WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there folks

The old B1 / X33 debate has lead me off at a tangent to the YES ZULU and COZMO watches. The ZULU is one of the watches in TimeonTarget's collection. He has posted re the watch in the past. I can't help being drawn to them but they are not what you would call traditional pilot's watches by any means!

What does everyone think? I'm on the brink......:)

www.yeswatch.com

·
Registered
661 Posts
I certainly wouldn't trade my X-33 for one of those, but it's an interesting novelty watch for sure.

·
3,628 Posts
If I were going to get another quartz watch it would likely be one of the Yes watches.
I have not seen one in person, but if you're a fan of "Mythbusters" you'll see Adam Savage wearing one on the show (I think that's his name...the one without the huge mustache).
They are a it large for me, but I believe one of the models is avialble in titanium (thought not sure).
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Zulu is a titanium model, but as you say - a bit large at 48mm though the very similar Cozmo comes in at 43mm. An interesting point is that after TimeonTarget's input to the company, the inner dial is now available in true 24 hour format, like the outer rotating 24 hour bezel, giving two 24hour time readouts as with the Glycine Airman.

What I really like is the sunrise and sunset information, together with moon rise, set and phase ( great info for night searches or vessel medevac transfers ), all easily interpreted from the analogue display. A glance at the 24 hour hand and you can see how many hours left of daylight you have + built in alerts for official night etc

It's a pretty impressive tool - albeit in quite a stylised package.

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
I credit the Yes Zulu with being a truly innovative quartz watch, that doesn't use electronics to mimic mechanical watches, but which exploits them for uses (sun-upand -down) that are beyond mechanical watches.

We ned a tactical version though ... beadblasted titanium with drilled-through lugs on a nylon strap. ;-)

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Crusader - yes, that's the problem - a more straightforward utility case, flatter buttons, luminescent instead of 'stone' markers on the bezel and a more functional looking hour hand would all have me rushing for the credit card! I still might go for it as it is, due to the richness of the information it presents - as you say - a really innovative bit of watch design.

·
3,628 Posts
I encourage you to approach the company with these ideas, as they've been receptive to input in the past (as you mentioned).
Who knows what may result?
I agree with your proposed use of the watch. When I was flying unaided EMS in Arizona I bought a G-Shock with sunrise, sunset times, moonrise/moonset times, and stage of the moon displays. Helped me always know what I was getting into.
I'm spoiled today...using NVGs. I'm much more out of touch with nature :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I probably won't get one but they certainly are interesting

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Certainly different! Bit too different for me. Have you looked at Seiko's Prospex Sky Professional? Japanese market only, so it'd be a ebay purchase. Its priced at the same money as the Zulu...

Looks similar to the X-33, coupled with Seiko's own Auto flightmaster bezel style and great bracelet. All titanium, too.

It seems from your post that you might be set on the Yes anyway, but thought I'd throw that one into the mix!

All the best,

Alex;-)

·
Registered
334 Posts
That YES Zulu is really a great pilot's watch...very innovative

I constantly have to look up sunrise/sunset info as so many times I have to arrive on a search as the sun is coming up. It would be great to have that info at the ready instead of looking it up on the internets.

I've recommended it to a few helo pilots at my air station...none have pulled the trigger yet, but we will see.

V

·
0 Posts
Re: That YES Zulu is really a great pilot's watch...very innovative

Well, I don't think there's another product similar enough out there for comparison. This is truly a unique series of watches, though I can't understand why the flagship Zulu must be so humongous.

Haven't seen one in real life so I don't know about the build quality.

IMHO, the cozmo represent better value than the Zulu, which is really too big to be practical.

·
Registered
661 Posts
What I really like is the sunrise and sunset information, together with moon rise, set and phase ( great info for night searches or vessel medevac transfers ), all easily interpreted from the analogue display. A glance at the 24 hour hand and you can see how many hours left of daylight you have + built in alerts for official night etc
Yes, I really like that feature too. But I'm not convinced about the whole package as a tool watch. Very interesting though all the same.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I already mentioned the luminescent markers to them and they were quite receptive to that, saying that it was a good idea and would be considered in future models! Perhaps I should give them this link? Is that against WUS rules?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks fatpants - a serious looking bit of kit, but too busy for my tastes ( I know - coming from a B1 owner! )

Cheers

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
I already mentioned the luminescent markers to them and they were quite receptive to that, saying that it was a good idea and would be considered in future models! Perhaps I should give them this link? Is that against WUS rules?
Please feel free to go ahead. :-!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bjorn, the CEO of YES, sent me the following bit of little known watch / space info:

''Last fall commander Stephen Frick bought a ZULU for himself and a TATI for his wife. On this trip to ISS he wears both. The ZULU keeps track of earth time, while the TATI is showing Mission Elapsed Time continuously, a feature we put in back in 2001 based on recommendation for NASA. Understandably he is barred from any endorsements due to NASA policies, but it is pretty cool that YES made it into space based on merit alone. Yeah!!

Of courser, perfection is an endless pursuit.

Bjorn.''

So there you go, the YES finds its' way to space!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The problem with the Seiko is the lack of a back light feature. This has been a show stopper for me, but I have always liked the looks of this watch.

Martin hit the nail on the head about the need for a tactical ZULU. The watch is still worth having IMHO, but I think a tool version would sell like hotcakes!

·
Registered
334 Posts
TimeOnTarget:
Do you keep your Zulu on a zulu:)-d)? Do you have any pics (I'm sucking at the search function right now, and couldn't find a previous discussion). I'm guessing that it would look pretty sharp on one.

And I will re-iterate what Martin said...it is the innovations that really pique my interest in this watch; it isn't a quartz watch that simply looks like a mechanical watch. Especially the way that sunrise/set and moonrise/set are shown in a very intuitive manner.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts