WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 2804 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I start thinking that Aquanaut is valid but in Russian it has a sort of provocative connotation since it sounds very similar as "Alkonaut"
This is perfect!

For me "Aquanaut" is the winner ;-)
Is insane and ironic, I love it

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
definitely in. Are we going to be able to get choose our serial number? if so, I ask for number 1(!), or any number less than 10 , or 68 if neither are available.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Collateral questions:
which types of straps or bracelets offers Meranom for our choice?

What do you think about?
Rubber? Steel? Or a mesh?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Sorry, I'm out on this seeing this final design. It is way too messy with all the different marker colors for me. Greenish bezel markers, white chapter ring markers, yellowish lume on the hour markers... doesn't work for me. Should have been all white, or all greenish or all yellowish, this just isn't a coherent design..
Would have put up with it, if it were the outcome of a collaboration I had a voice in myself. But won't accept it as a design forced without my (and the rest community's) input.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel, I think the colours are slightly mismatched but then again I like it in some ways too, I wish we could have 1 last poll on the caseback, it seems a little mis matched or franken to me in the sense that it doesn't pay enough respect to the original slava in my eyes. Knowing me I may end up buying one but for now I'm just not sure, perhaps more renders or pics will help. Its a shame we can't do the polls, I think the polls should have 2 options only decided by the project team so there is a clear winner in each poll and less of a divide in the community regarding the design. Also cost will be an issue for me so for now i'm out but I may be in depending on my flipping of watches and work.

Keep up the good work and lets keep the momentum on this project, part of me wants to see it finished and the rest of me wants long argument fueled polls and a year of decisions before a watch is made, at least then we can 100% say the community chose the designs.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel, I think the colours are slightly mismatched but then again I like it in some ways too, I wish we could have 1 last poll on the caseback, it seems a little mis matched or franken to me in the sense that it doesn't pay enough respect to the original slava in my eyes. Knowing me I may end up buying one but for now I'm just not sure, perhaps more renders or pics will help. Its a shame we can't do the polls, I think the polls should have 2 options only decided by the project team so there is a clear winner in each poll and less of a divide in the community regarding the design. Also cost will be an issue for me so for now i'm out but I may be in depending on my flipping of watches and work.

Keep up the good work and lets keep the momentum on this project, part of me wants to see it finished and the rest of me wants long argument fueled polls and a year of decisions before a watch is made, at least then we can 100% say the community chose the designs.
The colours are mismatched like in the original one:

I am quite surprised that Pier's rendering receives so much flack on the matter, I am pretty sure he tried to represent the original dials the best he could, as you can see ALL the specimens we have seen have greenish numbers on the bezel, white chapter rings, they of course aged lume after those years...and some of them don't have even the same shade of fluorescent orange for the markers and the minute hand.

For the caseback, besides the custom engrave (I hope the Russian friends will tell Pier what to write exactly) it's a straight remake of the original design (not the solution that I wanted), so I don't see any room for accusations of "frankenism" that might have happen if the moderation had chosen the other options of the polls, namely the Sadko and the Poljot Dolphin (that I sponsored).

Collateral questions:
which types of straps or bracelets offers Meranom for our choice?

What do you think about?
Rubber? Steel? Or a mesh?
After having seen that some people pulled out on what IMO are trivial details like Vostok or Amphibian on the dial, the colour of lume, the greenish numbers on the dial etc..I think it would be safer if we follow the Soviet tradition of ordering the watch without strap, so anybody can use what they already have or order it separately from Meranom.

Perhaps we might also get a reproduction of the original plastic box that was used at the time:

·
Registered
429 Posts
"Aquanaut" not russian word like "astronaut"
Not sure I'm following you here, but to make sure, Americans how travel to space like for example Neil Armstrong are called Astronauts,
Helmet Personal protective equipment Headgear Photography Headgear

whereas Russians who travel to space like for example Alexej A Leonov are called Cosmonauts.
Helmet Personal protective equipment Astronaut Headgear Headgear

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The colours are mismatched like in the original one:

I am quite surprised that Pier's rendering receives so much flack on the matter, I am pretty sure he tried to represent the original dials the best he could, as you can see ALL the specimens we have seen have greenish numbers on the bezel, white chapter rings, they of course aged lume after those years...and some of them don't have even the same shade of fluorescent orange for the markers and the minute hand.

For the caseback, besides the custom engrave (I hope the Russian friends will tell Pier what to write exactly) it's a straight remake of the original design (not the solution that I wanted), so I don't see any room for accusations of "frankenism" that might have happen if the moderation had chosen the other options of the polls, namely the Sadko and the Poljot Dolphin (that I sponsored).

After having seen that some people pulled out on what IMO are trivial details like Vostok or Amphibian on the dial, the colour of lume, the greenish numbers on the dial etc..I think it would be safer if we follow the Soviet tradition of ordering the watch without strap, so anybody can use what they already have or order it separately from Meranom.

Perhaps we might also get a reproduction of the original plastic box that was used at the time:

I see what you mean, I'm tempted but time will tell, also will buyers be able to ask for a specific number?

