WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I was reading a post about two weeks ago. Someone mentioned (sry, can't remember who) that they heard the x-ray scanners at airports could damage the solar cells on the g-shocks.
Since I'm taking a Frog on a much needed diving vacation in about 3 weeks, does anyone know if there's any validity to that?:think:
Thanks so much!
Chris

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Have no fears from X-rays. I wore mine to work & it went through an x-ray machine every day for almost a year with no effect to the watch at all. X-rays are just another form of light.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Have no fears from X-rays. I wore mine to work & it went through an x-ray machine every day for almost a year with no effect to the watch at all. X-rays are just another form of light.
Following that logic, so are microwaves; but I wouldn't want to put my watch in a microwave oven :think:

Back on topic: there should be no ill effects from an X-Ray machine at the airport on your watch. Let not your heart be troubled :-!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That's a fantastic idea for a G-shock torture test, though....
Has anyone tried putting their watch in a microwave before?

·
Registered
171 Posts
No need to worry.
Last week i have a mri scan and I, and they, forgot to ask for my watch, the Gulfman wave.
It's still running...b-)

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Yeah, the watch is fine, but how are your gonads?

·
Registered
171 Posts
:oops:
Yep, my misstake
:oops:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I've sent my 2300 solar through the luggage scanner at the airport 3 years ago and it still works.

MRIs use strong magnetic fields. I've read about these frying watches in this forum. You may have gotten lucky. On Mythbusters they had a MRI machine pick up a bottle of iron powder or iron oxide or something like that.

I doubt your G is microwave safe. I thought about that, but strong microwave energy (just radio waves) sparks across metal. See for yourself what it did to this MODEM:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=microwave+modem&search=Search
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWUFej31ebY

Wouldn't recommend that.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Well the problem with microwave is not the "microwave" it's the heat that's generated. G-shocks are "shock" protected... not heat protected...

Microwave would just overheat and melt the rubber and solder joints and that would permanently damage the watch.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input, I'll try to get some good underwater shots of my TC Frog.
Phins up!:-!
Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts