WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

4k or multiple

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Personally, I think the hype and perceived value of “high-end” watches, particularly in that range (2-10k), is largely overblown. For me most of them add almost no real value over well-made pieces in the ~ $1000 range. So I’d get one nice piece, probably $2500 or less, and then a few more at $500 or less, because I really enjoy the variety.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quality>quantity.

What are your watch needs? They all tell time

In Venice, the proprietor of the hotel where I was staying made this observation (and this was directed specifically at Americans, so please note that):

"In Italy, we will spend $100 on a good quality shirt that we will have for years. Americans want to buy 10-$10 shirts that are poor quality and last a season."

I guess that means you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Kind of dealing with this thinking of trading up. My issue is whether to liquidate three rare / semi-rare affordables for a not-rare entry luxe watch. I go back and forth. Took a long time to find the affordables and couldn't easily buy them back even if I wanted to.

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
4,851 Posts
Didn't read the entire thread, but if it were me I would buy one chronograph for $4k. In fact, that might be my next watch, but I already have two favorites.
Aw who am I kidding? You get me, you're all just like me...MORE IS BETTER!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would buy a beater and a GADA. I already own the beater (Citizen Promaster Tough titanium on an Erika's MN elastic band). Don't know what the GADA would be, but it's the optional watch. The beater is the essential one.

141 - 155 of 155 Posts