WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apple's WWDC, Worldwide Developers Conference, doesn't have the flash and dash of new product launches, but (IMO) it's really the most important Apple conference of the year. Apple builds the hardware and OS, but developers write the apps that enable us to use the devices.

Apple - watchOS 2
Apple - Press Info - Apple Previews New Apple Watch Software
Apple announces watchOS 2 with third-party Apple Watch apps, new Timepieces, video playback, much more | 9to5Mac
​Apple WWDC 2015: Apple Watch OS update, third party native apps on tap | ZDNet
etc.. Much more at macsurfer.com (my usual site for Mac stuff)

Besides giving a look at iOS 9 and Mac OS 10.11, along with incremental updates to HealthKit and HomeKit, Apple previewed the new Watch OS. In a nutshell:

- New watch faces, including third-party access to complications and user photo backgrounds;
- More ways to organize favorite contacts
- Time Travel: turn the Digital Crown to look ahead and back in time at appointments, notifications, etc;
- Nightstand mode: the Watch can lay on its side and display the time. Press the crown to snooze an alarm, press the side button to turn the alarm off;
- Reply to emails instead of just reading them;
- Native third-party apps;
- Developer access to Watch sensor hardware (HR, accelerometer, etc) and HealthKit;
- Expanded Siri abilities ("Siri, start a 30minute walk," or get directions, etc);

And on and on.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
they should have released the watch with all these things, but it's a welcomed development. 3rd party watch dials weren't mentioned though -_-.

·
Registered
17,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think native apps (as an example) should have been part of version 1 since the platform is so new to the developers. Forcing them to stay off the device for the first six months of WatchKit kept them from dumping too much into the watch. Some developers have figured out how to best use the Watch, and some haven't.

Anyway, the watches have only been shipping since late April, (it's been, what, six weeks?) so it's not like they've delayed for years.

More importantly, remember that this is a developers' conference. Apple hasn't hosted anything like this for the Watch yet. They've done three things so far: reveal the hardware, send out the software, and reveal the price ranges. This conference is for getting the developers together with Apple's own engineers for seminars, coding classes, and hands-on instruction and advice. Any app developer who isn't an idiot will have been working their way through WatchKit since it was released, and they've got projects and questions of their own now. It would have been pointless to do all of this back in October, because nobody would have had a chance to try anything on the Watch so soon after its announcement.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Good updates in watchOS 2. Native apps, 3rd party complications, and adding store cards to Apple Pay and Wallet. Good stuff

As mentioned, most people don't get that WWDC is a developer's conference. For whatever reason, they expect new hardware. The foundation laid down in the software will bring about really cool things later this year in the fall. Looking forward to more updates to make my AW better!

·
Registered
17,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other feature that'll be added is Activation Lock.

In another thread, I mentioned that the Watch was lacking a way to brick itself if it were stolen. That's what Activation Lock does -- you'd need your Apple ID and password to get it running. You can choose whether or not to use it, too.

Until then, the Watch erases its data when paired with another phone. You lose your Watch, but at least your personal data doesn't get leaked.

·
Registered
17,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More info about WatchOS 2 and what it'll allow away from the iPhone:
http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/15/06/14/apple-is-making-the-watch-better-by-making-it-even-more-realtime

Apple is beginning to cut the umbilical with watchOS 2. This fall, the Watch will gain an expanded ability to connect to known Wi-Fi networks independently; that means you'll be able to go for a run without your phone, but still check the weather when you're near a hotspot.

That's not just a boon for Apple's apps, either. Third-party developers — who will finally be able to write apps to run natively on the watch — can also take advantage of that connectivity to refresh their own app data, uploading running stats in real time or alerting you to a fast-approaching storm.

Third-party complications represent another opportunity for the Watch to ingrain itself even further into wearers' lives. Complications are designed to provide the fastest possible interaction with the Watch; in some cases, this means sub-one-second glances.

·
Registered
17,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2936174/its-about-time-why-watchos-2-convinced-me-to-buy-an-apple-watch.html

Since then I’ve heard about performance issues, dissatisfaction about the absence of native apps, features that were “dropped” from the shipping version of the watch and more. I’ve seen people complain about their watch, criticize their watch and even break up with their watch. (Although is it weird that the last one happened on the fashion page of the New York Times?)

So even though I’m filled with as much geek lust as the next person, I made up my mind to wait until version 2.

The funny thing is, I thought I meant hardware.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The funny thing is that right after I watched WWDC keynote, I went out for a run and asked Siri to start my outdoor running workout for 25min. I was confused when it asked me to use handoff... only after a few seconds did I realize that I need watchOS 2, and that's not until the fall.

Guess I'm saying that things in watchOS 2 seem intuitive and should work already. Looking forward to the update!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
One other thing is that it's interesting to note the features that the author highlights, and not, given that he hasn't used the watch yet.

I was surprised that the 3rd party complications feature was buried in a sentence towards the end. That's huge. Also, being able to see the battery charge level with the Time Travel feature... well, I didn't find it all that exciting (but Time Travel itself could be useful).

What features are you guys most excited about?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I don't think native apps (as an example) should have been part of version 1 since the platform is so new to the developers. Forcing them to stay off the device for the first six months of WatchKit kept them from dumping too much into the watch. Some developers have figured out how to best use the Watch, and some haven't.
I believe that was part of the thinking. John Gruber interviewed Phil Schiller (for real) last week as a part of Gruber's Talk Show. I think Phil said that with the iPhone launch, not having the SDK for 3rd party developers wasn't ideal. Apple still needed time to flesh out the APIs with watchOS, and in the meantime, the mitigation tactic was to provide the current version of watchKit that only provided "projected" apps onto the AW.

Generally speaking I think it makes sense. The main thing for developers is figuring out what types of things makes sense for a new form factor (most 3rd party apps suck today because I don't think most developers understand what makes sense as a watch app, not that developers suck). WatchKit helps them try things out and get feedback (negative feedback is also good too) so that when they get the "real" SDK, they're better prep'ed to make good apps.

If watchKit wasn't released, the developers would only be getting customer feedback when the native SDK goes out, and that would only delay us getting quality apps for a few more months as the developers get up to speed on making good apps.

·
Registered
17,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bump for imminent WatchOS2 and iOS 9 release this week.

Something to note: Update your iPhone to iOS 9 first (although the AW needs iPhone 5 and newer, iOS 9 will run on iPhone 4S), then you'll gain access to the WOS2 update.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts