WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a listing somewhere of total mCi output of various Ball watches?

I gather that both T-25 and T/T-100 are maximums for a regulatory agency rather than an approximation of output for use by a consumer.

Watch descriptions already include the number of tubes - adding total output would let the curious among us take a reasoned guess as to "output per tube". This would be particularly handy in the T models as these can be anywhere from 26 to 99 mCi for the entire timepiece.

By the way, all this was brought on by the individual monster tubes in the Aviator - it doesn't even need to be especially dark and there's no need to wait while one's eyes adjust. I was pleasantly flabbergasted.

Is the Spacemaster X-lume as legible as the Aviator? It has a bunch more tubes but is dealing with the same total output restrictions.

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
No. We have tried but this was not available to us from Ball. The only statement on content was at the launch of the Spacemaster X-Lume which Ball stated that it came the closest to the 100mci limit.

Everything else would just be opinion. I would suggest looking at the lume contest (Segment 1 stickied at the top of this forum) of the Ball-Athon. Here are 36 ball watches all shot at the same time, same exposure so all are equal. Unfortunately there is a standard Spacemaster and not a X-Lume, but pretty much everything else is represented.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Many thanks.

I'd already found where the Spacemaster was close to the limit but even there "how close" is something of a mystery. I rather expected there would be some sort of confidentiality ("it's none of your business") surrounding the issue though, to be honest, I cannot offer a guess as to why it's a state secret. It's just not surprising that it is.

So much for the whining, I'm over it.

Second question:

Will the EHC Spacemaster XLume be issued this year in a new model which omits the diver bezel?

I love everything about that thing except for the bezel.

Now, upcoming models, right there I can understand secrecy but one can hope, n'cest pas?

It should by now be obvious that Ball has turned me into a Tritium junky - Worse things have happened.

And thanks for any early guidance that might help me with my next selection.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
No plans currently for a Spacemaster w/out a bezel. Maybe we will see a higher MCI Magnate but I have no news. I too like Michael like the idea of an mci chart but alas it doesn't exist. Would be a great tool

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The Magnate is another that I would like to be in the rotation.

As far as the mCi chart goes I rather expected it to be something of a trade secret.

However, I was hoping that my absolute and total failure to conjecture what harm it would cause if released gave me some minor hope.

I still can't cipher any plausible reason why it would do more harm than good to sales figures or anything else.

Furthermore, one local AD is sufficiently confused over the issue he (more accurately, one of his employees) misrepresented an E2 40mm Arabic as "full t-100". There's another AD with a much better grasp of the issue who I'm now intending to patronize though the difference in distance sucks.

If corporate keeps it a mystery, I speculate we've no right to expect the ADs to sort the issue out either.

I simply don't get the "ignorance is preferable" attitude toward the ADs. But I'm sure they have their reasons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts