WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the yellow star on a grey shield signifies on this Albatros dial?
Thanks for any information. (Also, this is a photo I grabbed off ebay; not my watch & I'm not buying it.)

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Maybe the red faded.
Yup, that's it, alright. It's completely invisible to the naked eye, but after reading your post, I took out my +20 glass and looked again. Sure enough, I could just make out the faintest outline of the hammer & sickle.

Edit: To be clear, I looked at my own watch and saw the hammer & sickle, not the photograph above!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Interesting.....yours is "post Soviet" (as Watch22 points out there is no "Made in USSR"-- Сделано в СССР--). One wonders if the dial is a misprint (since it is missing the hammer & sickle and the Vostok trademark "B") or if this was done intentionally. Either way, the red layer of printing is missing leaving only the ghostly outline of the hammer & sickle. Interesting indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting.....yours is "post Soviet" (as Watch22 points out there is no "Made in USSR"-- Сделано в СССР--). One wonders if the dial is a misprint (since it is missing the hammer & sickle and the Vostok trademark "B") or if this was done intentionally. Either way, the red layer of printing is missing leaving only the ghostly outline of the hammer & sickle. Interesting indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, that isn't mine. I didn't have a camera when I posted so I grabbed an image off eBay and didn't take care to find one from the same era.

Here's mine, a Soviet-era dial in a 470 case. Although it is extremely difficult to see the hammer & sickle with the naked eye, it actually shows up pretty well in this photo. At the bottom of the yellow star, you can see a faint remainder of the red star, and in the center, the hammer & sickle:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Different pigments fade at different rates. Your watch probably has gotten a lot of sun and the red has faded.

I've seen that in Desert Storm watches where the red in the US flag has faded more than other colors.

An example from eBay - the red has faded to yellow.

faded.JPG

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, and I've seen hundreds of USSR-era watches with red stars that have faded to pink, but I don't think I've ever seen red paint fade to the point it becomes transparent on any other dials. Yet, it seems to be quite common on this particular dial - I've seen a lot of these with yellow stars and just thought that was the way they were originally printed.

Now I'll have to look closely at other dials and see if there are any elements that have disappeared!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts