WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do.

I wear a Seiko 5 with a cracked crystal on a osyter band.

It took like an hour to get the band on too.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Get it fixed. Moisture will make a mess of the dial and hands, and will rot the lume.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but the cost and labor will probably cost more then the watch is worth.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
If I notice moisture I dry it out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used to...once I accidentally left the crown unscrewed on my Citizen ECODrive and it got submerged. I didn't notice until a few days later when I saw the condensation that it happened. Funny thing is that the watch worked just fine after submersion and has worked great since then (about 5 years ago). Took it to a watch shop and they disassembled and dried it for me...then gave me a lecture* on screwing in the crown :-| !!!

*(It was a great old Chinese man...he kept asking me "You never own Rolex? You never own Rolex? How come you no know about crown?...the incident has since become an inside joke between my wife and I, as she went with me and watched this old man lecturing me, but at least I make sure the crown is screwed in all the time now. ;-) )

·
Registered
282 Posts
My very first watch, when I was a little kid, was a Timex that you wind. One day, we all went swimming at the Y where we always did. I jumped in the pool and started swimming under water. When I came up for air, my brother was yelling my name and laughing "Your watch is on!" I got out of the pool and took it off. Did I mention that it was not even water resistant. Well, the watch was ruined. Ever since, I have been obsessed with water resistence on my watches and have never owned a watch that you couldn't swim with.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is my second Seiko that has a hair-line crack in the crystal.

What's funny is, before the crystal cracked on my Seiko 5.

There was moisture in the watch, and the small crack in the crystal actually helped vent the moisture from my body heat.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
do you have very cold, strong winters in india?
regards, holger
I have taken my watches in snow while out of India and have taken hot and cold showers with almost all of my g-shocks.

may be weather was not cold enough to moisture my watches lucky me :-d

end of this month i am traveling to north part of India and will face some snow , lets see how Made in Thailand watch react.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Almost all of my G-shocks are Made in Thiland and i have never faced this issue.
Same here, and I have worn them in consistently sub-zero temperatures in Poland.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well the only time i faced moisture condensation in my watch was when i soaked my Mudman in hot water for 5 minutes then scrubbed it in cold water. However i did leave it to dry in the Sun for 15 minutes. It's dry and clean now. Working fine... Would never try to wear a water logged watch for long.

·
Registered
336 Posts
+1

unfortunately on a lot of thailand g-shock's this is a common thing :-(

regards, holger
I've never had this problem with my G Shocks manufactured in Thailand. I wear them in all kinds of weather conditions from sub-freezing extremely cold conditions in the winter to extremely hot conditions in the summer. Hot and humid to freezing cold. No problem.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
the problem occurs when i get from warm out in the cold, mostly when the windchill is hitting my wrist when riding my bike. it was most noticeable this winter with temperatures down to -18° celsius. it doesn't stay very long however, on most watches the fogging will disappear after 5-10 minutes, still i find this annoying. whenever one of my watches show moisture i get rid of it (the moisture not the watch ;-) ) as soon as weather allows (lowest possible humidity). after proper treatment it will usually never occur again or only very weak.

regards, holger

·
Banned
300 Posts
My very first watch, when I was a little kid, was a Timex that you wind. One day, we all went swimming at the Y where we always did. I jumped in the pool and started swimming under water. When I came up for air, my brother was yelling my name and laughing "Your watch is on!" I got out of the pool and took it off. Did I mention that it was not even water resistant. Well, the watch was ruined. Ever since, I have been obsessed with water resistence on my watches and have never owned a watch that you couldn't swim with.

I've had watches since I was a kid as well. I think mine was a relic. I jumped in and BOOM water was under the crystal.

·
Registered
423 Posts
the problem occurs when i get from warm out in the cold, mostly when the windchill is hitting my wrist when riding my bike. it was most noticeable this winter with temperatures down to -18° celsius. it doesn't stay very long however, on most watches the fogging will disappear after 5-10 minutes, still i find this annoying. whenever one of my watches show moisture i get rid of it (the moisture not the watch ;-) ) as soon as weather allows (lowest possible humidity). after proper treatment it will usually never occur again or only very weak.

regards, holger
Exact same issue here with condensation. Some of my G-s (some new Thai made ones) will show a little condensation on the face when going from a warm house and getting out on the bike in colder weather. The key is having a warm watch which is suddenly exposed to cold air. The wind chill factor on the bike probably cools the watch face quicker than it might be cooled if just heading out for a walk.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been wearing the watch face on the inside of the wrist like a bracelet, because I like the band.

I've always liked oyster bands.

I guess one of the pros of having a watch all beat up.

I probably wouldn't wear it like that if the was still in good shape so I wouldn't mess up the crystal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts