WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
5,598 Posts
I'll do even better than that and not only show my first, but also my second real watch (just so I can get some Omega content in to this thread).
The Fortis was a '98 Christmas gift and I got the Speedmaster on January 12, 2000. Both watches still see a lot of action, The Speedmaster more than the Fortis.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

· Registered
1,076 Posts
TAG Heuer 2000 quartz as a graduation gift in 1996. Obtained a technical diploma to go with my degree and it was is time to find a real job!

EDIT - photo inserted!

· Registered
19 Posts
Adding a new perspective here - still looking for that first watch! In a similar situation as many people's first "real" watches, I'm about to graduate college and have a job locked down to start in July. Looking for something practical and an everyday watch that can be worn under a suit - thinking a quartz AT 39mm might be the one if I can find it at the right price.

· Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great way to start your Watch journey and as an all rounder hard to go past an AT. Looks great on lots of straps, 150m water resistance and classic style that won't date. I prefer mechanical myself however with quartz you will get great accuracy and probably cheaper long term with servicing ect. I think I saw one on the sales forum at the moment for a reasonable price around $8-900 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
5,451 Posts
TAG Heuer 2000 quartz as a graduation gift in 1996. Obtained a technical diploma to go with my degree and it was is time to find a real job!

EDIT - photo inserted!

You never see these TAG Classic 2000 anymore - I have that same watch in my collection too. I don't wear it anymore because it feels to small to me now. I actually gave it to my younger brother because of that, but it didn't have enough links to fit him and he sent it back to me, so I gave him a cheap Hamilton instead.

To answer the OP's question, in 1987 I started with an early 1970's Rolex 1501 Oyster Perpetual Date that had been my grandfather's, and I cherished it until 2011 when it was stolen. By then it was also feeling too small to wear much, and I'd kept it in a fireproof box for safekeeping for several years, when the entire box was stolen. I had planned to give to my son when he achieved the rank of Eagle scout, which happened 2 years after it was stolen. Very sad still.

· Registered
4,607 Posts
Ausman:
First real watch was an A11. WW2 Mil Issue.
Made by 4 American watch Companies. Bought mine in 1949 at 12 y.o.
36mm case. 16 jewels. Hamilton 359 movement. Hand cranker.

Sold it in 1955 to buy my 1st RR Grade Hamilton pocketwatch to use as
Fireman and later Engr on CR&P RR.

Guess this qualifies as "My first real watch".

X Traindriver Art

· Registered
66 Posts
My first "real" watch was my father's early 1980s Omega quartz dress watch, which I have had since high school. The first "real" tool watch was a Seiko quartz diver, that I've had for maybe 14 years; it is on it's fourth battery and second case, and I have taken it with me to a depth of 151 feet. I still wear it from time to time, although I wear automatics mostly (like my trusty Seiko SKX007). Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

· Registered
1,076 Posts
@DocJekl - sorry to hear about the loss of your first watch! That deserves a "dislike", but the best I can do is "like" your post! Did your son end up with a watch in the end?

As for the TAG 2000, yes it is a bit small but that doesn't bother me. My wrist measures about 6 3/4 inches. Maybe I'm just used to wearing it after 20 years. After wearing my Omega SMP as my everyday watch since last summer, the TAG does feel a bit small. But it feels very comfortable and almost disappears into my wrist! It is very light and thin compared to the Omega, and it doesn't get caught or contact anything when I wear it. One thing I do admit is that I probably abused my TAG 2000 as I didn't appreciate it as I do now. I decided to get it refurbished by TAG Customer Service and probably spent more on the service than the watch is worth. But I'm still happy I did that, and will always keep it. Maybe some day one of my daughters will want it???

Reactions: nigelw

· Registered
5,451 Posts
Very disappointing mate, good to hear your son achieved his goal, hope he was still rewarded with something nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For becoming an Eagle Scout I gave him a midsize Omega Seamaster Pro 2252.50 automatic wind which he outgrew 2 years later. We replaced it with a larger 42mm NOS Planet Ocean 2500 that cost 2x as much but was found to be defective when we brought it home.

So we returned it for a brand new SMPc chronograph that cost 2x as much again, like the one I'm wearing today (we both had one at the time). Then last year we traded that in at the Denver OB to upgrade to an X-33 Skywalker that cost 2x as much again, and I made up the difference.

At the time he'd thought he was trading me his SMPc chronograph for a nice 5.2 surround sound system, since he'd received a Bond quartz for his 18th birthday, but instead of keeping the watch for myself or selling it and keeping the cash, I really used the watch to get his X-33 and he got to keep the stereo system. This X-33 he promises he'll keep forever, even if he's acted like a serial flipper before.

Reactions: nigelw

· Registered
5,451 Posts
@DocJekl - sorry to hear about the loss of your first watch! That deserves a "dislike", but the best I can do is "like" your post! Did your son end up with a watch in the end?

As for the TAG 2000, yes it is a bit small but that doesn't bother me. My wrist measures about 6 3/4 inches. Maybe I'm just used to wearing it after 20 years. After wearing my Omega SMP as my everyday watch since last summer, the TAG does feel a bit small. But it feels very comfortable and almost disappears into my wrist! It is very light and thin compared to the Omega, and it doesn't get caught or contact anything when I wear it. One thing I do admit is that I probably abused my TAG 2000 as I didn't appreciate it as I do now. I decided to get it refurbished by TAG Customer Service and probably spent more on the service than the watch is worth. But I'm still happy I did that, and will always keep it. Maybe some day one of my daughters will want it???
I had mine serviced by my local watchmaker a couple of years ago, after I got it back from my brother. I tried to give it to my wife but she ended up with a 30mm TAG Aquaracer.

Here's a bad iPhone photo taken just now (wrong date, haven't set it for a few months). Look how small it is vs the SMPc chronograph that I have on today.

Attachments

Reactions: Ausman600
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.