WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have just out bit a regular member on Ebay for a watch. I am not sure. I do not buy a lot of watches from the bay but there are certain peoples auctions that I watch and once in a while a deal comes alone that I can not pass up as was the case a few minutes ago.

I am the kind of person that if I a friend of mine is bidding on an item I will not bid on it and hope they get it. I look at it this way. I can almost certainly find it again later.

Your thought on this?

Anyway brings me to my question. What are your Ebay names? and if I see you bidding on an item I will not bid.

If you are trying to snipe as I do and I out snipe you sorry but I had no idea you were bidding.

I am Stan2323 on the bay.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Interesting thread, but cool that you wouldn't do that as it helps us all out. I'll play too, nick_dolin is the username on eBay that I go by. I'll also go along with the not outbidding other forum members, its like an out of respect deal, I like it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
no offense meant to anyone but i take the view that it is a free or open market. anyone can bid on an item that is on auction. i have been outbidded by others that i know and i don't take any offense.

just my two cents worth. cheers.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Feel free to outbid me. Free market and all. My wife would thank you, too.

However, also feel free to check and see what random bits I'm selling whenever you feel like.

competitioncomposites

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
lexxorcist23. I don't mind being out-sniped, there's plenty more G-Shocks in the 'bay. ;-)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Another forum I belong to has an ebay section for members to link to items they think others may be interested in, together with a sticky thread with the members ebay names. Whilst I will participate in the items found for sale my ebay name is not listed.
If I want something I bid as to my maximum, regardless of who is bidding. If I find something I want when looking through ebay then I won't link to it on the forum.
I have already noticed that people on here have an over inflated view of what they think their watches are worth when it comes to selling them on, I think so far I have only found one thread where the items being sold on was a genuine bargain.

Since in general this site is a collector site this is a very short sighted idea, I will literally outbid my own mother if I want a particular item.

If this was a classic car site, then a slightly different concept so I would see the need for such a thread containing ebay names, or maybe just the items found.
ebay has become so full of dealers with very few individuals selling off no longer wanted watches, many of these listings have near dealer start prices now, the few normal listing are so low that if now simply isn't good anymore.
I personally wish ebay would have two distinct sections one for dealers and one for individuals (this is for all items not just watches) afterall the idea behind what started ebay wasn't for dealers but collectors to swap and sell to each other.
Although I wouldn't regard myself as a dealer I do sell a fair bit on ebay and these sales fund my buying on ebay to the extent that I haven't had to pay using outside funds for a few years now. I sell items at good prices and way below shop prices (virtual or real shops) so my buyers ARE getting a bargain...ok not as good a price as I have paid but still a saving. I have even sold american products back to the US, which even with shipping is cheaper than the items could be bought for in the US...now that IS crazy.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm all for it being left to fate. If you get outbid, then you and that watch just weren't meant to be.

On the other hand, I was the only bidder on my last purchase, which had a very reasonable starting price.

Besides, if we artificially hold down prices what happens when we want to sell? Personally I always do a bit of research on what is a reasonable price before bidding on anything, and will only bid up to what I think is reasonable based on completed auctions-so if the last few went for pennies then that's all I'll bid.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Since in general this site is a collector site
I think of it as an enthusiast site rather than a collector site - even if many enthusiasts are collectors.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I think of it as an enthusiast site rather than a collector site - even if many enthusiasts are collectors.
That's true for me. I didn't start using this forum as a collector, and though I now have a small 'collection', non of them are rare or limited. I'm having fun whatever I am. :)

I've had some great bargains on ebay, including several new G-Shocks between £5 and £10 from dealers. I've only bought one from the WUS private sales forum, but the experience was a good one.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That's true for me. I didn't start using this forum as a collector, and though I now have a small 'collection', non of them are rare or limited. I'm having fun whatever I am. :)
It's hard to define the difference between 'collector' and 'enthusiast'. I often have this discussion at work, where people think of me as a watch collector, while I don't think that's the case.

I think a collector is someone who will buy a watch in order to complete a set (e.g. the last watch in a particular range, or a watch in a color that they didn't own before). It may go straight into the collection without actually being worn first.

An enthusiast buys watches because they actually want that watch to wear.

Another way I look at it is that most 'normal' people may buy, say, three watches over twenty years. They couldn't possibly be described as collectors. At each time they buy a watch, it's because they want that particular watch to wear.

I'm doing exactly the same as these folk, except that I burn through my watches at a much (much!) faster pace.

Not rigorous definitions by any means, but I think they work in a loose kind of way.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Tomatoes, Tomatoes ;-) One or two for daily wear, one or two for best, go over that and you are a collector. Especially if they are of the same brand.

Again another forum that I am an admin has an off topic area and occaisionally threads pop up asking about footwear owned...you have to understand that the average age is mid teens (although there are a few of us oldies about)...the answer to that question can be scary, well it was for me as whilst I don't own loads of sneakers that look like they have never been worn but my footwear ownership is like an episode of Cribs, I ain't a rapper but maybe I was a woman in a previous life :-s I do have a reason for the large collection but then doesn't everyone who has a large number of anything :-d

I have just realised typing this that I have a pair of hi-top sneakers that I have yet to wear...only owned them for 3 years :oops:

But anyhow I will admit to being a collector of some things and an enthusiast of others, some things bought from ebay some not, either way if I want that ebay item I will buy it or push up the current highest bidder to my maximum bid amount, pushing someone up is just one of those things you risk if you bid way before an item ends. I often place a string of bids on items as I know I won't be in when they finish so sometimes I will win sometimes I won't.
I will not use a sniping program due to costs and that might even mean costs for items not the commisions as a snipe program could end up costing you a huge amount if they are only slightly wanted items...I often bid just for the hell of it as in if I win great if not oh well it was only a few pounds.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
No no no I am not a collector! I have about 25 G-Shocks, but that's in case 24 of them break. I'm a cautious enthusiast. :-d

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Not rigorous definitions by any means, but I think they work in a loose kind of way.
They do.

I'm not a collector, but I will for convenience use the term 'collection' as a collective noun. I think I once called my watches a 'small working collection'.

Some signs of a collector:
  • ticking things off in catalogues
  • buying an item purely to complete a set
  • displaying the items
  • ordering the display in some way
  • making lists, compiling databases
  • an interest in variations in an item
  • an interest in marks, serial numbers, etc
  • an interest in values (as opposed to retail prices)
Tick more than one, and you are one. I plead guilty on 'lists and databases'. ;-)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
  • displaying the items
Tick more than one, and you are one. I plead guilty on 'lists and databases'. ;-)
Tribe you should turn this into a poll thread with multiple votes allowed ect and see how people score.

- no ticking off in cataloge
+ I have bought to complete sets
- I do not display them I leave then in a pile on a shelf.
- I do not order the pile o Gs.
- no list or data base.
+ I am interested in variations of items as long as they fit in the sets I like
+ I do like unique case backs ect, Do not care for black G.s I like then colorful.
- I do not care about Value just what a bargin I can get one for.
So I guess I am a collector.

How does anyone eles score?

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
  • displaying the items
I don't think I'm guilty of any of those. I bought a second G8000 in a different colour, but more because I wanted a spare of that model and thought I may as well get a different colour. I also bought a second referee timer, but that was because I decided the normal display was much better than the reverse display I had.

Oh, and a second G3010... but I put that in the washing machine, then shot it. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts