WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
For less than $500, check out the Seiko SARB line. The Orient on the right though is a beautiful watch, and I certainly think a winner.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Pretty much any Orient automatic will be a very good value, and the Seiko SARB is great too. Personally, I prefer the Orients and, between those two, I'd take the one on the right.

But there are some entry level Swiss automatic offerings you can look at also. I'm not an expert on them, but I think maybe Tissot and Mido, maybe even Hamilton, have some offerings at about $500.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
The WZ0011EV on page 1 is my favourite Orient Star - I love the cream dial, domed crystal and blue hands. I believe it's no longer produced and it's a bit smaller and doesn't hand-wind like the current models, but for $370 I don't think you'd find better value for money in any other watch anywhere, especially with such a nice quality solid link (including end links) bracelet. If you like it, I'd grab it while you still can.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,805 Posts
The Orient on the right would be my choice. Lovely balanced design that sacrifices the day display for a far more interesting power reserve.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
The WZ0011EV on page 1 is my favourite Orient Star - I love the cream dial, domed crystal and blue hands. I believe it's no longer produced and it's a bit smaller and doesn't hand-wind like the current models, but for $370 I don't think you'd find better value for money in any other watch anywhere, especially with such a nice quality solid link (including end links) bracelet. If you like it, I'd grab it while you still can.
It definitely qualifies as an excellent watch for the money. If I hadn't already spent my watch budget down to zero, I'd be looking hard at some of the hacking models. For a while you could get the OS GMT model with the hacking movement for under $500 from OrientWatchUSA, but not any more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a Tissot Le Locle. It's ridiculously gorgeous. Can be had for under $500. But beware fakes if looking on ebay etc. The other really great option is the Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic. Fantastic watch by all accounts. Can currently be had on Amazon for $409. My next watch. Then there's the Mido Baroncelli. Have seen that listed for just under $500. All automatics. The Le Locle and the Viewmatic are both available with a black dial too.

Here's a good thread with some pics of the Le Locle:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/hamilton-jazzmaster-viewmatic-vs-tissot-le-locle-399364.html

Reactions: wuyeah

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I just bought a Tissot Le Locle. It's ridiculously gorgeous. Can be had for under $500. But beware fakes if looking on ebay etc. The other really great option is the Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic. Fantastic watch by all accounts. Can currently be had on Amazon for $409. My next watch. Then there's the Mido Baroncelli. Have seen that listed for just under $500. All automatics. The Le Locle and the Viewmatic are both available with a black dial too.

Here's a good thread with some pics of the Le Locle:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/hamilton-jazzmaster-viewmatic-vs-tissot-le-locle-399364.html

The Tonneau Baroncelli is a very sophisticated piece. I've thought about it getting it a couple of times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts