WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

4k or multiple

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'd buy 2-3. Definitely some great ones in the 1k-1.5k range I'd love! Likely because that's my current next range to strive for and lots of research in the area.

·
Premium Member
13,333 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Woah! You have issues 'Watch Ho' :LOL:

Serious question - What kind of rotation strategy do you follow for that big of a collection?
I wear all of them in my rotation. I have a simple system that allows me to know which ones I have not worn yet and I pick from that group until they have all been worn one day.
Then repeat. I am at the top of my rotation so I have like 130 watches to pick from right now. It only takes me a few seconds and I pick them the night before.
Yes I for sure have a problem!
I have a 7 car rotation as well. Can you help me? Is there any hope? :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Disclaimer: I'm a owner of a Rolex President for 30 years. That was my collection for a few years. For years I've had upper limits of 2/3 thousand for a watch. I have many watches I like in that category but I do have some less expensive watches that I also like a lot, Iike my Seiko divers that aren't close to my limits. So today I would say I'd buy a few in the $1000/1500 area. maybe ;>)

·
Registered
313 Posts
or in the US, I would buy this (GS spring drive) as a dressy watch: FS Grand Seiko SBGA211 * Snowflake *

or r one of the sportier GS quartz (GMT or 3 hand shown above) for close to half that used:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchexchange/comments/mwauh4
Actually, I should say I did, rather than I would... ;-)

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I wear all of them in my rotation. I have a simple system that allows me to know which ones I have not worn yet and I pick from that group until they have all been worn one day.
Then repeat. I am at the top of my rotation so I have like 130 watches to pick from right now. It only takes me a few seconds and I pick them the night before.
Yes I for sure have a problem!
I have a 7 car rotation as well. Can you help me? Is there any hope? :)
You’re doing it right. It makes you happy or you’d do it differently. 👍

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd rather have two $2k watches that one $4k watch or four $1k watches. Or a $1k and a $3k. Two watches give you choice without burying you in it.

I also think the $1k - $3k price range is underrated. It gets you access to some cheaper in house movements (or modified standard movements), automatic chronographs, fancy HAQs from Seiko and Citizen, and used luxury brand watches. $5k - $10k gives you access to some lovely watches from luxury brands, but from a quality and functionality perspective, you're doing good at $3k and below.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Good point. There are great watches around $1k+. Above 3K you start to get into name brand, in house movements, luxury. If that is what you want, you know it. If not, there are some great ETA based (or similar) watches way under 4k.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What would you all do?

I'm looking at some pieces in the 4-5k range. However I love to collect and wear as many different timepieces as possible.

There's a lot of value in the 1k range I was thinking 4 or 5 in that range or just go for the goods at 4-5k with one piece.
[/QUOTE

So just my opinion, I have been collecting for two years. I have two £5k watches and another 9 that are between £600 and £1,500

So you buy a nice watch, and then you are hooked, you want more and you want more now..... you want to go to the shop and get that feeling or you want to buy one online and be excited waiting on the courier knocking at the door. You are addicted to watches hahaha

Now I wish I had listened and now had a four watch collection. It has nothing to do with wanting more expensive watches but now I think that a four watch collection is the sweet spot.

But don't listen to me, I have 11 watches and I am really trying not to buy one of the new Cw that have come out today. I am also saving up for a GS Snowflake that I will buy next year.

However you should def buy a £4k watch and not 4 £1k watches. You will always be able to save for a £1k watch but will take much longer to save for a £4k watch and by the time you get too £4k, you might have other commitments.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
I'm starting to slowly see that there isn't a huge difference between $1500 and $3500. I feel the quality is comparable. When you get into the 4-6 range you have a palette of tags breitlings and omegas. Then 7 and up you start to see familiar high end brands with their modest offerings.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I do not. I have a system that easily tells me what I have worn and what needs to be worn while they are all in watch boxes.
I was hoping yes because I'd love to know what they all are!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I was hoping yes because I'd love to know what they all are!
Ah, well they are a bunch of cheapos or super affordables that I love wearing. $20 to $600 range. You can go to the photography section in the forum and look under "longest wrist check" and see all of them close up if you want. I post there almost every day.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Unfortunately $4k is not what it used to be, so I would get 1 instead of a few. Now if you would of said $40k then it would be a different story as I have a few models in mind(LOL).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Why split the 4000 in 3500+500 or 3000+1000? Why not 2000+2000? You can get amazingly awesome timepieces for 2 grand that leave you to want for nothing, whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
The watches I start to really like and are at the top of my personal want list are in that $4k price range (ie. Tudor Pelagos, Omega Planet Ocean, GS Spring Drive GMT), so if the watch you REALLY want is at that price range there is no way I would settle for multiple cheaper watches.

I MIGHT want like a "beater" or daily watch or dare I say Apple Watch to go with it, but I'm talking something in the less than $500 range. I would hope could save for that one pretty easily in the future. Or just shop around and get a deal on the main watch and hopefully save a little for the beater piece.

121 - 140 of 155 Posts