'll happily be part of this.

I just need to remember which watches were actually released in 2013 :)

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
No problem if Members want to run it themselves. It's just that there's a lot of spam to deal with (we have over 200,000 Members now and are a prime target.) We also like to have lives apart from Moderating.

·
Premium Member
40,382 Posts
Sure Ray (and we appreciate all the moderators do :))

The process was just a first suggestion. It could be modified. e.g.:

2) A volunteer coordinator (>100 posts, no infringements?, could be a moderator but only if they volunteer) could collate the results and select up to 20 of the best which would need to be approved by PM from that forum's moderator(s).

More palatable?

For the coordinator, it's 2 posts (nomination and poll) plus reading through nominations to make a list - probably not more than most WUSheads do in a day anyway :)
I'll happily take part for f71 (affordables)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll happily take part for f71 (affordables)
OK Brad, your enthusiasm has remotivated me :)

Let's give it a go!

BradJHomes will kindly run the 'Affordables'
I'll go and see if there's any interest in 'Digital' (invite the GShock & Smart guys in too)

Any volunteers for Dive, Pil/Mil, High End, HA Quartz, Ladies?

Suggest nominations open for a week before creating a poll thread and running for another week.
Main rule: The watch must match the (sometimes loose) sub-forum definition and must have been released in 2013.

Maybe in a few weeks we circle back round, put the winners of each category into a public forum superpoll like fatpete suggests.

Volunteers, please sign up below!

·
Premium Member
33,441 Posts
We also like to have lives apart from Moderating.
What???? I thought Mods had to live on this site 24-7, 365, with non-watch related activities allowed only on special occasions..........

By the way, what are non-watch related activities any way?????..........

·
Premium Member
40,382 Posts
Just let me know what you want me to do and when

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
If needed,I can help with Panerai subforum (though the answer will likely revolve around 510,512,514 since I find their newer releases to be either undesireable or too expensive)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Volunteers!

So we have
Affordables - BradJHomes
Digitals - Apollo83
Divers - RPalace
Panerais - Synequano (I wasn't thinking of brand forums but the more the merrier!)

Anyone for PilMil, Ladies, High End and HA Quartz?

So next steps:

1) Create a nominations thread in your chosen forum
e.g here's the one I did in Digital:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f296/wus-award-nominations-favourite-digital-watch-2013-a-975909.html
2) Wait a week
3) If you have more than 20 watches nominated, reduce it to what you think are the 20 most worthy.
4) Create a poll thread with your nominated watches
5) Wait a week
6) PM me with the results and I'll create a grand final poll in the Public forum

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bump. Still looking for volunteers for high end, haq, pilmil and ladies

Come on. You know you want to. :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts