WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, Boys!

Somewhere in the next week somebody who owes me some money is finally going to cough it up (the check is in the mail!), and I am going to go on a once-in-a-lifetime spending spree. i am going to buy myself one fine automatic Swiss watch. This watch will be my one and only expensive Swiss watch (for reasons why, see: In Search of the Perfect Watch: Confessions of a former Rolex owner ) so I have to choose wisely.
Problem: I keep going back and forth between the Omega PO Large with an orange bezel and the Speedmaster Professional. Stainless steel bracelet for either. I have wittled it down to one of the two.

Considerations:

1) I really like the style, history, esthetics etc of the Speedmaster. Esthetically, I think it's the better-looking watch.

2) I am rough on watches. The higher water resistance rating of the Seamaster is probably a good idea (I am not taking this watch scuba diving: I have an Orange Monster)

3) The Speedmaster Pro does not have the date. I have become really reliant on wearing watches that have the date (I love the fact that the Orange Monster has day of the week and the date). I think the way the human mind works is as follows: the more you rely on instruments that tell you all sorts of information (The month, day, date, your wife's cell phone number), the more you forget. Whenever I wear my 1950s Longine--with no date--I go batty at work, all day long.

So your answer is--Okay, stupid, just get a Speedmaster with the date function.

That would be like kissing my sister.

If I get a Speedmaster, I want the original. I want the bragging rights of owning a Moon Watch.

4) The Planet Ocean Large with that nasty orange bezel catches peoples' attention from across the room. Guys who are members of this forum--and others who are not--recognize it for what t is from a mile away. Me like that :-d ! Yes, Omegas are incredibly well-made watches, but a big part of what you are paying for is what I call "The Stud Factor". You've all experienced it: you walk into a restaurant, bar, or business meeting, and the eyes of the other guy in the room bulge out like a cartoon wolf, or the maitre d' shouts, "Good evening, sir!" If that wasn't the case, then I would probably by that Swiss orange watch with an HRV on it...

So, you guys vote. Keep in mind: I am not going to realize a year from now that having bought the Seamaster, now I need to buy the Speedmaster, or vice versa.

Tom

PS: It is warm, sunny, and dry in LA. On my lunch break I think I'll walk around Wilshire Blvd staring at ;-) ...

·
Registered
757 Posts
You already have an orange diver. For diversity I'd say Speedmaster. PO is great and all, but the Speedmaster is the only legend among the two.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Speedmaster. Use the minute totalizer to keep track of the date. You only need to worry about eight days every year. . .

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Obviously they are both excellent watches, but I'm more partial to the PO. You can always throw a black bezel on it if you want to class it up a bit.

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
There have been about 2 instances in the past 5 years that someone recognized one of my Omegas. I think most people would notice an orange watch just because of the color, not the brand. I'd go Speedy, I think it will look better to you 10 or 20 years down the line. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
520 Posts
No offense but 99.9% of people are not going to care whats on ur wrist, let alone that you have the "Moon Watch".. Id honestly just pick a watch that you like the look of the best..

As for my vote Id say the PO but I dont know that Orange as your one and only will go with everything and or you may tire of the Orange.. Unless you also buy a black bezel and have the option of swapping..

Edit: ID like to say that 99.9% applies the the USA, if your in some other country maybe things are different..

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts