WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
It's not a royal pain at all. It takes me no longer to change a strap 1mm larger than one the exact same size. Again, .5mm on each side is a negligible amount.
In my experience it’s a royal pain. With a strap that fits, it’s easy to slip the tool between the strap and lug. With a strap that’s too large and bunching around the lug, you gotta dig around a little and that can further mess up the strap.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
...you gotta dig around a little...
As someone else mentioned, I think it will depend in part on how rigid the end of the strap is as well as the tolerances the strap was built to (i.e. a 20mm strap sometimes being a tiny bit more or less). Either way, in my experience it has maybe turned a 30 second job into a 45 second, if any difference at all, but not what I would call a PITA. Experiences obviously vary though.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
It's ok if you want to look like a total tool who knows nothing about watches and doesn't care about possibly popping off a spring bar.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
It's ok if you want to look like a total tool who knows nothing about watches and doesn't care about possibly popping off a spring bar.
Give me a break. No one is going to notice you have a 20mm strap on 19mm lugs, and I have never had a spring bar pop off from one. Yes, I'm sure that the ability to figure out you can put a 20mm strap on lugs that are almost but not quite 20mm it an indicator of lack of horological knowledge.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I thought we already know this.
I was kinda hoping that the thread was about fitting a 19mm strap to a 20mm lugs instead.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Give me a break. No one is going to notice you have a 20mm strap on 19mm lugs, and I have never had a spring bar pop off from one. Yes, I'm sure that the ability to figure out you can put a 20mm strap on lugs that are almost but not quite 20mm it an indicator of lack of horological knowledge.
Yes, if you are around watch people, they will notice. Watch people aren't stupid. And yes, it can cause a pop off. Just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. A strap that's to narrow can also cause a spring bar pop off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Some bands work better than other. My Sarb031 with 19mm lugs on a 20mm strap looks fine with certain straps. Thicker leather or stiff nylons don't look good as you can see the tension at the ends.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
You can use very tiny o-rings for that.
Yes, this is what the G-Shock folks do to fit a nato adapter to certain models of G’s that have wider lugs.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yes, if you are around watch people, they will notice. Watch people aren't stupid.
I'm glad you brought this to my attention. So I'll amend my advice- to those concerned that you might run into a "watch person" like Shawny, who isn't stupid and might be quietly honing in on the .5mm extra strap on each side within the lugs of your watch, even from a few feet away, please DO NOT PUT A 20MM STRAP ON A 19MM WATCH!

For those of you who don't frequently hang out with "watch people" like Shawnny, and couldn't care less, then go for it. It really isn't a big deal.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts