WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

4k or multiple

101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Voted for one.

In detail, push the budget for a favorite just under 4k. Maybe it costs 3800, maybe only 3200, but prioritize personal liking and make sure the main reason of purchase isn't "it's the closest one to 4k".

After that, see if you can pick up a second one with the remaining funds.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
What would you all do?

I'm looking at some pieces in the 4-5k range. However I love to collect and wear as many different timepieces as possible.

There's a lot of value in the 1k range I was thinking 4 or 5 in that range or just go for the goods at 4-5k with one piece.
I think $4k is to much for a watch, and three or four would be about right

·
Registered
29,680 Posts
Less is more.

I would deviate slightly and get one for $3900 and a beater for $100 for all those rough times.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
One or two max. Don’t spend it on lots of cheaper watches. Get that one watch you really desire out of the way first.

Reactions: Buschyfor3

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
1 Quality watch with unlimited straps.

Reactions: cykrops

·
Registered
41 Posts
voted for multiple, but just because I'd go for two - a nicer 3,5k one and a beater/everyday.

This is actually pretty much where I'm at in my collecting journey - I moved a few mid-tiers recently and landed an 8500 AT Golf.
The only thing that survived the purge is my old faithful quartz Tuna (SBBN037). It's built like a tank, it has killer lume, it's fun, it's grab and go and reliable being quartz.
I feel I've got most needs and bases covered that way. And that makes me happy at this moment in time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I guess I am in the minority here but I feel like a can get a ton of quality and enjoyment in affordable watches and I have done that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd look beyond the trodden path and find a way to get the most for my buck. What do I need and want from a watch? I need it to work for me every single day, so it has to have for example lume, it has to be mechical auto because I'm not gonna hand wind my watch daily. I like my watch to be dripping with tech and I want it to be serviceable.

So. one great watch of 4k? No. If something happens to that one I'm screwed so I opt to go with more than 1 watch. So what would I get?

The Damasko DK32 or the Laco Saarbrücken are contenders for what I'd get as my time-only watch. The DK32 has an inhouse movement that's an obvious improvement over the ETA2824 they used to have before, but the Laco is amazing in its own right. 1600 down, 2400 to go.

The Damasko DC82 fits the bill. A bit over budget but I think I could squeeze it.

Damasko gets my 'vote' but in general, better two have two great watches that offer a LOT of bang for the buck than 1 amazing or 4 mediocre watches. Or.... find some great pieces second hand. I got my Oris Pro Diver Chrono for 2200EUR instead of its list price of close to 5 grand but in near-mint conditino. Sometimes you're lucky.

·
Registered
Seiko, Orient, Aragon, Deep Blue, Bulova, Swatch, Gruen Pocket Watch, Illinois Pocket Watch, Vostok
2,708 Posts
I’d buy two or three awesome watches and enjoy each one for their differences.

Sent from my toilet using Kakatalk. Flushed with only a single wipe.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Have you identified that $4k watch you want real bad or do you have the cash and are looking to buy?

if you know the watch you want, go with one. If not and you are considering several, just get one and go from there. No reason to buy 4 watches just to buy 4 watches.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would buy a modern Tudor, and call it a day.
I tried that route. They are very conservative watches (much like sibling Rolex), and ultimately were not my style. They look great on Instagram (and here), but in person they are kinda plain.

Instead of a Tudor BB36 (or explorer), I found some cool German watches (Archimedes, Damasko, Sinn) that have amazing build quality that I like more than say the explorer look
Instead of a Blackbay (or sub), I found Oris with some wonderful colors and dial combinations. Currently I have a $299 bronze/teal Zelos that is getting a lot of wrist time, because its just fun!
Instead of something like an oyster date (or GMT), I found Grand Seiko - with better build quality, fascinating dials, and better accuracy.

If you want a conservative watch with a legacy and good resale (and lots of marketing), by all means, get a legacy brand.

Personally, I have learned a lot and had a lot of fun digging into the hobby rather than just going to the Tudor/Rolex counter at the mall. Honestly, except for the BB58, I didn't bond with any of the tudor or rolex models I tried on - even though I wanted to.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Most people would go for quality over quantity, but I think there's a lot of embedded value in the sub-$4k range - plenty of manufacturers offer premium movements and finishing in this range. Rather than buy one watch for $3,950 and something garbage for $50, I'd get one for $3,000 - after discount you should be able to get a Black Bay, Oris cal. 400, or Breitling SuperOcean Heritage - and something offbeat, like a Seiko diver, a vintage Longines or a high-accuracy quartz. Not just something plastic to scratch in the yard.

An alternative would be a quartz GS and a Longines tuxedo. Both together can be had for four grand.

·
Premium Member
70,251 Posts
I’m not short of watches so I’d probably blow the lot on just one watch. A nice GS comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Option 1: One GADA watch. Have options for bracelet and strap options. Then you can add your collection around this piece. This is a safe choice because your taste in watches will 100% change throughout time. Omega AT is a safe choice.

Option 2: One GADA watch with one beater watch.

Option 3: 3 watch collection: 1 daily, 1 dress, 1 tool
If it’s your first time collecting watches, you will want to try diff watches to see what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 155 Posts