WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Yellow Raysman and I Make One Last Trip to Yankee Stadium

1K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  kid-a 
#1 ·
OK. Following up on the conversation some of us had yesterday, here are some pictures of my last journey to the "old" Yankee Stadium. (For those who may not know, the stadium is being replaced with a new one which has been built across the street. The "old" Yankee Stadium -- which opened in 1923 -- will be torn down after the end of this season.)

From my office in midtown Manhattan, the closest subway up to Yankee Stadium is the "D" train at Columbus Circle. So, off I go to Eighth Avenue and one of the many entrances to that large station:

While waiting for the "D" train up to the Stadium, I used the "B" train as background for a wrist shot:

New Yorkers are a pretty jaded bunch. You might have thought that the sight of a guy repeatedly photographing his own wrist would have prompted some comments, but, believe me, people in this City have seen far weirder things:

I took the "D" up to 161st Street and River Avenue in the Bronx -- the stop for Yankee Stadium.

I arrived at 161st and River Avenue:

Exiting the subway station, I walked down River Avenue along the Stadium's right field wall. This is the "bleachers" entrance among other things:

And I walked around the gate where I usually enter. Here's a view of the top of the Stadium from that spot. (That list of years up there indicates years in which the Yankees won the championship. You won't see a sign like this in Boston or anywhere else in the U.S. Fourteen titles are caught in this shot; there are twelve more dates listed outside of the camera frame. The Yankees have won the championship an astonishing twenty-six times. No other baseball team comes anywhere close):

Finally, I enter the Stadium, head toward my seat and start to get a view of the field:

I settled into my seat in the bottom of the first inning; the Yankees were already down a run to the Chicago White Sox.

Here's a wrist shot taken during the bottom of the first:

This is the Yankee right fielder Bobby Abreu, just before he got the first of several hits he was to get that night:

Yankee captain and longtime fan favorite Derek Jeter swings the bat:

By the third inning, the Yankees had taken the lead. They went on to win the game easily:

After six innings, the groundskeepers come out and sweep the infield dirt. It has become a tradition at Yankee Stadium that the groundskeepers lead the crowd in a few bars of "YMCA", the old disco song:

Mike Mussina, the Yankees starting pitcher had a great game. Ultimately, in the 7th inning, the manager walked out to replace him with a relief pitcher. Mussina got a huge ovation from the crowd:

I would have given you a bit more -- maybe the scoreboard after it was all over and the trip home. But I had not planned to bring my camera and the battery gave out after these shots.

Hope you enjoyed!

See less See more
#3 ·
KRONOS...great pics.. and tour of the city/stadium.

I'm sure all Yankee fans, and baseball fans for that matter will miss Yankee Stadium. Historical parks are few and far between anymore.
On the other hand New Yankee Stadium will be wonderful for all to enjoy. So many have told me that although they enjoy the old stadium, it is in bad shape and not fan comfortable.
So great memories and new innovations and comforts for Yankee fan in 2009. Something to look forward to.

#8 ·
THANX!!

This is what makes this forum so valuable! Thanks for taking us to NY, and inside :-!

#11 ·
Thanks for the tour its soo cool to see where other live or in this case visit an icon that is going away:roll: :roll: really like the wrist shot with the field in the background :-! :-!

#13 ·
Kronos, you wore the yellow Raysman. The Yankees won last night, and they also won tonight. The S&P500 index rose more than 4% yesterday, and it also rose more than 4% today. It cannot be luck or coincidence or mere chance. It must be your yellow Raysman. If you do any more to save Gotham, we're going to start calling you Batman. ;-)

Great photos of a great watch and the greatest stadium in the history of sports. Mercifully, you omitted any photos of Alex "Mr. May" Rodriguez. Being a ten-year old Yankees fan in the immortal era of Ron "Louisiana Lightning" Guidry and Reggie "Mr. October" Jackson is simply as good as it gets:

http://www.nydailynews.com/features/thestadium/the_greatest/heroes-jackson.html

The New York Yankees - World Series Champions:

And in 2009...the empire strikes back!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.