WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

I have a 6 month old x-wind and I just recently noticed that the dial moves a bit when I pull out the crown to adjust the date or time. It seems to me that the movement is a little loose inside the watch case. I asked a dealer about it and was told that its normal for this model.

what do you guys think? is this normal? have you experienced this?

thanks.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Hi cliffy,

I've got also a X-Wind and what you mention doesn't happen to me... I would send it to check it out at the service centre.

But I've also have to tell you that the day ring just broke a few days ago, but it was my fault. I accidently modified the day while it had the hour hand at 12 o'clock am.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have two X-Winds and the movements don't move when I pull out the crowns either. That dealer is telling you a load of rubbish!

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Agreed, it should not move. I don't have an X-Wind so I can't look, I can see it on a Tachymiler but that doesn't have the rotating bezel stuff in the case that may affect the mounting or what you can see. But the movement in your watch should be held in by two tabs and two screws at the edge of the movement, at about 6:30 and 12:30. There are a few things that can cause problems with these tabs (they're called "bride d’emboîtage"):

1) One or both of the screws are loose or missing. Obvious.

2) One or both of the tabs are bent. Could be fixed, but might be easier to replace. The part number is 93.030.00. This could be due to significant shock to the watch.

3) The tabs already have a bend in them, and the action of tightening the screw will wedge the tab against the case. If the tab is put in upside down, then the movement will not be pressed into the case with sufficient force. Easy to correct. Manufacturing error or during servicing.

So... if you have any experience with working on watches, you could probably do this yourself. Since your watch is under warranty, you should be able to get it repaired no problem. The only reason I would fix this myself is because I can, and if I sent it off to be repaired, my experience has been that oftentimes watches (and other things) that are "repaired" come back after a significant time with other problems that weren't there previously.

In any case, I don't recommend just leaving it, as a movement of that weight without proper mounting could cause you problems later on, especially with the stem (if it is the tap 10 version) or the keyless works. It's unlikely, but I don't know how often you will wear the watch and under what circumstances, or how long you intend to keep it.

-s-

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mine does move, but the watch itself hasn't miss a beat for 2 years, so i'm guessing it's not a big of a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all your replies. I will take it to the service center for repair.
Its interesting though that 99Reza is experiencing the same problem. But, as he said, its not affecting the performance of his watch.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Cliffy,

I work at a highend watch dealer here in Canada and I am also one of the on-site employes who performs watch repairs.

I can tell you with certainty that your authorized dealer is lying to you. It is never normal for the face plate to be moving. It should be secured to the movement. The slight movements and jitters can begin to affect the hands overtime because the edges of the faceplate will begin to put unnecessary stress on the stems that are holding the hands.

I would go back to the dealership and tell them that you spoke to Swatch Group who insisted that this is not normal behaviour. And that it should be addressed.

Hopefully, they will replace the watch, if it has not been too long since purchase. Otherwise, you will be looking at a warranty and repair task. Don't fret if that is the case though, it is a fairly simple fix. It's just that it may take a while if you do not have an authorized repair center in your area. SO try and push for an exchange.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to message me! =)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts