WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this new watch project was just posted on Kickstarter.

Link: XERISCOPE: The Orbiting Mechanical Automatic Watch by XERIC by Watchismo — Kickstarter

What are your opinions on this? From what i can tell, the stats are:

45mm case
13mm thickness
Lug width 22mm
Stainless steel
(No mention of crystal quality)
Display back
Power reserve at 10 (50hours)
Hour indicator at 2
Minutes indicator at 12
No seconds indicator
5 colour options. Limited to 100 pieces each.
Price: $349 Early bird, $399 Normal selling price.
Movement: "XERISCOPE automatic movement" (I lol'd)

Some pictures:
6237e3f0d05e17cc38da49606e9eea6a_large.jpg ed0e11bc3180d3877956b3c62977ea45_large.jpg c6875cfce0f140bffa444e985532364c_large.jpg d24f5fd018ce920d377738d429cbf5e4_large.jpg 5e911a63e2fbc92a2b46fa4f27496c89_large.jpg 071f37b0226f81b9e586f38c8a3321c9_large.jpg 497f3048a407b8702af6534397242cd3_large.jpg

I've only literally just vested interest in watches as of last week.. and as i regularly check Kickstarter i noticed this. Would love to hear your thoughts on it! I find it quite interesting but it's definitely not my style. With no mention of even crystal quality i am a bit anxious of the quality/trustworthiness of this project.

By the way, if any of you are unfamiliar with Kickstarter, it's basically a platform where creators can make certain projects (usually innovative) and set a funding goal and time period. You contribute to the project as a 'backer' and pledge a certain amount of money at a certain pledge tier with the reward you're happing with. If there is enough interest/demand in their products, and the funding goal is reached within the set time period, the project successfully funds and you essentially pre-order your rewards from your pledge level. If the project is unsuccessful, you do not lose any money.

PS: Sorry about my lack of watch terminology!

·
Registered
287 Posts
It has better styling than the ones I've seen, but yeah, it's a $150 watch at most. I could maybe see $200 if it had some other redeeming features.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Very mushroomy. Not a bad thing in general, it's just that the price doesn't reflect this. This is a Sea-Gull movement though. Let me try and find it, I've seen it before.

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
The more I look at it the less I like it. I pledged just in case but I'm going to drop my pledge (though I planned to drop my pledge regardless). It's clearly not worth the money.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Really looks cheap..

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is from the Watchismo people. I've ordered other watches from them in the past (other brands) and they've been great with customer service. Obviously no guaranty that this watch will be any good, but it might be helpful data to you if your on the fence.

Check out watchismo.com.

I'm not an employee, just a former customer who had a good experience.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Maybe it's just me but reading "GENUINE LEATHER STRAP!!!!" always feels kind of cheap to me. You're selling me a watch for 400$ and take pride in the fact that you use actual leather? SERIOUSLY?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They just announced that it's a K1 Mineral crystal, which is apparently: "more shatter-resistant than sapphire crystal, and more scratch-resistant than regular mineral crystal." -Quoted from Kickstarter page FAQ.

I'm almost tempted to post some way better alternatives in the comments section of the Kickstarter.. however being-a-douche-day was on Monday =(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys,

For around $399, that doesn't seem too bad a price for a chinese automatic tourbillon. Or is not a tourbillon? There's no mention on the site...

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a similar auto tourbillon for a similar or less price with a similar classic designs. I think this one doesn't look too bad, although the finishing, especially on the rotor detracts a bit...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats no where near a tourbillion haha. Its basically an existing chinese movement, with an open heart design so it seems 'special'. Im just as clueless about these things but theres a Chinese watch for around 600$ that is regarded as the cheapest tourby. Its all over on youtube reviews, just search 'cheapest chinese tourbillion'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
38,887 Posts
$399 would be a pretty good price for a tourbillon. This isn't a tourbillon though.

·
Premium Member
38,887 Posts
Millionsmart is probably your best bet for a tourbillon. Just search google for Millionsmart 1801 and you should get plenty of images and reviews.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks guys, just looked at the video and answered it for myself. This one looks pretty fancy though Haha... Which I guess why there's so many backers so far...

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I'm bumping this thread because I want to share my complete and utter flabbergastedness (is that a word?). I like the Watchismo Facebook page and read their updates. I saw some posts about the Xeriscope and found a lot of wrong information about the origin of the movement and the pedigree of the brand. I mentioned the Chinese origin of the movement, the fact that the movement is NOT a tourbillon and that similar brands, like Monte Wehro, produce watches with the same caroussel movement. All my posts have been deleted from their Facebook! I was perfectly polite and respectful... I have no idea what to think of this. :(

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I'm bumping this thread because I want to share my complete and utter flabbergastedness (is that a word?). I like the Watchismo Facebook page and read their updates. I saw some posts about the Xeriscope and found a lot of wrong information about the origin of the movement and the pedigree of the brand. I mentioned the Chinese origin of the movement, the fact that the movement is NOT a tourbillon and that similar brands, like Monte Wehro, produce watches with the same caroussel movement. All my posts have been deleted from their Facebook! I was perfectly polite and respectful... I have no idea what to think of this. :(
Huh.. Thats just wrong..

Sendt fra min HTC One S med Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
They're definitely trying to hide the origin. If people knew the actual details and investigated they'd see how much they're overpaying for the watches. I too tend to enjoy their Facebook posts but blatantly hiding information is disrespectful.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I just went and looked at their facebook page. I couldn't find the hint of a negative comment. That tells you a lot right there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts