WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,439 Posts
Originally a nice pocket or pendant watch, even if "only" a cylindre escapement movement. Adapted for the trenches? The dial is a little gaudy for war purposes so I'm inclined to doubt it. Probably a more recent conversion (1920s?) in order to continue to use it when pocket watches were going out of fashion. Or it was a ladies watch and was passed on to a generation where no ladies could inherit it so it was converted.....

The movement is probably by Fontaienmelon, e.g.:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: FHF 18'''

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
I seriously doubt that watch ever saw either and angry German or even a 'trench'

Its a converted ladies pocket watch.
a

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Probably right.. but for all we know, may have been on the wrist of a General Staff officer who observed the trenches from a distance..
If that watch ever got with 30 miles of a trench, I would be mighty surprised.
But I can not prove it any way.
Its a nice ladies converted watch, worn by a lady.

A

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps..but the watch is a reasonable size on my wrist, larger than my actual trench watch.. so I am not so sure we can judge if worn by a lady or a man at time of conversion, or for that matter that it wasn't originally in a man's waist coat pocket.. as I said at original post, we can never actually know unless we have evidence going back to original owner..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts