WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have this watch to clean up a little and get going but a little afraid I may twist off a few screws leaving the thread behind. Is there anything one can do to help prevent this? It appears to also be missing the regulator arm or maybe doesn't have one, is not having one a possibility? There's not a lot of info I can find on this movement.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Thuc

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In case anyone was interested.

I managed to free all screws by submerging the whole movement (minus dial) in WD-40 overnight. Threads on some screws were rusty but all came out after some careful/strong twists.
Movement parts spent some hours in lighter fluid after I had gone through with peg wood and a touch of metal polish before final ultrasonic clean.
Screw heads dragged over fine sand paper to remove rust. Dial submerged in warm water with a drop of dish washing liquid, crylstal sanded and polish.

enjoying it today at work.... :)

Cheers,
Thuc

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
I managed to free all screws by submerging the whole movement (minus dial) in WD-40 overnight.
I always wondered how all those stories about movements soaked in WD-40 came about.

Seriously, good find and recovery, glad it came out all right.

BTW, the answer is alum.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah thanks ExpiredWatchdog for the info, I'll remember that for next time. The screw threads are still rusty, will alum remove the rust or should i leave it?

Thanks,
Thuc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts