WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Won this for $92 something at ebay a while ago - plus shipping it came in at just under $100.

Ofcourse the case has a bit of wear, the dial lettering is almost gone and only a couple of the constellation stars are still visable - BUT.. IT IS A 14k gold cap connie! :-d

1968. A great 751 movement, still ticking well and keeping time. Will give it an overhaul soon :)

What's the coolest watch you bought under $100? show them off here :)

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
won on dec 25th 2009 on bay for $99. I overhauled the radial finish the crystal and the gaskets myself:

40s Movado won for $56 in '09 [seller didnt notice sub second hand wedged at bottom of dial]:

Elgin swissonic won for $29 described as not working [it was] in may '09

Diantus won for $26:

Valjean w AS1475 alarm [one blurry photo] won for $25:

Tissot Seastar won on dec 26th 2009 for $42 (described as defective dial...?? It has some mild crazing.):

and while these all seem great and still run very well I also have my share of dogs and watches I paid too much for as well. But thats another thread

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
ALL of my 70+ watches cost less than US$100 (except 2 of my 3 Accutrons, 2 chronos, 2 of my 5 Omegas and 1 Columbus and 1 Gruen (just pipped the post...))

Actually, I think US$100 is an expensive watch :-d What can I say, I'm a low rent WIS :-! I do love a good bargain - and there are a few beauties hiding away.

I guess my favorite of the moment is this 1916 Silver Borgel (arrived yesterday). It's a bloody old nail, but it runs and keeps time, and I wore it all day yesterday on what is surely the original strap. Who needs a minute hand while on holiday - not me :-! Not sure that US$70 for a Borgel is the deal of the decade, but I have rather taken to it and it is a good size at 34mm. Not the best bargain I have had, nor the nicest watch - it is just my flavor of the moment. I am reasonably sure I have a better dial for it.

Rat watches FTW :)

Some random from the top of my head watches follow:

This Benrus owes me a squeak under US$100 if you don't count the new crystal and the strap.

This Orator Moonphase was I think US$50

And here is my US$30 1950 352 Omega bumper

Meh, I could be here all day - that'll do for now.

I hope Marrick posts - he has had some eye watering successes.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
A

I hope Marrick posts - he has had some eye watering successes.
Cheers trim! Like you, I have bought very few expensive ones.

Just a couple for now:

Zodiac Orbiter £46.99

Polo Calendographe - £3.20 - needed a mainspring.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
And here is my US$30 1950 352 Omega bumper

I havnt seen an Omega mens watch go for under a $100 in well over a year-including outright junkers. you did really well with this one

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
umm I posted one too at $92 ;) but yea $30 is a hard bargain!
I know. You get an 'attaboy' as well. I also posted an Omega at $99 but it was from 2009. but trm is right-ebay is a differnt story than a local pick-up. I guess I have to start doing local.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Well you've pretty much described my entire vintage collection!!
It is rare for me to go over $100 on a watch, although I know I eventually will for some of my vintage grails.

I do need to take more pics of my collection, but here are some of my acquisitions...all under $100:

A Universal Geneve that just made the pricing cut off.
UG 4.JPG

Zodiac SST
Zodiac.jpg

Fortis Tuxedo II
Fortis Tuxedo II 2.jpg

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
This is a little like eating Lay's Potato Chips...it's hard to pick just one!

I picked this Eterna Bumper off eBay for the princely sum of $47:

Then found the ad featuring the same watch

Got this Rado Miami for only $50, but it cost a bit to get it back in good shape:

After all, how many watches can one find with their hometown on the dial? Unless you live in Geneva.

I think this Elgin Durabalance ran about $65 and it had a recent service and was ready to wear:

This Bulova Lone Eagle (promoted by Charles Lindbergh) was under $80:

I've paid less that $100 for most of the Hamiltons in my collection. The cheapest men's Hamilton was this Jeffrey B, that was about $25 a few years ago:

The companion Laurie was $10, yes, ten dollars. With its original metal band, yet.

They went as gifts to their namesakes.

This is a fun thread,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Eighty $ each for these:

Mind you, I feel positively ripped off compared to the deals some of you got on some beautiful watches!

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Then found the ad featuring the same watch

Wow. Eterna for-$71-$230 bucks in the 50s?! In 1964 a rolex Submariner was only $195!! Hows that for perspective on horological times.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
$47 on bay in '08

A Sheffield Chrono-Stop for $28

$75 bucks on bay in '08 (but it juts cost a good bit to overhaul it last week)

A $75 embarassment from ...yup, I did... Ukraine. 1941 movemt with modern dial

And one of my favorite dive/world times [currently confiscated/worn by the swiss miss]-Dont know what it is but its branded Trafalgar and runs great:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Wow. Eterna for-$71-$230 bucks in the 50s?! In 1964 a rolex Submariner was only $195!! Hows that for perspective on horological times.
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples. The Eterna for $230 was 14k solid gold where the later Submariner was steel.

A better comparison would be to a similar 14k Rolex Oyster Perpetual from around 1948.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

1 - 20 of 49 Posts