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I see what you mean, I'm tempted but time will tell, also will buyers be able to ask for a specific number?

Ok I understand some people would like to have the numbers in white in order to have a more uniform look, to be honest if I could choose I would go that way as well, but the moderation has decided on the basis of the previous polls to have a faithful reissue, or better as faithful as it could be due to the budget retrains we have, still FOR ME the green numbers, or the Vostok/Amphibia logo, or the vintage or white lume are not a deal breaker as they don't detract anything from the beauty of the watch, but I understand for some people these details might be seen otherwise, I just would like to point out that at the time we still had polls Amphibia was voted by 70% of the people and the aged lume was heading.

Regarding aged lume, yesterday I visited an AD and checked this watch that is somewhat similar to the WUS Amhibia:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
I was very impressed by the vintage lume (that was really green-brown) and I think if it were white the watch wouldn't be interesting at all.

For the numbering, still Chascomm has to decide, but I don't think there shouldn't be any problem for that, I understand Recoil thinks it's going to be hard to manage but I think he will cope with that.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
ALL the specimens we have seen have greenish numbers on the bezel
I've pored over every detail in creating my own mockups and for many details, the bezel in particular, there is no single correct answer. This is why I never wanted to choose for the community single-handedly. I never saw the actual results myself but from what was posted previously I thought white lume was winning?

With all respect, I'm glad to see this project is not dead. Mere discussion should not stop this from progressing if everyone can stay cool.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've pored over every detail in creating my own mockups and for many details, the bezel in particular, there is no single correct answer. This is why I never wanted to choose for the community single-handedly. I never saw the actual results myself but from what was posted previously I thought white lume was winning?

With all respect, I'm glad to see this project is not dead. Mere discussion should not stop this from progressing if everyone can stay cool.

For me this nati like strap with orange stripe realy works as a wristband.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
429 Posts
In my experience some of the best designs are the ones you slowly grow to like (and sometimes eventually love). I've been eyeing this for quite a while now and the more I see it the more I take it to my heart. So, I'm in! It's just too special (in so many ways) and unique to decline.

As I understand it, this project has been fraught with difficulties in many various ways (haven't been following it). My only wish would be to have one of a few specific serial numbers if at all possible (it's not a deal breaker in any way whatsoever); in order of importance No. 069, No. 062, No. 076, No. 001, No. 100, or No. 200. I know Meranom have a site feature for selecting serial numbers (if it's of any help in this context, what do I know). Well as I said, it doesn't really matter, it would just be some small added value to me personally.

I'm not sure what people drive this project, but I think it's very honorable to push forward despite the difficulties (whatever they are/were) to try to make this beautiful timepiece be materialized. Thanks!

(Oh and BTW, if at all possible I'd appreciate if the suggestions from our Russian friends (I'm Swedish myself) concerning the cyrillic wordings on the case back are considered. After all, its going to be a Russian watch and I'm sure it wouldn't be credible to just translate from English to Russian word by word as it's also a matter of Russian cultural and language specifics)

·
Registered
9,611 Posts

These are watches that are at least 25 years old, probably more, the UV might have a lot of influence on the way the dial and the bezel, as stated previously Pier worked mostly with the pictures of the watches that belong to Lucidor and Mr. Mike and they are two members of this board and in the case of Mr.Mike he was available to contribute with some helpful information on the dimensions, the two watches are here:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/last-piece-my-diver-collection-found-slava-amphibia-759539.html

https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/slava-amphibian-601478.html

I am pretty sure Pier did his best in order to capture the correct shades of colour and IMO stating that his renderings don't have any resemblance with the original is intellectual dishonesty, as well as the comments regarding "undemocratic process" from people who tried to subvert the results of the polls we had (for instance, orange vs. red indices)...but I think it's better to move on.

It appears to me that some of the watches we can find online have the numbers of the bezel in a sort of mint green colour, others have it in metallic grey, I assume (but I am not sure) that the greens were "aged" by UV, like in this one:

Fashion accessory Watch Analog watch Watch accessory

To be honest I don't see hate for it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
by the way - professional holiday in Russia May 5 - Day of the diver - note as professional divers ("Водолаз" in Russian) and amateurs divers ("divers").
I am not 100% positive that there is a word дайвер in Russian. The professional Holiday mention "Водолаз" only, apparently дайверы is shilling on Bali with snorkelers and other down-shifters. And "Russian diver" watch looks like that......
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Brown Fashion accessory

it is known...So let it be "акванавт" it is really fun

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I am not 100% positive that there is a word дайвер in Russian. The professional Holiday mention "Водолаз" only, apparently дайверы is shilling on Bali with snorkelers and other down-shifters. And "Russian diver" watch looks like that......
View attachment 8977657

it is known...So let it be "акванавт" it is really fun
ahahahaha! One poster at the beginning of this thread complained that the Slava wasn't really a Soviet design, I assume that's his idea of a Russian Diver...:-d:-d

Seriously, can you guys get an agreement on something which doesn't sound goofy in Russian?:)

41 - 60 of 2804 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.