WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a couple of Wylers on the Bay, one an Incaflex and one a jeweled lever "Wycoflex". The Incaflex tells great time and works perfect. The other runs intermittently. Both cool little 50-60's era watches.
The weird thing they both have in common is that both have a "rattle or clicking" sound when shaken gently. Not a huge deal anyway, spent less than $60 on both, but wondered if anyone out there has had a similar experience with their Wylers. Don't know their service histories either. Thanks in advance for any info.:think:

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,170 Posts
I picked up a couple of Wylers on the Bay, one an Incaflex and one a jeweled lever "Wycoflex". The Incaflex tells great time and works perfect. The other runs intermittently. Both cool little 50-60's era watches.
The weird thing they both have in common is that both have a "rattle or clicking" sound when shaken gently. Not a huge deal anyway, spent less than $60 on both, but wondered if anyone out there has had a similar experience with their Wylers. Don't know their service histories either. Thanks in advance for any info.:think:
Congratulations! As for the noise, that just might be the movement holding ring having worn out a little so that the whole movement is slightly loose inside the case. I have one or two like that...

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I think that is probably right. Especially on the Incaflex you get the sense that the whole movement is slightly adrift. Guess a trip to the watchmaker is in order. Thanks for the advice Hartmut.:thanks

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Yes, I think that is probably right. Especially on the Incaflex you get the sense that the whole movement is slightly adrift. Guess a trip to the watchmaker is in order. Thanks for the advice Hartmut.:thanks
I have successfully cured a couple of 'rattling' movements by wrapping a little bit of PTFE tape (plumber's thread seal tape - the white stuff without adhesive) around the movement - keeping clear of the balance of course. A lot cheaper than a watchmaker.

·
Registered
18,177 Posts
I have successfully cured a couple of 'rattling' movements by wrapping a little bit of PTFE tape (plumber's thread seal tape - the white stuff without adhesive) around the movement - keeping clear of the balance of course. A lot cheaper than a watchmaker.
... and I was going to suggest duct tape :-d

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
... and I was going to suggest duct tape :-d
Philistine!

Attached a picture of an improvised movement ring formed from garden wire - plastic coated of course.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are all great solutions, but unfortunately the Incaflex is a front loader and I'm definitely not up to that task. The other one is accessed from the rear but it has problems besides the loose fit that would require the watchmaker's skills. Thanks for all the great insights though.:thanks

·
11,874 Posts
The Wyler 'incaflex' I have is an automatic (RR approved) ....this may be some of the noise? I does not say automatic on the dial...center one:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts