WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a story regarding buying your first luxury watch?

- what peaked your interest in watches in the first place?
- was their any particular reason for picking the watch you did for your first luxury watch?

I'd love to hear your feedback as I myself am starting to think about my own first luxury watch purchase...

Happy Friday everyone!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Hello OP!

My first watch was my Breitling. I actually initially bought it because I got an amazing deal and thought I would flip it. At the time I really didnt know much about watches or have to much interest in them. Once it was in my possession though I could not let it go. I work in a field where everyone gets a little flashy so it complimented my work well.

Fast forward a couple years and I inherited several watches from my Grandfather, this really catapulted me into watches. Ever since I have been hooked!

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I wanted a watch to remind me of my very first watch ever but I wanted something special.
I spend a fair bit of time stuck in traffic and I wanted something to look at while I was stuck.
I'm a huge fan of the bauhaus and the Deutscher Werkbund movement.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
The first luxury watch I bought was a two tone Rolex Datejust, and the experience was sublime. I received the royalty treatment despite buying it at a discount. I was served champagne and gifted some nice Rolex paraphernalia along with my purchase. It was an unforgettable experience which solidified the relationship with my AD.

I regularly receive invitations to special watch events organized by them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not luxury and also was a gift. Seiko with lume. I was 12 and still have the watch. Used to go hide in the blanket just to watch it glow.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I got an early start in watches when I was 14 years old. My first luxury watch purchase was triggered by becoming friends with one member of the Benoit family (Rolex representatives for Latin America) that was in my highschool class (back in the early 80s). He educated me a lot about watches and I got the bug. He sold me a used Explorer II for $700 (friends price) which I kept for all my years in highschool. When I graduated, I traded the watch with him for a two tone used GMT Master. That watch among others was stolen during a break in in my house 25 years ago. I didn't buy another high priced watch until this year when I finally got over the huge loss I took.
Today I prefer to keep a very small collection of 3 to 4 watches. I have been upgrading gradually and plan to continue to do so over time. I hope I can reach 3 high end watches and stay there: 1 dress (AL&S), 1 daily (PP Nautilius in SS), 1 sports (VC Overseas Chrono) and one beater el cheapo.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I always liked watches, ever since I was a little kid.

My 1st automatic (Oris Williams F1) was a Christmas present from my wife.......little did she know the pandoras box she opened with that gift, lol

·
Registered
29,588 Posts
At the time the watch below was my idea of a luxury watch - I was 11. I still have this watch and it runs fine, here's a pic before I installed a new battery:

image.jpg

Always been into watches, had a few hand me downs and some vintage ones I picked up along the way - an old JLC and Seamaster but never bought anything I loved; I couldn't justify the outlay.

I came close to buying a Tag Carerra for years but ultimately decided against it. Price aside, my heart was always after a first issue Carrera (i.e. from 633/64).

That all kinda died until three years ago a friend of mine bought an LV Sub which raised my interest in watches again and decided 'f.ck it. I've wanted something high end for an eternity let's look properly'.

By this stage I had moved away from chronos and also realised the pit falls of Vintage. JLC was another brand I loved so after a lot of research bought this:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
What got me into watches was that I didn't want to keep having to take my phone out.

What got me into luxury watches was this forum.... It sure is a double edge sword

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
image.jpeg image.jpeg

First watch was a Timex when i was about 10/11yo.
First luxury watch was a pressie to myself for my 25th wedding anniversary.
Always loved watches.

·
Premium Member
4,494 Posts
In 1989 at the age of 22, I purchased my first luxury watch. It was a Rolex, and it was used (sold in 1981 in Jamaica according to the paperwork). I liked it because it looked like the more popular Submariner, and it was only $855 USD.
BTW, it was a 1665 Great White Sea Dweller, and I would have to pay about $13k USD to get another.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I'll try to make this a quick read....

Back in the early 90s, as a cocky 20-something, I bought my first nice watch...a Tag Heuer. Worked hard for it, loved it. Like many 20-somethings, at some point I ended up ass backwards financially and actually pawned the watch to make ends meet. It was a true rock-bottom moment, one I never forget....and one that somehow turned me away from watches.

Fast forward 20 years. Wife, kids, comfortable lifestyle...no thoughts about watches. Dad passes away, and aside from his dog tags there's really nothing "sentimental" to be passed along in the family. I decide to revisit watches, as a keepsake in dad's memory..and as something my son may someday come to cherish.

It had to come from dad. I could've bought it myself...but doing so wouldn't have meant as much. Raised the funds from some estate items. Felt it had to be done that way.

Shopped endlessly. Read reviews, looked at the forum favorites. Kept shopping. Spent hours online, at boutiques...

Then, one day at the mall I stumbled upon some Tag Heuers. Really hadn't looked at them,....was thinking on a "grander" scale. Saw one that simply called out to me. Went home, did my due dilegence...saw the "in-house" debacle...didn't care. Couldn't stop thinking about the watch. It was a Carrera 1887 chronograph, silver dial on black leather.

