WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm new to this forum, and have a couple of questions I'd appreciate some input on.

I'm interested in watches with a soft iron inner case (for increased anti-magnetic protection) as opposed to just an additional iron dust cover that fits between the movement and case back (with no protection around sides and front of the movement).

IWC of course are well known for their inner iron cases on their Mark XI, XII, XV and XVI range and also Ingenieur range.

Do all WWW (Mark X?) watches from the 40s onwards have an inner iron case or just an iron dust cover? Does anyone happen to know where one can find the WWW spec on the web at all please?

On a different note, does anyone know whether it is possible to repair a GG-W-113 movement? I recently bought a Hamilton GG-W-113 from 1971 and it died shortly after arrival. I sent it to the Swatch Group's main repair centre in Switzerland (who own Hamilton) and they told me that they were unable to get any spare parts so the watch was non-repairable.

Many thanks!

Kind regards

Pat

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
On a different note, does anyone know whether it is possible to repair a GG-W-113 movement? I recently bought a Hamilton GG-W-113 from 1971 and it died shortly after arrival. I sent it to the Swatch Group's main repair centre in Switzerland (who own Hamilton) and they told me that they were unable to get any spare parts so the watch was non-repairable.

Many thanks!

Kind regards

Pat
They should be repairable, someone around here should be able to direct you to someone capable of fixing it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The people at Hamilton aren't really interested in fixing old watches.
Also, in my experience, I have had shops telling me the watch had been sent to Switzerland when, in fact, the work was done by their in-house watch murderer so they could ask more for the repair...
GG-W-113's have very high quality movements and were made to last.
Saying that, it all depends what's wrong with the watch.
Has it been exposed to moisture? Did it drop?
If it just stopped for no apparent reason, then it probably just needs a service.
In any case, I suggest you start shoping around for a good watch maker. I have a 1982 GG-W-113 that was totally flattened and was made to work in a jiffy by my usual watch guy.
The same way, I had a ticking and keeping time 1978 one and some high street guy told me it was so far gone it couldn't be fixed.
It all depends who you talk to and how experienced they are.
Normally, in any good shop, you should be able to talk directly to the person who will carry out the repairs on your watch.
I hope this helps.
Best,
RedJack.

Hi there, I'm new to this forum, and have a couple of questions I'd appreciate some input on.

I'm interested in watches with a soft iron inner case (for increased anti-magnetic protection) as opposed to just an additional iron dust cover that fits between the movement and case back (with no protection around sides and front of the movement).

IWC of course are well known for their inner iron cases on their Mark XI, XII, XV and XVI range and also Ingenieur range.

Do all WWW (Mark X?) watches from the 40s onwards have an inner iron case or just an iron dust cover? Does anyone happen to know where one can find the WWW spec on the web at all please?

Many thanks!

Kind regards

Pat

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks RedJack. The watch only just came into my possession so I have no idea what it has been through! The seller has agreed to take it back so hopefully I might be able to source another one from the same year. But you are probably right, in future I will take it to an independent watchmaker. Have a Happy New Year guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts