WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can't called any buying hobby a "COLLECTION" if you have less than 3 of the same kind. Agree?

In Your Honest Opinion, You can't call a good G-Shock COLLECTION if you don't have....XXXX (model) in hand. b-)

I'll start first. You gotta have one Non-Blue/Green illum G-Shock:

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I'd say, even though I have neither, a classic dw5600 and a frogman. Those are the two that say 'g-shock' to me. I've a gw5600bcj, which is close enough for me. Hmm, maybe a mudman, too.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'd have to say a G with metal/resin or all metal. Oh and add to that a G-bible for reference:-!

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everytime I go phamacy I found myself often debat to get this one or not....that $20...

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
i have to go with the DW-6900, because its widely available, big and chunky, many models to choose from, basic but useful functions, and the standard models can be had for very little money..

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
This kind of goes back to that "which models are classics/icons" thread. For me, and the little G experience I have, I'd say a 5600, 6600, 6900, and 9000 are some of the models that exemplify G for me. They say "G-Shock" to me and are some of the more affordable tough ones out there, which in my mind, is what makes a G a G.

·
Registered
765 Posts
In that case, I am short of a collection for my Frogman (1), Mudman (2), DW5600 (1) and DW6600 (1) :-(

You can't called any buying hobby a "COLLECTION" if you have less than 3 of the same kind. Agree?

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Oh, for the main question, how can you quantify a requisite for a collection? What of comic books with vast issues? Would 3 be sufficient out of a comic that has produced hundreds of issues? Probably not... Collecting to me is more subjective and is only quantifiable by the collector IMO. I collect watches, I also am an enthusiast, if I sell a few does this change my status as either, IMO, No. A collector is someone who identifies themselves as such, there are people with 3 of the same shirt in different colors (my wife) but by no means would she say she is a collector of that type of shirt. I'm not jumping down your throat, as I see my post may come off as aggressive, it isn't, just sharing my 2 cents, or with the falling dollar, 3 cents...

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Oh, for the main question, how can you quantify a requisite for a collection? What of comic books with vast issues? Would 3 be sufficient out of a comic that has produced hundreds of issues? Probably not... Collecting to me is more subjective and is only quantifiable by the collector IMO. I collect watches, I also am an enthusiast, if I sell a few does this change my status as either, IMO, No. A collector is someone who identifies themselves as such, there are people with 3 of the same shirt in different colors (my wife) but by no means would she say she is a collector of that type of shirt. I'm not jumping down your throat, as I see my post may come off as aggressive, it isn't, just sharing my 2 cents, or with the falling dollar, 3 cents...
I agree...and why would you really want to be seen as a 'collector' anyway? What does it mean? Nothing to me except perhaps that may be someone is compulsively acquiring things that they don't really need in an effort to attain an exclusive collection of some stuff. :think:

I enjoy my two G's...I don't feel a need to qualify for collection status.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
This kind of goes back to that "which models are classics/icons" thread. For me, and the little G experience I have, I'd say a 5600, 6600, 6900, and 9000 are some of the models that exemplify G for me. They say "G-Shock" to me and are some of the more affordable tough ones out there, which in my mind, is what makes a G a G.
FWIW, you'd better use the full model number as, for example, there are G/GW-9000 (current Mudmans) as well as DW-9000 (something completely different) out there.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Well the beauty of G shocks are that there is a wide variety and they should be a series to suit almost everyone. Buying what you like and need, and would wear should be your own personal collection.

Now if you like a particular series of watches and you got all of them (already some feel that is a problem or bad enough), but exclude others because you don't like them even if they are the most popular watches, that is fine.

But if you are going to buy every available Casio watch that comes out because you want to collecte them.... to quote from someone "you will be the customer that every marketing manager's dream is made off"

·
Registered
545 Posts

In Your Honest Opinion, You can't call a good G-Shock COLLECTION if you don't have....XXXX (model) in hand. b-)

I'll start first. You gotta have one Non-Blue/Green illum G-Shock:

Well if that is 'THE' criteria for having a collection then I don't have a one :roll: Even though I have two groups of 3, though technically they aren't the same as they have different model numbers. Guess I will have to buy another MUDMAN, but even those will differ in model designations.

Unlike muxinick I don't particularly care how this sounds other than to say do a little more reading and stop posting polls and then you will see what actually constitutes a collection or obsession

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
True, I guess that shows my ignorance when it comes to the world of G's. I need to learn the model numbers and the letter designations. But like Mark says as well, and looking at his picture, he has a load of G's but wouldn't qualify under that rule of "collecting", instead why do we need a definition at all, just seems slightly arbitrary to me? I figure it is safe to say that many people on this forum are a little more into watches than your normal Joe and having a definition would only serve as a way to make someones collection better than another's IMO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts