WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

4k or multiple

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you all do?

I'm looking at some pieces in the 4-5k range. However I love to collect and wear as many different timepieces as possible.

There's a lot of value in the 1k range I was thinking 4 or 5 in that range or just go for the goods at 4-5k with one piece.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Quality over quantity every time.
So when are you going to sell all your watches and buy just one with the proceeds? Quality over quantity...

What would you all do?

I'm looking at some pieces in the 4-5k range. However I love to collect and wear as many different timepieces as possible.

There's a lot of value in the 1k range I was thinking 4 or 5 in that range or just go for the goods at 4-5k with one piece.
I'd buy two watches for ~2k each. In fact, that'd what I did.

For me the peak of value-for-money is between 1.5k and 3k. So that's where I draw the line of quantity vs quality.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
One great watch for 4K or Under

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
So when are you going to sell all your watches and buy just one with the proceeds? Quality over quantity...
I have a grand total of 2 watches in my current collection (and I've owned a grand total of 3 in my life if I count the Timex Expedition I had as a kid).

I don't think having 2 watches runs afoul of the premise of "quality over quantity" when the OP is asking would you rather buy 1 watch for $5k or 5 watches for $1k each. Is that what you're trying to imply?

I bought a $5k watch instead of buying 5 separate $1k watches. And then when I wanted to add something different, I bought a second $5k watch instead of buying 5 separate $1k watches. That's quality over quantity having 2 watches instead of 10.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have a grand total of 2 watches in my current collection (and I've owned a grand total of 3 in my life if I count the Timex Expedition I had as a kid).

I don't think having 2 watches runs afoul of the premise of "quality over quantity" when the OP is asking would you rather buy 1 watch for $5k or 5 watches for $1k each. Is that what you're trying to imply?

I bought a $5k watch instead of buying 5 separate $1k watches. And then when I wanted to add something different, I bought a second $5k watch instead of buying 5 separate $1k watches. That's quality over quantity having 2 watches instead of 10.
And here endeth the lesson 👍

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
However I love to collect and wear as many different timepieces as possible.
That's key. It's what works for YOU.

Personally I'd do the 1 watch because at around $4000 you are getting into some seriously interesting watches (to me at least) that I would be happy with as an only watch. Omega Speedy Pro (preowned), Seamaster, BB58, BB GMT, even some Grand Seikos. Bump the budget to 5k and all these are comfortably within reach, mostly brand new.

Once you start splitting that budget into 3-4 watches, the options are much less interesting (again, to me personally) than that 1 watch I can get for the entire budget.

That being said, of course you can put together a nice "complete" collection with $4000. GADA, Diver, Chrono- Tissot Gentleman or Longines Conquest, Seiko SPB143, Hamilton Intra-Matic Chrono. I think that comes in under budget. I could probably be happy with such a collection. But personally, I'd rather have 1 of the closer to $4000 watches listed above.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Starting with how many watches already in rotation?

If it's only a few, I'd pick a couple more. I love variety.
If you already have 20+, I'd go with only one higher quality piece.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
For me I’d buy one at $5000. The refinements at 4000+ vs >2000 is noticeable to me visually and tacitly. I think you’ll be happier with one great quality over more lesser quality choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
What do you like from 4-5k range? Maybe there is a piece close to it for around $2k so that you can have couple more around $1k.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Get 4 of different styles and try them, experience them, enjoy them, then sell them if you don´t like them and upgrade the one style you like with the money. Just be wise on not overpaying and/or buy second hand. If you like to wear different watches is probably the best way, you try, you experience and you upgrade. If you just buy the high end one and then you don´t like it it can be a more costly mistake, with 4 different you can make 1 mistake, but probably not 4!

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
My answer varies based on the point I am at. Right now I would either buy the Reverso Squadra I the WUS sales section or a pre-owned Montblanc Rieussec. A reverse and the MB are two on my hit list.

Were they not available I would go for a Halios Fairwind, NTH (to give the snowflake hand a test drive), Longines master collection bi-compax, and probably straps with the remaining funds

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

I'm not implying anything, I'm explicitly saying that once you've reached the point where the quality suits you, as you did with Rolex and Omega, you start going for quantity instead. Nothing wrong with that. But it's not always quality over quantity, otherwise you'd have a ALS and I'd have an Omega.

Imagine if another person finds their optimal quality level at 1k. Then they'll start to add more watches instead of replacing it with another more expensive. This can be valid to whatever price level you can come up with. For someone who started with a digital Casio a 500usd Hamilton might be their Rolex.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I went one better and bought a NOS watch that originally cost $8400 for $1800. However, the next one on my wish list is going to be more like $6k, but I'm willing to wait a while before buying it rather than buy a few other $1500-$2000 watches that I like instead.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts