WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

And just secured an all black 6900 to go with these...

What kills me is that I have this obsession with finding these tough "adventure" watches... You know, Kobold, Sinn, Rolex, Breitling, And to a lesser extent, Suunto, Citizen, Seiko...

Dont get me wrong, those are awesome watches.. but sometimes Im amazed at how tough these simple G's are. Always there... always ready... Always willing...

(ok, granted the Jammin 6900 are not so subtle... lol... thats why I NEED an all black one!) lol

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have owned several G-Shock's throughout the years and they have never failed me. I also own a couple higher end watches by brands like Breitling and Panerai. Needless to say my Panerai Pam 111 is in the shop right now having a new movement put in it. I have only worn the watch a couple dozen times. My Breitling has been great but I also baby it. I have never worn it Mountain Biking, Snowboarding etc.. But I'm sure it would crap out if I did.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I agree, before I joined this forum, my toys were the Seiko, Citizen divers, and to a lesser extent, swiss watches back in 2005.

My first G-Shock was in 1997, the olive inverse mudman bought in Oct this year started me on this road and I haven't looked back since.

They are excellent value and I highly recommend G-Shocks to my colleagues and friends too.

Being a watch fan, sometimes I have to go the whole marathon to really appreciate the shorter sprints......or something like that....LOL

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,572 Posts
Hi Jeff,

I think if I had not bought a G-Shock when my watch broke in 2000 I never got ito the G madness and ended up with another cheap water resist digital until the battery runs out or the srtap snaps every 2 - 3 years.

I completely agree with you. You get a lot of tough watch for the buck. Did you notice you bought a 6600 and not a 6900:-d

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,572 Posts
Hi,

Yep I prefer the older models to. I played around with a light box a friend Johan made this weekend and took some pics.

Pieter
Hi Pieter,

Great pictures. Maybe you should try a little longer exposure and smaller aperture. I love your Enduro Gaussman.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
The classics do have their appeal. I'm particularly fond of the 5600 and 6600. I have to admit that I'm enjoying some of the more modern Gs lately, particularly my GW-600. It's gotten to the point where if I could only have one watch, that would be it. Having said that, my first Protrek is on the way so my fav might have some competition. :)

Most of you know, I've been through a shed load of high end watches. Once I started to sell them, I realized that the main purpose they were serving was to feed my ego. I never even worked in an environment where anyone else cared what watch I wore, so I didn't have that excuse. I am interested in their history and appreciate the quality, but I can no longer justify spending that kind of money on wrist jewelry.

I think about the only thing that keeps the likes of Rolex, Kobold, etc in the category of "adventure watch" is marketing. Just look on the wrist of most climbers and other explorer types (outside of marketing ads). I bet you won't find many high end watches. It just doesn't make any sense. It did in the 50's and 60's, but not anymore. There are just too many alternatives that are tougher (or more expendable), and provide loads more useful information.

I'll be sticking with Casio, Suunto, Seiko, Citizen and the like from now on.
Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
560 Posts
hi Sjors,

Thanks for the tip. I have also re-read your article on taking pics. We used a 'closed' case wrapped in cloth, but it looks like the open case is better. I also need to get a clear watch stand as the prestik we used cannot hold the heavier G's up :)

I have lots of time the next week to experiment and will probably post more pics.

Cheers,

Pieter

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Orginal muddie... still original... still one of the best! :-!

As for the Bruce's comment... he's 100% on the mark. Except of course I'd pick a different G... my current all around fav is solar powered gulfman but with frog and 5600 on the way that can change... :-!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Orginal muddie... still original... still one of the best! :-!

As for the Bruce's comment... he's 100% on the mark. Except of course I'd pick a different G... my current all around fav is solar powered gulfman but with frog and 5600 on the way that can change... :-!
Thanks duke4c!:-!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts