WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

You just get to choose One!

4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Fullers1845 
I suppose the Casio Range-Beast would be a good choice, but it is super large. Having a lot of technology on your wrist doesn't save your life. In fact, it can do the opposite in a number of situations. I hike/climb mainly alone. I have had solar watches crap out on me. I had a Casio DW-9052 that was torn apart during a climb. I recently had a ProTrek digital mess up that was purchased new. I have a Casio GPS Range-Beast, but rarely wear it.

For adventuring out I have found light-weight and comfort is key. Paying attention to the weather and your surroundings is vital. You want a watch that is very legible and can be seen in low light situations. For a digital I would choose a DW-5600 (resin case so not to mess with compass bearings) with a clip-on compass. For an analog quartz I choose the Marathon Navigator (fiber shell case to not affect compass bearings) with a clip-on compass. For an automatic a Citizen NY0081 with a clip-on compass on the rubber strap away from the case (again to minimize affect on the compass).

ABC watches are useless. Ok maybe not useless, but definitely have limitations. The temperatures are not accurate when worn. The barometric pressure constantly changes with time and/or elevation. The compass is susceptible to a number of local environmental factors. The altimeter is based on the barometric pressure, so as time and elevation change the less accurate the altimeter. It is cool to have these features, but in a real serious situation they really can't be trusted. I would say the compass feature is somewhat reliable, but the rest not so much.

My GPS Rangeman is also not completely accurate. When taking GPS points the altitude varies by as much as 30+ feet when duplicating readings from the watch at the exact location. The GPS does last a long time, but the solar cell is not capable of keeping up with charging the watch when in use. Also, the watch is so bulky you will hit it against rocks, trees, snag it on brush, and constantly be removing dirt and debris from the many corners. It is a neat piece of tech, but just too large in the field to wear 24/7.

These are my choices and I would save the remaining money to purchase gear.

Attachments

What's the title of this thread?

"You just get to choose One!"

Choose one watch. OK, here are five watches. Kind of misses the point of the thread, doesn't it?
🤦‍♂️
I did that. It depended on if I wanted one quartz, or one automatic, or one digital. Thank you for pointing out the obvious. Much appreciated. 👌

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.