WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm a relative newcomer when it comes to fine watches. But as a long-time Omega enthusiast (and user) I am currently pondering a new time piece. I am the very happy owner of a 1998-vintage Dynamic (non-chrono); it has been my all-day everyday watch since I purchased it back in 98. Only time its been off my arm is during showers, and I'm simply amazed as to the quality of this watch.

I am currently considering a Seamaster automatic (luv the mechanics...), but while cheking out a pair of SMP 300m at the AD, I caugth site of the Planet Ocean and it was luv at first sight I'm afraid - LOL.

So I guess the question is, are there any things I should be concerned about regarding this watch? The PO in question is the 2201.51.00 (42 mm, black bezel, red 12,6,9 numerals, steel braclet). I am considering a deal at an AD in Ottawa (I'm on travel), and am unsure as to how Canadian prices compare to US prices (thru AD's that is).

regards
Thor

·
Registered
45 Posts
The PO is a fantastic watch, and there´s no risk buying one. If you are at the AD, also put on the 45,5 mm version. May look great, too ;-)

Congrats in advance,
Chris

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Don't know about prices but what I can tell you is that the watch is rock solid and the movement is an evolution of the Cal. 1109 in your Dynamic: the Cal. 2500.

Pretty well every significant area of the movement has been upgraded and so you will get a really gratifying 'more of the same' experience. Not only that, but you will be able to wear it in the shower too (not that you couldn't with the Dynamic...

All in all, good call.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, thank you all so much for the quick response!

I did actually give the 45mm PO a test drive on my arm, but I found that with my somewhat skinny wrists the 42 seemed a better fit to my eye. One strange thing I did notice, is that the 42mm PO actually appears a bit smaller than the (41mm?) SMP 300m. Maybe its just me..

Good point about the shower-wearing, I was actually never able to figure out what type of water resistance the Dynamic has, so I was thinking better safe than sorry. Hopefully that PO can handle the occasional shower!

I have pretty much talked myself into the PO from the dealer here in Ottawa, just trying to work up some good excuses for when I get home with it - LOL!

Just a quick follow-up Q about the warrenty; I am actually from Norway, are there any potential issues with the international warrenty when purchased from an AD in another country?

Thanks again!

Thor

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the words 'international warranty' do what they say. Check with the dealer though. I have always treated my Dynamic as having 100M WR. I have certainly gone swimming with it on. However, I would have the seals checked before doing so after ten years.

Frankly, if you are buying a watch every ten years I would say that you don't need to make too many excuses. Those of us with a slightly more regular habit are the ones who should get the stick!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
M4tt, thank you so much for the info - great to know that the Dynamic can handle some moisture. It is very much overdue for a tune-up at the shop; the last year or so it has started to slow as soon as I take it off my wrist for more than 5 minutes. But hey, after almost 11 years of constant use I'd say its earned a little TLC.

Frankly, if you are buying a watch every ten years I would say that you don't need to make too many excuses. Those of us with a slightly more regular habit are the ones who should get the stick!
LOL - I might just just quote you on this when I get home to the missus. :-d

Thor

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Don't worry about the warranty. I bought my watch in the US and got it serviced under warranty in the UK

The PO is a great watch - Don't think twice

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ferrari, Ozz thank you guys so much for the input. Ozz, that was a fantastic story - wish all reviews where written like that!

Well gents, as of 08:05PM Ottawa time I officially joined the esteemed Seamaster club! Needless to say I'm somewhat giddy at the moment, but as soon as I can tear myself from the watch I'll try to provide some inital impressions and some of those all important shots (if thats OK with ya'll).

Thank you all so much for pushing me over that edge :-!

Thor

·
Registered
555 Posts
are there any potential issues with the international warrenty when purchased from an AD in another country?
No. should not be. I do not have personal experience with that but its one of the things omega uses as a selling point. I have bought two of mine abroad and always assumed warranty is global. As they say it is.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After a phonecall to my AD back in Norway, they did indeed verify that the warrenty would be honored as long as it was purchased at an AD.
Thanks again for the help guys, still can't keep my eyes of this beauty. (note to self: try not to stare at watch while pouring hot coffee. *ouch* :-d)

Thor

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Congrats mate

Very nice. I have had my PO for 2 years and have never regretted getting it for a minute. Still findmyself staring at it

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Ferrari, its great to know that most owners seem to feel like you about their purchase. Truth be told I have rarely felt so good after a "big" purchase as I have after this one. Does seem like I have a lot of watch-staring to look forward to though :-d

Thor

1 - 16 of 16 Posts