WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know anything about Wyler Incaflex watches? I have two of them. One is larger than the other. I can post pictures tomorrow if necessary. Any info is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Usually on the small size by today's standards

The SS steel ones are nice

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Usually on the small size by today's standards

The SS steel ones are nice
Pocket watches are on the small size by today's fashion... hummmm.... what goes around, comes around ;-)

(Personally I think pie pan watches were designed with us geezers with
presbyopia in mind :-d)

·
Registered
741 Posts
wyler used AS or ETA movements. they developed a balance wheel with flexible arms to absorb shocks- the incaflex. they had good cases and are a solid medium quality brand.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S

·
0 Posts
Wyler became known as the inventor of the INCAFLEX - an inhouse balance wheel with flexible arms.
Here´s a Wyler out of the good old times with Incaflex I am happy to own:

Mine is fitted with an ETA 1220.

Wyler never left the stage, for a long time it was Wyler-Vetta and since this year it was re-launched as "Wyler Geneve". And Wyler dates back to 1896. Wyler of our days belongs to the italian Binda Group. They exhibited at Baselworld but I haven´t had enough time to visit their booth.
CEO Marc Bernhardt worked for Bertolucci and was Executive Sales Director of IWC.

Wyler Geneve: http://www.wylergeneva.com/

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Hi there,

there are some Wylers in my watch archive with pics and informations about the Incaflex (sorry sold, no longer available):
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2usau&1161788413
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2usau&1199894429
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2usau&1211986845

And the movement archive gives some informations about Wyler:
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Wyler_000

Even relatively new movements were equippd with the Incaflex:
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Wyler_ETA_2789

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
741 Posts
wyler-vetta came into being because wyler wanted to do business in italy. under italian law at the time, a foriegn company had to be partnered with a domestic company in order to do business there. i'm not sure at what point vetta acquired wyler or whether they actually did. perhaps the name name could exist in italy even after wyler went out of business?

wyler was one the first watches i collected extensively. most in my collection were of a one-piece case design.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both of mine are "waterproof" and feature one piece cases. The caseback appear to be welded on or something of that nature!

The larger one is a mens watch and I think the smaller one (an exact copy of the larger one but smaller) is a ladies watch.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,419 Posts
Does anybody know anything about Wyler Incaflex watches? I have two of them. One is larger than the other. I can post pictures tomorrow if necessary. Any info is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Incaflex is a very effective shockproofing system. My watchmaker has seen many Wylers in his very long career (another of his regulars collects and trades Wylers), and has never seen a broken balance staff on an Incaflex-equipped watch. He reckons nothing does the job better.

In more general terms, Wyler watches are a bit better than similar watches from the 1950s and 60s.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Both of mine are "waterproof" and feature one piece cases. The caseback appear to be welded on or something of that nature!

The larger one is a mens watch and I think the smaller one (an exact copy of the larger one but smaller) is a ladies watch.

welded or formed. i'm not sure of the exact process. they will have a split stem and water resistant crown. it's a pretty effective way of keeping gunk out of the movement. other companies had similar systems, but i can't think of one that used it one piece cases as much as wyler.

hamilton had their CLD series that functioned the same way. i don't know if other manufacturers had special names for this style.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Incaflex is a very effective shockproofing system. My watchmaker has seen many Wylers in his very long career (another of his regulars collects and trades Wylers), and has never seen a broken balance staff on an Incaflex-equipped watch. He reckons nothing does the job better.

In more general terms, Wyler watches are a bit better than similar watches from the 1950s and 60s.

i gave a friend at work a wyler. he wore it for about year until his 4 year old got a hold of it. he told me that he wasn't sure what she did, but it it wasn't working anymore. i took it apart and the balance was broken. he said that he might have heard the thunk of it hitting the wall. incaflex is good for up and down shocks, but i don't think anything can help a side to side jar like that. it's still sitting in my desk here. an ETA 2375. good looking movement. you can do a lot worse than wyler, but as i tend to collect only manufacturers, i lost interest in the brand.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Benrus used a similar case design in the 40s and 50s

Also, from what I've read, Benrus was a large volume producer during that period

Coincidentally, like Wyler, Benrus also mainly used relabeled ETA movements (although Wyler did more adaptations on the ebauches)

I think I also have a Buren and Imperial that have a similar design.

You should be able to see that there is a piece of the bezel missing under the stem location when the crown is in the time setting position.

I usually put them face up on a hard flat surface and push down on the edges of the crystal with my thumbs. The crystal and case back push out the back of the bezel.

Then a knife will separate the crystal from the case back.

Here is a photo of a Benrus:

and the dial and movement in the case back with the crystal removed

welded or formed. i'm not sure of the exact process. they will have a split stem and water resistant crown. it's a pretty effective way of keeping gunk out of the movement. other companies had similar systems, but i can't think of one that used it one piece cases as much as wyler.

hamilton had their CLD series that functioned the same way. i don't know if other manufacturers had special names for this style.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am glad that there is not much interest in collecting vintage Wyler Incaflex watches - that just means that I can still find them for a reasonable price EBay. Currently I have four of them, the most I have paid for one is $50 - for an Incaflex Dynawind with the original Wyler Band and day date display. Super deal IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
He Bud, I have recently purchased a Wyler Incaflex SS1610-1023H (stainless steel) that I am loving. I Having a little trouble finding a jeweler who can the adjust the original elastic band. I have since changed it to a leather strap, but of course I will have the original band sized to my wrist. Is there anyone out their that can tell me a more about this particular beauty Wyler. I was told when I purchased it, that it was a favorite of WWII pilots because it's small 3/4 size fit easily under their flight suits. Any info and I would be glad to help you on guitars, amplifiers and a whole lot of electronics. Thanks drdeebs

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
The elastic metal strap is not original. But they became common. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
14 Posts
i picked this wyler up in an antique shop for $18 bucks.........runs like a top but needs a new crystal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anybody know if rumors are true that WWII fliers used Wyler Incaflex 3/4 watches because of the shock resistance and that they were waterproof? Thanks dr

1 - 20 of 36 Posts