It marked where I had been, a reminder of the difficult times. It represented where I was, what I had overcome in my own life. It had characteristics remeniscent of my dad...an elegant, yet sporty vibe. I knew it was the right watch, never really had to question it.

It remains my one sentimental piece, not because of what it is...but because of what it represents. It's a watch I will never sell, a watch that will be passed on to my son...the watch his grandad bought, the watch his dad bought.

Left out a lot of details, Friday night and all....hope that manages to tie together and make some sense.

·
Registered
111 Posts
my first watch was a casio back in the 80s. I still have one casio similar to what I had decades ago. for some reason, it has a memory.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Welcome to the forums! My first mechanical watch (of any value) was an Oris Bob Dylan which was something of an impulse buy. I came to WUS to see how I did... Once the the watch arrived, I was hooked...

·
Premium Member
61,607 Posts
I've worn a watch since I was about 4 and wanted a Rolex since I was just a lad so it was only natural that when I had a bit of spare money the Rolex dealer was my first stop. I've retired my DJ now and my only regret is that I'm not disciplined enough to save for another one.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I've always thought sweeping second hands are cool because that's how time runs, not in discrete increments. Also, one of my dad's bosses back in the day had an Explorer II Polar white dial which I thought was the coolest thing since whatever. As I got older and watched what others wore, I noticed vintage DJs and liked their look.

Getting to the workplace after college, I bought a quartz Tag Pro 2000 because I wanted to have a "name" on my wrist. Wore it for a number of years, then didn't work for a number of years. Getting back to the workplace, I was buying mall-store Seikos but was never happy with them. Once I got some money saved up, I got serious and started learning more about "keeper" watches, primarily through this site.

My first informed watch purchase was Omega AT 2500. It was about 4 years ago and I still have it and enjoy it. Since then, I've acquired *cough cough* additional watches and spent *cough cough* additional money on this peculiar hobby.

20150811_wruw.jpg

This watch still looks good!

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Of my current watches, the order I purchased (or was given) them in was - best as I can remember...

Cyma, Movado, Citizen, Epos, Hamilton, Seiko, Steinhart, Wittnauer Vintage, Omega Vintage, Seiko, Nomos, Seiko, Glashutte Original

So where did I cross into "luxury"? Epos? Nomos? GO? If I knew that, I'd tell you why/how I got it. :)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Back in my twenties I was wearing a Seiko Bell-Matic given to me by my wife at our wedding. One day at work the alarm went off and a colleague who heard it asked to see the watch. During our watch conversation she mentioned that her uncle was a watch maker for Rolex in NYC and was retiring in a few months. One thing led to another and I was able to buy my first Rolex, through her uncle with an employee discount. It was a two-tone DateJust that I wore everyday for ten years.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Back in my twenties I was wearing a Seiko Bell-Matic given to me by my wife at our wedding. One day at work the alarm went off and a colleague who heard it asked to see the watch. During our watch conversation she mentioned that her uncle was a watch maker for Rolex in NYC and was retiring in a few months. One thing led to another and I was able to buy my first Rolex, through her uncle with an employee discount. It was a two-tone DateJust that I wore everyday for ten years.
That's a cool story about your first Rolex! I wanted to buy a Sub in the late Seventies but there was no discount, so I refused to buy one. So I bought a 2 tone Seiko Quartz instead. When I did buy my first Rolex 'Date', gave the Seiko to my brother & it's still working today. Funny how this Watch World turns...

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I have always been interested in watches since I was a little kid. My dad had a 1948 Seamaster that was an automatic and the secondhand just swept around the dial without stopping, or so it seemd when I was little. As I grew up I had the usual assortment of Timex and Timex-like watches and Seikos. At one point my grandmother bought me a Pulsar when the digital watch first came out. When the Swatches were new, I had a couple of those as well.

Then I bought a Seiko Kinetic Sport 100 Titanium that was billed as the last watch you would ever need. It would, they said, last forever and never need batteries or maintenance. Two weeks after the three-year warranty ran out it died. Seiko refused to provide the needed repair parts either under an extended warranty or for purchase. It turns out the capacitors were virtually impossible to get and all of them they could get their hands on we're going for warranty repairs. That left me without a watch.

Shortly after the Seiko died and I finally accepted that Seiko was hanging me out to dry, we had a wedding anniversary. The concept of the Seiko was, effectively, an automatic watch. It's just that the rotor powered up a capacitor rather than a spring and the movement was quartz rather than mechanical. That got me thinking about mechanical automatic watches. For our anniversary, my wife took me to a jewelry store that had a variety of brands. About the only brand that was both luxury and affordable at that store was Tag Heuer. After much looking and trying on of watches, we left the store with the two-tone 2000. I still have the watch and it is still going strong. It has however gained a few other stablemates along the way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts