WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

my oncle just stopped by and asked me to put a value on his rolex. First thing, i didnt know he was wearing watches, second thing, i didnt know he had a rolex !!

He bought this 16750 gmt master pepsi bezel at sydney airport on 1986, 1987 or 1988 (he cant remember).
He lost box and papers, but had the watch authentified and serviced last year.

The watch is in great shape, a few marks on bracelet and plexiglas with time, but bezel is perfect. Everything part is 100% original.

Morelver, it has a "spider" dial, which i believe is very sought after.

What do you think ? Let me know please.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
A couple things.......

Unfortunately, We don't do valuations here on this forum. A quick search of completed listings on Ebay should give you a reasonable idea of value. Original box and papers are nice, but service papers also go a long ways at helping the value of a watch.

Keeping the watch as original as possible is fairly important to preserve future value. This includes dial, hands, bezel insert, bezel, and case. Replacement of the bracelet, crown/tube, and worn movement parts is generally acceptable.

There are two schools of thought on spider dials. First, that they command a premium. Second, that they are a defect, and are actually less desirable. Most hard-core collectors fall into the second category. Generally speaking.....I haven't ever really noticed much of a premium for them in actual sales. I have seen some sellers attempting to get a premium, but my experience has been to see these watches sit on different sales venues when this premium is asked in the sales price.

Nice watch, and your Uncle should be proud to own it. I can assure you it is worth substantially more than he paid for it. :-!

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Never seen a dial like that before. Thanks for sharing the pic.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help. It seems like it should worth around 5500-6000$.

Im not into vintage watches, and i always get mine in perfect conditions / flawless. But i assume there's a market for 30 years old rolex. My oncle might sell it, that's why he asked me for a value indicator. And i'm sure he will aslo ask me to take the sale in charge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts