Yours favourite watch by origin.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even though Hamilton is American brand it is now genuinely Swiss made. I believe "Made in ... " should be the definition for origin.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Swiss, German and Japanese (more or less in that order). Russian watchmaking industry is now almost dead so I didn't really consider that option, even if I like many Russian/Sovietic vintage timepieces.
A multi-choice poll would be probably better suited.

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
German and Swiss, dead heat . . .

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'll save everyone a lot of time and arguing: the correct answer is German.

I kid, of course.

In all seriousness though- I am going to go with the German's on this one for a few reasons: one is the Datograph, its movement and decoration, one is the overall stylings of all things Nomos (not to mention their value [sans gold collection]), and one is that ich bin Deutsch, und ich bin berechenbar.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
You should have made it multiple choice.

I think you would find that it would be overwhelmingly Swiss & German.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I don't think owning a watch of a specific origin is necessary to have that origin be his/her favorite, but that's just me.
This. At least it wasn't part of my reasoning. I mentioned a Dato for heaven's sake.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Swiss, German and Japanese (more or less in that order). Russian watchmaking industry is now almost dead so I didn't really consider that option, even if I like many Russian/Sovietic vintage timepieces.
A multi-choice poll would be probably better suited.
Well it's not that dead. There are MC, Vostok, Raketa and Volmax holding respectable positions, in fact they are today much more expensive that they were several years back. Poljot movements are tragic story but you never know....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Invicta got 3 votes :) upssss I meant "American" watch industry :)))
Just kidding

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
I chose "Not Listed", as I prefer watches made in Kiribati, Nauru, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Timor-Leste, Transnistria (I love theirs), Eritrea, or any other number of obscure foreign countries.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Well it's not that dead. There are MC, Vostok, Raketa and Volmax holding respectable positions, in fact they are today much more expensive that they were several years back. Poljot movements are tragic story but you never know....
I wish them all the best... but I'm not holding my breath waiting for a new bright era of Russian watchmaking. Sadly many good movements were phased out, and I think there is no certainty when new interesting ones will be developed, but as you noticed prices have skyrocketed... so I usually find more interesting options from other countries, I still like Russian timepieces, because they introduced me to this hobby though.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Invicta got 3 votes :) upssss I meant "American" watch industry :)))
Just kidding
:roll:

Anyway, I voted American based on vintage efforts: Hamilton, Waltham, Ball, etc. I guess RGM is nice, too.;-)

Second would probably be Swiss or German--hard to decide. PP is fantastic, as is VC, and I think they just edge out ALS for me. But I'm speaking strictly in terms of mainstream high-end brands. In the end, I'd say Swiss is probably second based on vintage pieces.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
No chinese votes??? That's a bit surprising to me - I thought there would be at least one vote...

For me it'll be swiss - mostly for my love of vintages, and also to keep it honest - I have very little experience with some of the other origins, including american, russian and german.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts